Suggestions for boxing ring truckmount battle...

Name
Robert Falzone
I'm not an engineer, just a sales guy, but I'm trying to think of some unique, fun to watch truckmount tests for Mikey's Boxing Ring at The Experience. Any truckmount looks impressive at 100 ft. but let's pull a thousand and see the manufacturers sweat a little bit. I'm thinking we put two 55 gallons drums side by side and test water flow and heat by seeing who can fill the drum the hottest and fastest. Then we use the vac hose to see who can empty the filled drum the fastest. Of course there will be gadgets like CFM meters and PSI gauges on hand, but I'm looking for some fun visual stuff.

What kind of visual tests do you want to see?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
But the truckmounts should all be new and not some run down units.

F

FB7777

I'm not an engineer, just a sales guy, but I'm trying to think of some unique, fun to watch truckmount tests for Mikey's Boxing Ring at The Experience. Any truckmount looks impressive at 100 ft. but let's pull a thousand and see the manufacturers sweat a little bit. I'm thinking we put two 55 gallons drums side by side and test water flow and heat by seeing who can fill the drum the hottest and fastest. Then we use the vac hose to see who can empty the filled drum the fastest. Of course there will be gadgets like CFM meters and PSI gauges on hand, but I'm looking for some fun visual stuff.

What kind of visual tests do you want to see?
The more things change , the more they stay the same.

Reminds me of how all the old salesmen used to sell truckmounts, bash the competition and tell everyone how hot and powerful their unit is

1000 foot hose run??!!!

Screw the boxing ring... Just set it up in the men's room

You sales guys are just gonna be swinging your dicks and pissing on each other anyways

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
WHAT!

YOU SNAKE OIL SALESMAN..........$28 FOR SNAKE OIL?

Name
Robert Falzone
I'm young enough to outlive them. I'll be fine. The only reason to have a tradeshow is to sell stuff. Selling stuff pays for the tradeshows. If cleaners wanted to hang out together for mutual company and not be harassed by salespeople then they should goto McDonald's and hold hands while sipping coffee. It's a lot cheaper for everyone involved and the Supreme Court says it's ok now.

If there isn't any support of this idea, then we don't have to do it. Mikey is doing the boxing ring theme and I was trying to build on the theme with an idea. I just don't like seeing all these machines running in the back with short hose runs and they all look like they can conquer the world. A lot of ignorant masses don't know the difference. I love it when folks who are browsing cup their hand over a machine's vac port and nod their head like they can measure the CFM and lift that way. If they tried the same test at several hundred feet away then they can tell the true measure of a machine.

We have some time yet. We'll see what pans out. Either way the Boxing Ring idea will be a great theme that'll be copied somewhere else eventually.

Mikey P

Administrator
It's up to you Robert.

But I'd expect some backlash from the makers of the units that back fire the water all over your shoes to have something to say to Aramsco..

Name
Robert Falzone
I have a lot of fears in life, but fear of vendors isn't one of them. 1000 ft. of hose was over the top and intended to get some attention and some alternative suggestions.

We have a good suggestion that we put 150 ft. of hose on the truckmount and see who can produce the most CFM and lift. Once we get to 150 ft. we can use standard meters to do the test. Do we want to do anything else to test the machine? Do we want to put it under load? If so, how much of a load? Do we want to test water pressure, water flow and heat? If so, how?

If the people want it, we'll do it. If all we want is free beer, I can do that too. :)

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I'm personally not interested in a thousand foot hose run. I've cleaned a lot of carpet and have never run anywhere near that.

It might provide a (very) small amount of entertainment BUT you're not doing your clients any real favors.

Know your product and teach your clients as much as they'd like to know about it.

Set up a real world situation with @ 150' hose run. I think many would be interested in how hot at what flow and how much (factory) lift. Measure and note the data. Look for excuses the TM manufacturer might use BEFORE doing the testing. Take away the excuses.

Brian is right about set up and tear down time. It is important, very important to some.

Space in the van is important too. Many NEED the ability to fit lots of extra tools in there like a rotary extractor, tile spinner, vacuum cleaner, air movers, in line filter, wand, stair tool, upholstery tool(s), HF sprayer, Seal a Door, etc...

And by fit, I mean "only handle it once" convenience and efficiency, not tons of crap thrown in the back making it very difficult to work out of.

Reactions: hogjowl

Mikey P

Administrator
Personally I'd like to see 200 feet used.

Trucks that are set up for 2.5 should use 50 feet of it.

And a vacuum gauge and heat/lie detector

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Personally I'd like to see 200 feet used.

Trucks that are set up for 2.5 should use 50 feet of it.

And a vacuum gauge and heat/lie detector

Someone would have to bring some extra 2 inch then....because I am rigged with 100 feet of 2.5 all the time on my trucks :)

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I'd say 200 feet is a good enough distance. I do run longer but not very frequently.

1. Yes real heat, water lift and airflow measured at that distance (not at machine) will be very informative.
  2. It would also be interesting to see actual water recovery from carpet. Say an exact measured amount was sprayed on carpet, brushed in and carpet was passed with forward/backward dry pass (at a measured time). Then exact recovered amount will be measured. It will show us if one machine recovers more than the others.
  3. And since there's always the debate between what dries carpet faster- water lift or air flow, measure exact moisture level say a three minutes after passes. That way we'll be able to see which system will actually dry carpet faster.
What would tickle me pink, would be to see records from multiple suppliers, as to which system is seen less and which more for repairs.

Ron K

New Schmoo. Why not find units with 1000 hours or 2000 hours then run the test. Manufacturers who can't find older machines ...well they can bring a new one and explain why they are replacing for free all their older stuff. Or if you really want to battle bot it why not have an open competition any builder private or public. Also with the set up/break down question, which I thought was brilliant and very valid, do the 150'suck a barrel/fill a barrel and put it away contest. Timed and results!
Oh I won't be there I'll be busy making money.

Reactions: Brian H

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
On the drop the hose in the bucket test....

Actually, that is really not healthy for any PTO shaft Truckmount.

Undue stress on the unit, and something we never do when on water loss either....

So, that would be one that since I am paying for this truck and do like to get a lot of miles and hours out of them....not sure I would really like that part :)

Reactions: Brian H

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Get the machines up to operating temp, measure the temp ATM. Then key down for 10 minutes straight - again measure the temp ATM. Least temperature loss wins.

Complete belt change contest - Timed from "go", ends with successfully starting the unit. (including proper tensioning - no slipping belts) - fastest time wins.

Truth of specification contest - manufacturer closest to published specs (cfm, gpm, temp) wins.

Reactions: Brian H and Russ T.
F

FB7777

Don't blame you one bit Mark.

Forgive my snarky mens room pissing contest remark, didn't mean to insult you personally Mr Falzone.

When I made the move from Bane to Butler, I encountered nothing but long winded bloviating salesmen presenting unrealistic heat and CFM numbers under optimal conditions and claiming theirs was the best.

If you're in sales, you should believe strongly in the equipment you represent, but the true gauge for a guy like me are the following...
Ease of use for technicians

How long has the company been producing the unit

Reliability

Butler was the ONLY company that didn't mention the competition or their shortcomings as they perceived them to be.

It's how I conduct business, and it left the most positive impression on me

Of course, a boxing ring atmosphere lends for the testosterone type testing ideas , which is essentially all you can pretty much illustrate in a parking lot. I have a 15 year old Butler that goes out to clean nearly everyday still, which is older than many of the units that will be in the competition.

200 feet seems like a reasonable testing length

At the end of the day, I suppose it's bragging rights .

But in the real world, it seems more often than not that the highest performance machines in any endeavor require the highest maintenance

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom