The VALUE of excellence.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
We just pushed our largest customer (LARGE prop mgr) to go to rotary extraction on ALL of their units, EVERY time! Found out Thursday.

Price was increased on every unit. This is how I LOVE to sell! Education and results!

We only currently service half of their properties around central IA because I can only do so much alone. And they are growing!!!

It's time to hire. Maybe consider an additional truck.

Jacked up about this right now. Apartments have been a struggle due to carpet hacks everywhere, willing to always go CHEAPER.

We won't play that game anymore. They are seeing the VALUE of excellence!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Good for you, Russ!!

I started life as "$30-$40-$60/1-2-3 br rm apt hack"
actually, i was never a hack and gave incredible results for WAY TOO CHEAP (like a lot of new start-ups til they figure it out)

when i started to figure it out, I fired some and got fired by some.
along the way, i discovered there ARE "some" complexes/prop mngers that WILL pay a fair price

.L.T.A.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
The "Kid" is alright :winky:

Gotta be a little more patient but you will be far better off over the long term.
Just dont become retarded and take it too far.

Find the sweet spot of volume/profit.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
We just pushed our largest customer (LARGE prop mgr) to go to rotary extraction on ALL of their units, EVERY time! Found out Thursday.

Price was increased on every unit. This is how I LOVE to sell! Education and results!

We only currently service half of their properties around central IA because I can only do so much alone. And they are growing!!!

It's time to hire. Maybe consider an additional truck.

Jacked up about this right now. Apartments have been a struggle due to carpet hacks everywhere, willing to always go CHEAPER.

We won't play that game anymore. They are seeing the VALUE of excellence!

Congrats man,
I have a couple properties here that use me exclusively even though I am the most expensive. They see the value that I offer. Since going with me they don't replace carpet nearly as often.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
when i started to figure it out, I fired some and got fired by some.
along the way, i discovered there ARE "some" complexes/prop mngers that WILL pay a fair price

It's true, we have a couple apartment complexes/pm's that will pay what we ask(normally minimum charge none are very big).

It's not always the "nice" apartments that will pay what you want, try not to pre judge!

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Yep, cleaning is only half of the value if that.

Show up on time, sober and without sweatpants and you just beat 8:10 competitors.
If ya can stop from hitting on the daughter 9:10 :winky:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
This won't change our lives a whole lot right now but it has helped me to see where they are at. It's a no brainier for them, I think.

Apartments might make for excellent training grounds too.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Apartments might make for excellent training grounds too.

Indeed they do, Russ.
not only teaching rookies about technique and efficiency...
but they're also the perfect proving ground for side by side evaluations of chems and equipment

Make the time to do side by side eval's on the trashed ones, and you won't have to take anyone's work for it ....you'll actually "know" what's "good, better and best"

..L.T.A.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I don't know if I've ever told this story before on here, but I still can't believe how I got in with one property mgmt. company. I was sitting at the table eating supper (that's dinner down south) and my dog let me know somebody was coming up the front walk. I looked out and it was two well dressed 30 something ladies looking like they were going to church. I muttered something under my breath and got up to go answer the door, irritated at the interruption. My wife asked me what was up and I waiting until I was almost at the glass door before answering (so they would hear me), "I don't know, it looks like a couple of Jehovah's Wittnesses at the door!"

It wasn't Jehovah's Wittnesses.

It was two office personnel that worked at what I assume is one of the largest property mgmt companies in our area. I had cleaned the home of one of them and she couldn't remember my name, but knew where I lived. She's come looking for me because they were tired of the run around some of the cleaners they'd been using put them through. They's just caught one of them (one of the largest companies in our hood) sending out invoices for houses they never cleaned.

I went through the hoops to get on their vendor list, but told the office person right up front it probably wouldn't work out, because I would be higher priced than what they were used to. It WAS touch and go for awhile. They were just telling their renters to call off their vendor list, and of course they were choosing the cheapest ones. So, I didn't get a whole lot of work at first. But, one of their busiest property managers/realtors called me on a weekend asking if I could go get a kool-aid stain out of a house she has sold that day. I went and did it, and she was really appreciative. So, she started sending everything she could my way, and actually had her rental agreements changed to read my company was the have to use company. I still can't believe she was able to get away with that. Once she started using me, then a couple more did and they both also changed their rental agreements. I now have four of the 8 property managers using me exclusively, and the other 4 using me when possible. I fully expect to get a couple more of the final 4 this year.

Of COURSE, the issue of my prices came up quickly. She asked me why I was so high and I told her how I cleaned and drew her attention back to the jobs I had done for her. The ones I knew she was really impressed with. I explained to her something I just took for granted she already knew. The fact that their current practices rewarded their renters for picking the cheapest (and thereby worst) companies to clean for them. I told her that until they stopped giving them a choice of who they used, they would continue to get poor cleaning. I still can't believe it, but she actually understood what I was saying and took it up with the rest of the managers at their next staff meeting. I don't know this for a fact, but I think a couple of them were told to start writing up their rental agreements to exclude everybody else and just see how it all worked out. This all happened last year, and over the course of the move out season I picked up the first two and then a third.

This year, I still have those three and a fourth. I am so busy I need a second van RIGHT NOW and another guy to run it, but it's only two and a half to three months out of the year that they keep me this busy, so I'm not going to go crazy and get into debt over their work ... not yet, anyway.

Besides, I'm waiting on their renters to start complaining about not having a choice and have my work yanked out from under me at any time.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I don't know if I've ever told this story before on here, but I still can't believe how I got in with one property mgmt. company. I was sitting at the table eating supper (that's dinner down south) and my dog let me know somebody was coming up the front walk. I looked out and it was two well dressed 30 something ladies looking like they were going to church. I muttered something under my breath and got up to go answer the door, irritated at the interruption. My wife asked me what was up and I waiting until I was almost at the glass door before answering (so they would hear me), "I don't know, it looks like a couple of Jehovah's Wittnesses at the door!"

It wasn't Jehovah's Wittnesses.

It was two office personnel that worked at what I assume is one of the largest property mgmt companies in our area. I had cleaned the home of one of them and she couldn't remember my name, but knew where I lived. She's come looking for me because they were tired of the run around some of the cleaners they'd been using put them through. They's just caught one of them (one of the largest companies in our hood) sending out invoices for houses they never cleaned.

I went through the hoops to get on their vendor list, but told the office person right up front it probably wouldn't work out, because I would be higher priced than what they were used to. It WAS touch and go for awhile. They were just telling their renters to call off their vendor list, and of course they were choosing the cheapest ones. So, I didn't get a whole lot of work at first. But, one of their busiest property managers/realtors called me on a weekend asking if I could go get a kool-aid stain out of a house she has sold that day. I went and did it, and she was really appreciative. So, she started sending everything she could my way, and actually had her rental agreements changed to read my company was the have to use company. I still can't believe she was able to get away with that. Once she started using me, then a couple more did and they both also changed their rental agreements. I now have four of the 8 property managers using me exclusively, and the other 4 using me when possible. I fully expect to get a couple more of the final 4 this year.

Of COURSE, the issue of my prices came up quickly. She asked me why I was so high and I told her how I cleaned and drew her attention back to the jobs I had done for her. The ones I knew she was really impressed with. I explained to her something I just took for granted she already knew. The fact that their current practices rewarded their renters for picking the cheapest (and thereby worst) companies to clean for them. I told her that until they stopped giving them a choice of who they used, they would continue to get poor cleaning. I still can't believe it, but she actually understood what I was saying and took it up with the rest of the managers at their next staff meeting. I don't know this for a fact, but I think a couple of them were told to start writing up their rental agreements to exclude everybody else and just see how it all worked out. This all happened last year, and over the course of the move out season I picked up the first two and then a third.

This year, I still have those three and a fourth. I am so busy I need a second van RIGHT NOW and another guy to run it, but it's only two and a half to three months out of the year that they keep me this busy, so I'm not going to go crazy and get into debt over their work ... not yet, anyway.

Besides, I'm waiting on their renters to start complaining about not having a choice and have my work yanked out from under me at any time.

That is the longest post I have ever seen from Marty....

Nice Job! :biggrin: :clap:

Reactions: Russ T. and hogjowl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom