This child of mine ...

hogjowl

Idiot™
He's been working for me now for about 2 years ... ???... I think. Maybe 1.5 years. Anyway ...
people love him. I didn't realize how much a father and son team is liked! Yesterday, I had an old yankee lady, who was not all that friendly, hire us to do a move out cleaning. She paid with a CC on Square. I didn't realize that our customers could leave reviews on Square, but she left one that said "truly professional father and son team". This morning, we cleaned for an old widow woman who I'd cleaned for a couple of years ago. She was not all that happy to see my son, because he has a beard and beards are not accepted by old people in the south. Never understood that, but whatever. While we were in the house, he asked me a question and called me Dad. I heard her ask him if he'd called me Dad, and from that point on she talked to him totally differently.

If I'd known all this when he was 18, I wouldn't have wasted two years of college on him. I'd have made him come to work sooner.

No need to worry though, just because I have a father and son team doesn't mean I'm going to start posting endless videos.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I wouldn't have wasted two years of college on him
Its never wasted, he got a chance to experience it. Maybe it isn't his thing at the moment but he at least knows what its all about.

He's a good kid, we all knew that, he had a parent that cared enough to raise him right. That gave him a solid upbringing, one that not all kids get the benefit of.

Yep much thanks to his mother! :winky:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Customers always love seeing my sons. If I yell at them enough, the customer feels bad for them and gives them a nice tip.
Ever heard a kid ask their dad to yell at them?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
If I'd known all this when he was 18, I wouldn't have wasted two years of college on him. I'd have made him come to work sooner.

For the rest of his life he can proudly say, "I went to college". Lots of people don't graduate or want/need to graduate.

I'd give anything to keep this going til my sons are old enough to work with me.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
My stepson turns 14 in April. He very well may be dragging hose for me when I have "apartment days" this Summer.

Kid eats like a horse and needs to see what it takes to provide for a family.

I spend TONS of time with my family outside of work. Not sure I want to start taking them with me though.

Kinda torn...

Name
Nate W.
For the rest of his life he can proudly say, "I went to college". Lots of people don't graduate or want/need to graduate.

I'd give anything to keep this going til my sons are old enough to work with me.

Sh!t, there's a ton of people that went to college, graduated top in there class working at the Walgreens or something other than what they went to college for... And still got that student loan to pay for.....

Reactions: Cleantechsk

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Not sure why the old Southerners don't like beards. They need to look at a few pictures of their old Civil War generals, very few were clean shaven.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
He's been working for me now for about 2 years ... ???... I think. Maybe 1.5 years. Anyway ...
people love him. I didn't realize how much a father and son team is liked! Yesterday, I had an old yankee lady, who was not all that friendly, hire us to do a move out cleaning. She paid with a CC on Square. I didn't realize that our customers could leave reviews on Square, but she left one that said "truly professional father and son team". This morning, we cleaned for an old widow woman who I'd cleaned for a couple of years ago. She was not all that happy to see my son, because he has a beard and beards are not accepted by old people in the south. Never understood that, but whatever. While we were in the house, he asked me a question and called me Dad. I heard her ask him if he'd called me Dad, and from that point on she talked to him totally differently.

No need to worry though, just because I have a father and son team doesn't mean I'm going to start posting endless videos.

Pretty exciting to hear such positive things happening Marty.

I sure hope it continues to grow....and you will possibly still need some naps....

Especially as it continues to get busy because of the little old ladies taking a liking to the Father - Son team.... :)

No videos needed....but the first one that comes out....I am going to book MARK :lol:

Hope you have a great cleaning season and continue to grow!

Reactions: hogjowl

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thank you for sharing that story Marty. From everything you have shared with us, its obvious that you are proud of the young man, and that he's earned it and continues to earn it.

Working in the shadow of a better known father is an experience I understand, and my guess is your son will find his way by learning from you and also developing his own reputation with your customers. Just wait for the day someone to say "Oh you must be (your son's name) father" instead of them saying to him "You must be Marty's son.."

My father asked me to never call him "dad" in a business setting when I was about 13. He felt it would be like me pulling rank with other employees. Its so natural now for me to refer to him as or call him Lee that some have thought we were brothers, or sadly, that we were estranged from one another.

Neither is the case, but had you and your son did that, you would not being having this remarkable and positive experience. I hope, and I think we all hope, to hear more about this growth in him and your company from you.

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
In the making of this picture, no lives were harmed nor any carpets or furniture damaged, nor were any child labor laws broken............as far as the authorities know!

Introducing to you for the first time seen in public, my son Bryce.....

Bryceman.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Bryce's picture takes me back over 40 years Bryan

I started hauling buckets of water on night commercial jobs at 9. Got put on the payroll and pulled a wand (drag wand in those days) at 13.

Missed the 1974 Steelers/Vikings Super Bowl sucking sewage out of carpet....in tennis shoes :eekk:

OK...I will admit that I didn't refer to my father as "dad" or "Lee" on days like that one...:biggrin:

Last edited:

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
At Central Steamer, we put Bryce (at a young age) into a Customer Service position handling difficult customers ..............he has a unique way of getting his point across by inflicting pain on their children with a few short snappy wand stroke-type moves I taught him in the business.

The Peterson move displayed here quickly shows our customer that we really know how to handle any problem they throw at us..... (Again, no one was seriously hurt or injured in the making of this photo)

Signed, The Gambino Carpet Cleaning Team (where we clean up messes no one else will!)

Bryceman2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

hogjowl

Idiot™
He's into horses and rodeo.
He's a huge help around the place with the large garden plot we have and helps me plant and prepare, but I can't seem to find him when it comes time to pick and shell.

Pigs aren't cool. Horses are.

Reactions: Shane Deubell

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We're still looking for a pasture mate for Rusty. We have a pony on loan but the grass is turning green and that fool pony will eat himself till he founders.

Dumbass animal...he hates me. Ok I hate him! He kicks Rusty and bullies him. :angry:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Caring and sharing.....life............

I tell my son all the time that I love him, my own father wouldn't say it until I discussed it with him.
He said he loved me..............we hugged..........we cried.................then he died.

And when I have these touching moments like today with my son I said, "Son I love you and like I did when you were younger..someday you will be wiping my ASS too" We both cried.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
My father was an old german. Never expressed things as simple as a father saying he loved his son. It was no wonder his son went out and raised hell..............looking for love in the arms of strippers.............they said they loved me with every dollar I spent.
But everything changed..............when............mom died. Dad couldn't handle that she was gone..............he realized that HE wasn't the rock of the family.......she was.
And suddenly..........everything changed...........I became his............father.
We would walk and talk............we hugged............we said we loved each other.
He died 5 years after my mother. I still remember carrying him into the emergency room........he died right in front of me.
It wasn't long after that I started killing small animals............then people were asking where their dog or cat was, like I knew what happened to them. I kept all of their skulls............. People didn't like that I would cut my grass in my underwear. Didn't like how I would scream out from time to time, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gong to take it anymore!" Many more things.............police were called..............asked to leave stores. Making a dead pool list of assholes on the internet. Have to say each and everyone of you has a number on that list.

But Marty I'm glad you're proud of your son!

Reactions: Mikey P

hogjowl

Idiot™
Taco
My father was an old german. Never expressed things as simple as a father saying he loved his son. It was no wonder his son went out and raised hell..............looking for love in the arms of strippers.............they said they loved me with every dollar I spent.
But everything changed..............when............mom died. Dad couldn't handle that she was gone..............he realized that HE wasn't the rock of the family.......she was.
And suddenly..........everything changed...........I became his............father.
We would walk and talk............we hugged............we said we loved each other.
He died 5 years after my mother. I still remember carrying him into the emergency room........he died right in front of me.
It wasn't long after that I started killing small animals............then people were asking where their dog or cat was, like I knew what happened to them. I kept all of their skulls............. People didn't like that I would cut my grass in my underwear. Didn't like how I would scream out from time to time, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gong to take it anymore!" Many more things.............police were called..............asked to leave stores. Making a dead pool list of assholes on the internet. Have to say each and everyone of you has a number on that list.

But Marty I'm glad you're proud of your son!
I feel warm and fuzzy all over.

Back
Top Bottom