Videos and Instructional Material

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
Anyone have suggestions on training material? Youtube channel? No classes in my area for a while.

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
General carpet cleaning information. I've seen a few videos on step by step procedures. Looking for something that goes into detail. Something for a person that has never cleaned carpet professional. Books are good also. The next carpet class near me isnt for a while.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
General carpet cleaning information. I've seen a few videos on step by step procedures. Looking for something that goes into detail. Something for a person that has never cleaned carpet professional. Books are good also. The next carpet class near me isnt for a while.

Its just as well you don't try to attend a class right away. You need some hands on training in the field. The classes can be helpful, but imagine trying to learn to do gardening and landscaping...plumbing...electrical work...in a classroom watching a power point and a few demonstrations in a class full of people who have done those things for years.

That is what carpet cleaning class is often like for someone with limited or no experience. I say that as a trainer in this industry, and with the profoundest respect for the trainers who work hard to help their students. Its just not a good venue for a new cleaner.

Talk to the people at Sunbelt and see if they know some good cleaners who might be willing to mentor you and let you ride along and do some jobs with them. The might know someone who is outside of the area in which you will be running your business so that they won't feel that they are training a competitor.

There are many veteran carpet cleaners who are good hearted and want to help. In that way you'll not only learn how to clean carpet, but you will also get some great ideas on how to talk to the customer, how to set things up, how to schedule, price, etc.

A good mentor will be worth 100x anything you can get through a classroom experience.

Mikey P

Administrator
A good mentor will be worth 100x anything you can get through a classroom experience.

so true.

Find someone here who will let you tag along for a few days. Even if you have to fly out.

Where would you like to see your business in five years? If I knew that I could point you in the right direction.

and please post a picture of yourself, preferably with your family so we can see if your have what it takes.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Dj,

I'd suggest going over to Sunbelt and talking to the guys there. They will give you some insiders, sometimes you may run into competitors, and you can find someone to team up with, tell them you're starting a cleaning business and ask if they do in plant rug cleaning (and whatever other service you may not be offering now). This way you can become friendly w/ them and both of you can learn more about each's businesses, and you'll have more guidance aka mentor.

I have a few competitor friends in the area I've met over the years, and we always send each other jobs, talk, and stop by to see how's business.

Another thing you can do, is find someone not in your market a hour plus out that you can give them free labor for an exchange of putting you to work (that's honestly the best way to learn instead of a 3 day book class).

Have a good one,

Bill

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
There you go, just noticed the guys said the same.

That's the best way to go about it, not books and classes.

Go hands on.

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
Its just as well you don't try to attend a class right away. You need some hands on training in the field. The classes can be helpful, but imagine trying to learn to do gardening and landscaping...plumbing...electrical work...in a classroom watching a power point and a few demonstrations in a class full of people who have done those things for years.

That is what carpet cleaning class is often like for someone with limited or no experience. I say that as a trainer in this industry, and with the profoundest respect for the trainers who work hard to help their students. Its just not a good venue for a new cleaner.

Talk to the people at Sunbelt and see if they know some good cleaners who might be willing to mentor you and let you ride along and do some jobs with them. The might know someone who is outside of the area in which you will be running your business so that they won't feel that they are training a competitor.

There are many veteran carpet cleaners who are good hearted and want to help. In that way you'll not only learn how to clean carpet, but you will also get some great ideas on how to talk to the customer, how to set things up, how to schedule, price, etc.

Thanks for the honest advise. I have a friend in Charlotte NC that has been encouraging me to get started. I plan on going out with him and helping/learning with him. It should be fun playing with his Amtex Dragon.

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
Dj,

I'd suggest going over to Sunbelt and talking to the guys there. They will give you some insiders, sometimes you may run into competitors, and you can find someone to team up with, tell them you're starting a cleaning business and ask if they do in plant rug cleaning (and whatever other service you may not be offering now). This way you can become friendly w/ them and both of you can learn more about each's businesses, and you'll have more guidance aka mentor.

I have a few competitor friends in the area I've met over the years, and we always send each other jobs, talk, and stop by to see how's business.

Another thing you can do, is find someone not in your market a hour plus out that you can give them free labor for an exchange of putting you to work (that's honestly the best way to learn instead of a 3 day book class).

Have a good one,

Bill
Thanks! I have a friend that has been cleaning for about 5 years that can help and is about 3 hours away. I think i'll take 3 or 4 days and train with him.

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
so true.

Find someone here who will let you tag along for a few days. Even if you have to fly out.

Where would you like to see your business in five years? If I knew that I could point you in the right direction.

and please post a picture of yourself, preferably with your family so we can see if your have what it takes.
What's a picture of me and my family going to help?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks! I have a friend that has been cleaning for about 5 years that can help and is about 3 hours away. I think i'll take 3 or 4 days and train with him.

I'm glad you decided to do this. Those days will do you a world of good. Also, ask any question you want here. You'll be sure to get answers, and this gang has such a broad range of background and experience that you'll benefit greatly if you'll reach out here. Also do a search on any subject in the archives here. You will find a wealth of knowledge.

After you get your "ride along" training and get some work under your belt, you'll be prepared to take a class to learn the "anatomy, science, and physics" of your work.
Have fun, and reach out to me any time I can help you at all.

Reactions: tmdry

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
I'm glad you decided to do this. Those days will do you a world of good. Also, ask any question you want here. You'll be sure to get answers, and this gang has such a broad range of background and experience that you'll benefit greatly if you'll reach out here. Also do a search on any subject in the archives here. You will find a wealth of knowledge.

After you get your "ride along" training and get some work under your belt, you'll be prepared to take a class to learn the "anatomy, science, and physics" of your work.
Have fun, and reach out to me any time I can help you at all.
Thanks!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Well the only teeth im missing are my wisdom teeth. I should be ok.

Don't let Mr Adonis get to you. He lives in the land of beautiful people. Raleigh will be a bit more forgiving if you look more like Danny Devito than Tom Cruise.

I remember visiting Santa Barbara when I wore a full beard and was dressed....well let's say more than a little casually.

The homeless people looked better than I did....

:biggrin:

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
Its always good to have good friends that put up with your crap. Or friends that look at it as saving labor. I'll take it.

Reactions: hogjowl

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Reactions: Desk Jockey

hogjowl

Idiot™
Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom