Wand vs. Rotary Extractor vs. Zipper vs. Your Back

Name
Damon
As mentioned in another thread, I am considering/wanting make the leap to a TM. However, one issue I have is that almost a year ago I was in an accident. As a result my back has not been the same since. It's gotten better overall, but when I do physical work I can feel it.

I tried out the Zipper at the Experience. It's a phenomenal tool and I'm hoping it might be a potential alternative to wanding. I don't know if it will be. After a couple of minutes I could begin to feel it.

Are any of you veterans dealing with similar a similar situation? is there a tool that you would recommend?

Thanks!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
On another board there's a floater some users there complained about using it all day 8 hours straight. That they could feel it.

I would argue anytime you hump 8 straight hours your gonna be tired even if it's a machine you sit in and ride.

The zipper is mostly leg related but some of the newer rotaries are also back friendly to. A 39 lb 360i is a great little tool that can extended your cleaning career just ask Art Kelly!

Last edited:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
No matter which route you take you're back will feel it, more or less.

The best bet would be to hire part to full timer on commission and let him do the more labor intensive part and you do the rest that does not hurt your back as much.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
On another board there's a floater some users there complained about using it all day 8 hours straight. That they could feel it.

I would argue anytime you hump 8 straight hours your gonna be tired even if it's a machine you sit in and ride.

The zipper is mostly leg related but some of the newer rotaries are also back friendly to. A 39 lb 360i is a great little tool that can extended your cleaning career just ask Art Kelly!

I have got to the point that I use the Rotovac 360i Quad on virtually every carpet even if I could get by without it, because it is easier than a wand. It also cleans exceptionally well. I feel it will extend my cleaning career even more than I felt that way about the glide. Of course I am entering my 45th year am turning 65 in a couple weeks.

Name
Marcus
I had a pinched nerve in my neck for about 2years...went to a chiropractora d still little progress...
So I got the zipper last spring and my pinch nerve cleared up in a few weeks...
Rx20 will not help as you have to go back and rake in homes ....which is hard on your back
The zipper is a workout on you legs arms and back evenly wo putting stress on shoulder and elbow joints.......
It worked for me as I don,t use my wand but on rare situations....
Cap

Reactions: thecleaningdude

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
When I tried all the rotary tools at the Experience,

a couple stood out as smoother than the rest . . .

Those two, were the Hoss with included "glides"

and the RV-360 XL with the Quad Head @ 68# . . .

It was easily operated by a young girl during the demo.

If handling weight is an issue, then the CX-15 @ 20# might be an answer.

The CX-15 is half the weight of a 12" RV360i . . .
and it cleans 15" .

Larry

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm an old fart, but I can wand or RE all day. Used to think RE was easier on my back and energy level, but now I don't think it makes much difference. It's all work.

same here, if anything, using an RE take more energy out of me.

My guys feel the same way.

maybe because it's be cause we do so many dry strokes

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I just used my new 360i and compared to a rx20 and drymaster its a dream it cleans great and is way easier to use, its great at pile lifting and really digs, I did like the feel of the hoss and the 360xl, I liked the 360xl smoothness the best. It floats. I will probably give my son the 360i and get a xl for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
If you are using a portable, you are killing yourself in my opinion.

I would really want to see you pushing a wand around before I blame the equipment. It is so easy to get yourself over extended using a wand.Short strokes are a PITA but are easier on your body. If I use a wand I try to use only hand, keeps me from hunching over on a dry stroke, and learn to use your other hand to balance muscle use.

I find the zipper wand wears my out faster than a wand in a house but not on commercial

Name
Damon
Thanks!

I had a pinched nerve in my neck for about 2years...went to a chiropractora d still little progress...
So I got the zipper last spring and my pinch nerve cleared up in a few weeks...
Rx20 will not help as you have to go back and rake in homes ....which is hard on your back
The zipper is a workout on you legs arms and back evenly wo putting stress on shoulder and elbow joints.......
It worked for me as I don,t use my wand but on rare situations....
Cap

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Listen guys, the problem is not with your backs. The problem is this: the dumbass idea from our industry manufacturers, that they think we all wear the same size backs and same length of our legs.

Have you bought shoes for YOURSELF? How many different sizes are there? Last time I checked a lot of people can't be comfortable in size 9 or size 14.

In my opinion the wand or rotary extractor manufacturer that realizes first, that they need to sell truly adjustable length tools will be winner!

We had a tile spinner from Mytee maybe 10 years ago that was adjustable but definitely not long enough.

We need the solution line with tiny quickconnects on top and bottom to be able to quickly change the length and we need the vac tube of the tools to adjust at least a foot or two feet in length.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Listen guys, the problem is not with your backs. The problem is this: the dumbass idea from our industry manufacturers, that they think we all wear the same size backs and same length of our legs.

Have you bought shoes for YOURSELF? How many different sizes are there? Last time I checked a lot of people can't be comfortable in size 9 or size 14.

In my opinion the wand or rotary extractor manufacturer that realizes first, that they need to sell truly adjustable length tools will be winner!

We had a tile spinner from Mytee maybe 10 years ago that was adjustable but definitely not long enough.

We need the solution line with tiny quickconnects on top and bottom to be able to quickly change the length and we need the vac tube of the tools to adjust at least a foot or two feet in length.

I also see guys using wands with the handle half way up the wand and they're bent over scrubbing with the wand.

I pull my handle as high as I can turn it to my left a little and stand straight up. But a custom wand is a great idea.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
You adjust your carseat and steering wheel as much as possible otherwise your knees, elbows, back/neck can hurt after an eight hour drive pretty badly..

Most of you on the wand or RE do about 5-8 hours a day with bad posture because there is no way to adjust it.

Doesn't matter how tall you are. What matters: how long your legs in relation to your torso. How long is your arm in relation to your torso.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I also see guys using wands with the handle half way up the wand and they're bent over scrubbing with the wand.

I pull my handle as high as I can turn it to my left a little and stand straight up. But a custom wand is a great idea.

same here

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
After back surgery I went back to work with the 2 head rotovac. It runs so easy but is slow. Won't hurt your back. It's the zipper now and it's fast and better than a wand. The wand kills my back now, but the zipper doesn't bother it at all. The best thing for your body is a helper.

Gene

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I've been getting custom made wands for about twenty years.

Being shorter than most, the wands were always too long and I always suffered with back problems.

I started out getting the wand shortened, and both "S" bends re-bent to a sharper angle that allowed me to clean standing nearly upright.

One wand I got from Gary Bethel had also been custom made for him & also suited me.

Now, doing mostly commercial work & high rise, I rarely use a wand, relying on my VLM/encap for comm; & 360i in the high rise resi; or Sprayborg.

With regard to those that find using rotary extractors is nearly as hard as wanding, I agree.

When I first started in this game 40+ years ago, I was using 175rpm machines daily & continually had back problems which I put down to the motions needed to control the machine.

Even when using the CMX20, my body would ache for hours.

Since going to more "in-line" machines, the problems have all but gone.

I also think that getting older and using ramps to load/unload have lessened the weight. :winky:

:yoda:

CCWorks

Name
Greg
When I use the Rotovac 360i, 3 vac pickup system, my right arm seems to be really sore at the end of the day, every day.
I run the RV at speeds 4 and 5 on the speed control setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

SamIam

Name
sam miller
When I use the Rotovac 360i, 3 vac pickup system, my right arm seems to be really sore at the end of the day, every day.
I run the RV at speeds 4 and 5 on the speed control setting.

Cliff from rotovac says run it on 10 unless it gets skippy then slow it down.

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
I hopefully will be trying out the 15inch head I got off of MB auction tomorrow on my 360i for the first time. I know some have had problems with the bigger head on the smaller 360 motor, but hopefully my wimpy 33 blower will not strain it too much.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Just haven't felt the torque that an rx20 put on me from the 360i, the Xl seemed to float real easy. I definitely want one of those to. The drymaster sucks biggest waste of 3k ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Desk Jockey

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Well I agree with you. But the industry has already seen a wheels down rotary but as yet that technology has been released for a neiche product. When and if required it could be exported to more general,use RJE products.

Grant

CCWorks

Name
Greg
Cliff from rotovac says run it on 10 unless it gets skippy then slow it down.

I use the RV at a slower speed thinking it cleans better.

I was told to use the RV at speed 10 but it seems it goes to fast to clean as good as it does on a lower speed.

I use a high powered duel vac mytee.

Reactions: SamIam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom