What kind of hose is this & where can I get it?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Yesterday had no heat...

Figure it's the diverter valve stuck again, I've had it get stuck and make too much heat, never less. Machine wouldn't get over 120!:hopeless:

If I disconnect my vac hose I could move the diverter with a screw driver, as soon as I put the hose back on it would go back...

I believe I found the issue when I pulled on these little vac hoses and one came right off. The diverter is moved with vacuum pressure, apparently.

So, I need to find some of this hose and more importantly the little plastic piece that holds the hose in the nut. It slides on the hose and gives the nut something to grab.

The one on the end/black was broke/brittle.

20150630_172231.jpeg

Thanks.....

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
You can get a similar line from lowes. I did replace mine years ago and I believe I used a line for refrigerators.
They also have similar fittings.
Gene

Reactions: Erik and Mikey P
Name
Lee Stockwell
In applications using copper tubing use the copper ferrels (the little ring that slides over the tube)
In applications using plastic tubing, use the plastic ferrels, or it will leak.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
In applications using copper tubing use the copper ferrels (the little ring that slides over the tube)
In applications using plastic tubing, use the plastic ferrels, or it will leak.

I don't disagree with you often Lee, but I use the brass on the plastic without any sign of leaking. In this application I would use what I had. I only use it on the vacuum so it could be leaking. I've never pushed a liquid through one.

Gene

Name
Lee Stockwell
I don't disagree with you often Lee, but I use the brass on the plastic without any sign of leaking. In this application I would use what I had. I only use it on the vacuum so it could be leaking. I've never pushed a liquid through one.

Gene
If you have an icemaker in your home it is likely now plastic line.

Early on it was more often copper. In the transition years leakage was more common due to difficulty getting a leak free long-term connection.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I use brass ferrules with poly tubing at my day job. The main issue is over-tightening the connection and deforming the poly. Slipping a brass insert into the tubing ID pretty much eliminates the problem. Available at most hardware/plumbing supply places:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1ZNj_FrQnneRUDLDyMQTOQW1Wqfp5Iqnz66mQh_GdQO_qWY-n2g.jpg

cleartubing-sleeve-insert-labeled.jpg

The plastic ferrules also work fine on the poly tubing.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
BTW, while ice maker tubing (polyethylene) will work fine for this application, just be aware that poly is really only rated for 160°-ish. It will turn brittle and crack just like the old one did, and you will have to replace it from time to time.

LLDPE tubing (you can get it at Amazon and many other places) will hold up a little better. Nylon (harder to find and 3X the price) can be rated up to 260° and will last longer, as long as you don't need to bend an extremely tight radius - it's not as flexible.

Parker Stores list the Nylon in several fetching colors....

http://ph.parker.com/us/en/flexible-nylon-tubing-n-nb-series

Last edited:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Lee I replaced my line when I did the kitchen. It's the kit with the fitting already on it. It's not the hard plastic but a flexible type of braided hose. It's been there since 95. Don't know what it's life expectancy is.
Someone will post it.

Gene

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I would change out the plastic for normal automotive rubber vacuum line. Just remove the compression fitting from both ends and put a barbed fitting on it. Push vacuum line on it and forget it. Rubber automotive vacuum line is rated for higher temps and will be much more durable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom