Who's Running The SS Hoss and How Do You Like It?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Just curious about the Hoss. I tried it out in Vegas, but I also tried the other tools there. Who likes what?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I am using the Rotovac 360 XL's right now...

Love how versatile they are....

Large head, can change the head for drive blocks, other heads....even have a new head with glides coming to try out this next week...

But also love how the handle bars can collapse down and it will take up less space in our vans...

the motor is the same motor as the RX 20 and the gear box is similar as well....but weighs about 25 pounds less than an RX 20

Reactions: Total_Rookie

Mikey P

Administrator
The square glided HOSS and the RVxl arecdamn near equals in cleaning performance.

The HOSS though will do it with 1/3rd less water so recovery time is that much faster.

The RV on the other hand is cheaper, colapsable, chraper and has other heads..

RE'ing is already slow as molasses so you have to decide where the value is.

No experienced based opinions on the other options.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mike Draper

Been running the Hoss for 2-3 years now and really enjoy it. I think it cleans better and faster the the 360i, I've never tried the XL. Dry times are great. Over the years I have cleaned so many rat nasty crap hole apartments with it. It does a superb job. Its built somewhat weak though, only 1 part has broken and that was the axle, it was very recent.
IMO, there is a weakness flaw in the handle bars. Right where you loosen the nob in order to tilt the handle bars back, over time the steel plate there tends to stretch, thus not allowing the handle bars to settle back in place and be solid for transport or pushing. I called and asked for a price for just the bare steel handle bars with no parts on them. I belive it was over $350-400ish.:eekk:. I could go copy the design and pay a fabricator to make them out of stronger stainless steel and still be less than that. For this sole reason is why I will never, ever buy a fabrication cookie cutter truck mount. Ridiculous and way overpriced parts because they can. I took the handle bars off and smashed the steel flat to get by. When it stretches out again I might make something stronger.
image.jpeg

This part is made out of alumium, I've had to take it off multiple times and smash it flat again as it tend to bend. I'm not rough on my equioment, I actully take very good care of it. This is not from abuse.
image.jpeg

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I currently have the hoss and I'm very disappointed in it. It doesn't clean as well as my rotovac powerhead. I was thinking about selling it and buying something else. I have the largest disc installed, so water flow isn't the problem. I could try it with out a disc but it would be to wet. I cleaned out the bars yesterday and I'm going to give it another round. Maybe they were clogged. Wednesday we cleaned the same job I've been doing for over 20 years. . I rotary clean this job 3 times a year and I tested the mytee trex on it awhile back. It did a beautiful job and left it nice and dry. I hated the graphite and safety switch. I would wire around the safety switch and when the handle breaks replace it with stainless. The hoss seems very well built but that's of little consequence if it won't clean. Maybe the screen is clogged. I didn't check that.

Gene

Name
Nate W.
I currently have the hoss and I'm very disappointed in it. It doesn't clean as well as my rotovac powerhead. I was thinking about selling it and buying something else. I have the largest disc installed, so water flow isn't the problem. I could try it with out a disc but it would be to wet. I cleaned out the bars yesterday and I'm going to give it another round. Maybe they were clogged. Wednesday we cleaned the same job I've been doing for over 20 years. . I rotary clean this job 3 times a year and I tested the mytee trex on it awhile back. It did a beautiful job and left it nice and dry. I hated the graphite and safety switch. I would wire around the safety switch and when the handle breaks replace it with stainless. The hoss seems very well built but that's of little consequence if it won't clean. Maybe the screen is clogged. I didn't check that.

Gene

Well I guess a "thanks" is in order...... :stir:

And when you mean rotovac powerhead, you are referring to the Original rotovac powerhead?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Damian loves the T-Rex junior.
I'm a little reluctant, as Mytee though they listen to us cleaners (bought plenty of their equipment), tend at times to make little silly decisions to save a penny, that cheapens the whole machine.

Anybody here have the T-Rex junior?
How is it?

What we should all have is a rotary vacuum extractor done by Zipper Eric (not the one with spinning jets). Now, that will be a well made machine.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
This part is made out of alumium, I've had to take it off multiple times and smash it flat again as it tend to bend.
That piece looks pretty easy to reinforce - maybe welding on pieces on each side such that the cross-section looks like a +

Of course you shouldn't have to....

Name
Steve Lawrence
Been happy with my 3 RX-20's for 25 years. They just keep on performing with no tweaks required. Built for a lifetime. Yes they are heavy and do require some maintenance, but still rock solid. After everything I've heard from owners of all the other rotaries, the only one I'd consider trying is the 360 XL for its lightness.

Reactions: Wing It

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
the only one I'd consider trying is the 360 XL for its lightness.
You'd love it Steve, I steered away for years because they just felt too light.

I do believe they have the XL dialed in and I've been very pleased with how nice a unit it is and how great a job it does cleaning. Unlike the RX-20 where I feel it smashes the pile down, the XL seems to really lift and fluff it up.

Great unit! :cool:

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I called and asked for a price for just the bare steel handle bars with no parts on them. I belive it was over $350-400ish.:eekk:. I could go copy the design and pay a fabricator to make them out of stronger stainless steel and still be less than that. For this sole reason is why I will never, ever buy a fabrication cookie cutter truck mount.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you sir are bitching about the price of a part but your TM cost 50x the cost of cookie cutter.
:stir:

Don't shoot me...pleazzz! :winky:

Mike Draper

My machine cost less than an apex. I don't mind paying for quality, but there is a line that gets crossed with some of these manufacturers.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
oooh struck a nerve! I was just kidding!

Man has NO sense of humor when it comes to his machine. :lol:

P.S.
Its all good! You should have never told me the real cost. :biggrin:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
We have a 360i and love it, at 40 pounds it actually comes off the truck quite frequently.

Thing weighs less than my vacuum...

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
How much? I mean a broken machine should go pretty cheap right? Gene?
Gene, hello? :winky:

I'll let you know after I try it out again. I didn't need it today and I haven't checked the inline filter. Maybe it has blockage. No way my zipper should out clean it. Cody changed out the shoes, maybe he put them on backwards. . I never even looked at that. I don't know that it's possible but he could do it.

Gene

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I love my Hoss. It is the silver bullet. It's just a slow bullet. I run the rounded glides. No worries of breaking tile or leaving lines. I put 2 in line filters on it, One before the valve and one after. I brush the jets after every cleaning to keep them clear. It is just like any other tool that takes a little getting used to and figuring out what works best for you. I also run with no disk. I picked the Hoss because it looks like it is built to last and the spray bars clean deep into the carpet. That's my 2 cents

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I love my Hoss. It is the silver bullet. It's just a slow bullet. I run the rounded glides. No worries of breaking tile or leaving lines. I put 2 in line filters on it, One before the valve and one after. I brush the jets after every cleaning to keep them clear. It is just like any other tool that takes a little getting used to and figuring out what works best for you. I also run with no disk. I picked the Hoss because it looks like it is built to last and the spray bars clean deep into the carpet. That's my 2 cents

I tried it without the disc and it was like a garden hose. With the jets right in the carpet it blew through my test rug. I can't remember the psi, it was probably 300. My power head above 300 blows through carpets and it sprays 90 deg. to the carpet. I haven't given up yet.

Gene

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
You do have to be careful not to soak the area. I want to put a needle valve on it next so I can have control to turn it up in bad areas. With the disk in I leave the carpet steaming.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
After a full year with the Hoss I couldnt take it any more, its SO FKING SLLLLLOOOOWWWWW.

No flow disk, and a parker flow valve, went with all long spray bars, were the "Mods" i did to it.

RX-360XL was WAY faster for me, but it left the carpet soaking wet, and was a joke on commercial.

RX-20 with holed greenglides is a pinch slower than the 360XL, but leaves the carpet much drier.

Reactions: Able 1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom