Winter Months

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
How cold does it have to get outside before in need to worry about have lines freeze if I park my van in the garage?

Chris A

Name
Chris
yup, when i was younger, and dumber, i used to leave my old truck outside when the lows were in the high 20s. Never bit me but I don'd do that anymore!

Name
Steve Lawrence
Equipment freeze-ups can be very costly. Get some heat in there somehow. There are many old threads to look at for more info.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Buy a electric radiator to keep in the van. May never need it in NC with a garage but the peace of mind is worth the $40.00. Tools freeze too so take care of them.

Becker

Name
Becker
In a garage even uninsulated I never worried till outside temps got into the mid to low 20s. Attached to the house even lower.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
How cold does it have to get outside before in need to worry about have lines freeze if I park my van in the garage?

attached garage or stand alone?

if attached and door seal is good, pretty low, cause even if garage isn't heated, still gets heat from house.

attached garage with good door seal??
I prob'ly wouldn't be too worried in NC
Thermometers are cheap though...and ceramic heaters have thermostats you can set

if it got below 20 for any length of time (like days with the truck not being out working during the day) I'd play it safe and put the heater in the van

..L.T.A.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I worry at about 15 degrees when my van is in the garage. Like Larry said, it gets a bit of heat from the house. At 15 I put a ceramic heater in the van along with a fat. The fan ensures that the heat is evenly distributed throughout.

steve_64

its not just about current temps but how long they stay at that degree.

i dont worry about the first day dipping into mid 20's but after that first day i start keeping a heater running in the van.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
My garage is attached. I have the water heater and furnace in there also. Even when it gets to single digits outside it stays above 40 in the garage. I have a thermometer on the wall and I will wake up at night and go out there and check on it.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
My garage is attached. I have the water heater and furnace in there also. Even when it gets to single digits outside it stays above 40 in the garage. I have a thermometer on the wall and I will wake up at night and go out there and check on it.

A bought a remote thermostat with 2 sensors and a freeze alert alarm at Radio Shack many years ago.
I don't know if they still carry them or not.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
When my truck was at the house I use to keep a small plastic cup with a little water in the bottom. Any ice crystals by windshield I would add Heat was the plan.
Then just plugged it in with a temp. sensitive extension I found at Home Depot. Slept much better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom