1 warning about HomeAdvisor.com (a.k.a. Service Magic)

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
if you use them now or are thinking about it, be aware that they can easily mess up your SEO work on your website. here is how...

they begin going to online business directories and placing you business name & address at these sites. that's a good thing right? well normally it would be, BUT, they leave not YOUR phone number but an 800 number that takes the client back to Home Advisor. this will mess up your SEO work. Google doesn't want to see 2 phone numbers associated with your business name. Google start ranking you lower and lower.

i am now in the process of having Home Advisor "fix" this. they said they had to remove me from their "Exact Match" program, i said fine. they then said it could take up to 4 weeks for those business directory listings they made, to be removed.

i have a feeling in 4 weeks i am going to be on the phone trying to get various listings removed :-/ but we'll see.

hope this helps!

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Yea umm awhile back I researched them after a phone call and uh, good luck!

Becker

Name
Becker
Took me multiple requests ( almost like waffles )
Google search the 800 number they assign you.
I think I finally got it cleaned up.

They have called since asking for me to come back. Offering deals. Stating they have a new program.
I tell them of the phone mess. And how after the fact they were still using my name but the calls were going to sm.

Same reason among others I tell yodel I'm not interested.

Good advise!!!!

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
yes & yes.

besides this SEO nightmare (which i am sure years ago when SEO was in it's infancy, Servicemagic never thought they would actually be hurting our businesses) i have made a decent amount from them. BUT on the forums i mostly hear bad things about them, so based on that i can't recommend them...law of averages and all...

Josh

Supportive Member
Name
Josh
if you use them now or are thinking about it, be aware that they can easily mess up your SEO work on your website. here is how...
they begin going to online business directories and placing you business name & address at these sites. that's a good thing right? well normally it would be, BUT, they leave not YOUR phone number but an 800 number that takes the client back to Home Advisor. this will mess up your SEO work. Google doesn't want to see 2 phone numbers associated with your business name. Google start ranking you lower and lower.
i am now in the process of having Home Advisor "fix" this. they said they had to remove me from their "Exact Match" program, i said fine. they then said it could take up to 4 weeks for those business directory listings they made, to be removed.
i have a feeling in 4 weeks i am going to be on the phone trying to get various listings removed :-/ but we'll see.
hope this helps!

Bump

They've been calling me.
I'm wondering how everybody's experience with them is now.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Bump

They've been calling me.
I'm wondering how everybody's experience with them is now.

If you are a new business and desperate for low price work, they do fill you up with leads, and you pay for each one, even if you do not get the job.

About 6 years ago I felt a need to expand and signed on, ooops... IMHO - stay away

I always thought Service Magic / Home Advisor was the evil step mother of Angie's List, now Angie is slipping to the dark side as well.

Reactions: Josh

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i still use them, just not Exact Match (for reason my post at top explains.)

another trick i learned: i also sign up for Commercial Carpet Cleaning with them. you can put as little as 1 zip code in your coverage area...make it a zip in the country where no commercial office carpet or CGD exists. that way in the slower months i have them turn off my Residential Carpet Cleaning but don't have to go through the hassle of closing my account. then i have them turn the
Resi CC'ing back on when / if i want to. for me i am not into resi work in the freezing cold months. idk if that helps anyone but...

Back
Top Bottom