2.5 them woolies.

Mikey P

Administrator
Try this you 2.5ers.

On the next cleanable* wool area rug you clean on location vacuum it front and back real well, start with the back. Show the home owner what you just vibrated out. A Sanitaire will excel at this due to it's true Beater Bar. Then sweep up the floor then go over the front 4 ways to Sunday. Show her what's in the DirtCup at this point.

At this point lay the rug over some painters plastic.
Pre spray the heck out of it (front only) and the fringes. Scrub it with a white pad on your 175, give it a few minutes of dwell then take your Greenhorn or Ti high flow wonder wand at full heat with ONLY your 2.5 hose (no whip) and rinse and dry stroke real well. With a Hole Glide you can rinse the fringes with no fear of distortion. Let them stick to the Glide and let some air flow through them for a while.

( you can pray and clean the back too if you can leave them with a airmover and a way to hold down the rug.)

Bend over and feel that baby now.

Tell Mrs Pift to bend over and feel too.

$2.00 a foot no problem

if not more...

*-no bleeders or shrinkers

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I thought 2 bucks a foot was a starting out point?

I started charging 4 bucks a foot on a lot of rugs I take in. I usually do 2 days of testing, a good cleaning, dry it, check it over and maybe clean it again if necessary.

Mikey P

Administrator
F em.

I have to world's greatest Rug Snob ( The Talisman in Santa Cruz, Ca) referring me to his houghty toughty clients to just the above method on rugs that aint worth his 5.25 minimum per ft.

Good enough for him it's good enough for me.

Many of my clients have said the rugs come out looking better than when they've sent em out.

Heat!!!!

Greenie

Actually that doesn't surprise me, seen plenty of "imersion" cleaned and hang dried rugs that look dingy, and are technically still dirty, also seen those same snobs shampoo them with a rotary on a concrete slab, extract with porty and charge $4.50.

I'll take the mighty V and 2.5 scenario....at least there was dusting and real extraction.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
you gonna pull it with 2.5, how do you hold it in place if you are by yourself

some of those rug snobs are actually pretty good people, after watching how they clean the rugs I understand why they charge the price they do

Mikey P

Administrator
I have no beef what so ever with the Rug Snobs.

I love those guys.

But to think every Costco and Ikea special needs full immersion is pure crap.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I don't disagree with you Mike, Randy Hyde treats me very well so I try to do the same

I remember the massage lady who wanted her 10X20 home depo olefin rug cleaned that had body oil circle stains on it

she about crapped when I told her $50, she only paid $40 for it so we just traded services. I really did a number on that rug just to make it even with her

Mikey P

Administrator
Heck even if the back of the rug is dirty, clean the dang back too. Hang it over a fence or rail with some painters plastic underneath and lever the owner a Turbo fan over night. Place the fan under the hanging rug, pointing up.

Most home owners would be thrilled to bring it back to your shop.

Trust me.

Easy money and way happy customers.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
I have been doing just that and the customers are always thrilled. I explain what I do and what they do if they send them out but 100% of the time, they just don't want to spend $4.50 per sq/ft and pay pick up and drop off charges on top of that. Not mention having their house turned upside down for a week or two.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Mikey P said:
F em.

I have to world's greatest Rug Snob ( The Talisman in Santa Cruz, Ca) referring me to his houghty toughty clients to just the above method on rugs that aint worth his 5.25 minimum per ft.

Good enough for him it's good enough for me.

Many of my clients have said the rugs come out looking better than when they've sent em out.

Heat!!!!

A much respected Old-Schooler I know has told me that the wool fiber will not stand regular HWE cleanings over a long period of time. He said many companies (Including the one I was working under him at) HWE wool rugs and got good results, but they were slowly degrading and breaking down the fiber and the rugs were prematurely wearing out because of it. It was something a company could get away with, and even when the rug finally fell apart nobody would be the wiser, but he protested against the HWE cleaning of the wool rugs we got in.

Keep in mind we would occasionally get in a ten to twenty thousand dollar rug from the clientele we served.

PS: I am not challenging you Mikey, I am just trying to learn. So far this old schooler has been one of the greatest sources of information for me, and I attribute most of my cleaning ability to his instruction, and the instruction his son has given me over the years.

Mikey P

Administrator
Could be true, I wont dispute it even though I dont believe it.
But the rugs I'm cleaning will be lining the garage floor way before the fiber even remotely starts to "break down".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom