2 person crews

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
If you are running a two person crew was is your average target production rate for the crew?

I have been a solo operator for 13 years. Recently my wife was laid off and we decided to have work on the van with me so I could see if a two man crew was worth it, before I hired someone.

She has been working worth me for about a week and Friday and Sat were pretty busy.

On friday we did three jobs. The first job was a two room vacant house, really small. Charged $80 and it took 45 minutes. I may have to raise my minimum

Job 2 was vacant house carpet and tile. Ticket was $327 and took about 2.5 hours

Job 3 was carpet and tile took 4 hours and the ticket was $425. I underbid this one.

I also routed this day pretty bad and had a lot more window time then I normally would

7 hours of work for 832 or $118 an hour. This seems low for two people.

Saturday we did three jobs

The first job was carpet, tile with some urine issues. Took us 3.5 hours and billed $480.00.

Job two was carpet only billed $240 and took 1.5 hours

Job three was $263 and took 1 3/4 hour. Carpet only

6 3/4 hours of work at $145 an hour.

I was thinking I should be closer to 150 - 175 an hour. We will get faster as we learn the new systems.

Reactions: Art Kelley

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
No single wand. Had my wife vacuum as I set up the hoses. She presprayed and agitated, I extracted and did stain removal, she post groomed and set up airmovers.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I agree with what Lee Said..

Some of your female customers will feel more comfortable with a Male N female team.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
The more you do this and the more with a 2nd person, the better you will get at reading each other so the progression goes smoother.

I am going to send you a link to my PowerPoint presentation I did in Florida at the connections this past month.

We have run 2 person crews and it does help a lot to keep you more fresh, and you will be able to do more work in a day (week)

We actually run 2 VANs on a lot of job sites.

We used to have 3 people on a lot of jobs, but one of our guys moved on and we haven't replaced them yet.

I have also had my daughters work for me and they have been able to do everything a guy could basically do, but as Lee mentioned, they people loved having them in their homes, especially the ladies.

Here is a link to my public Dropbox folder that you can view the RAW PowerPoint....there are about 50 more pages in this that were not used, but might give you some more ideas.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54673744/Doing it Different.pdf

Also, our goal is $200 per hour Per VAN....but that is not saying you might need to make those kind of numbers depending on your expenses, so don't necessarily base numbers off of what others are making.

Here is a link to my YouTube channel that might give you some ideas as to how our cleaning progression is with extra crew members.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi9UefjEixJPGgxWPTnEUhg

AND congratulations on being at a point that you are considering the need for a second person :)

Let me know if I can help more as well :)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We target $160.00 but I'd take the $800.00 day and be happy.

Its the illusion of control, what happens, happens. It should all even out.

Do you feel like she helped you? Was she able to clean some also?

A helper is nice to have but another cleaner on the truck to trade time with slinging the wand is where the real value of an assistant is.

Reactions: Erik

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
A comment that was also made above by Brian also reminded me, this is good to have your office worker or person answering the phone be in the field a bit (if they are able).

Since my wife and daughters have been out in the field and done cleaning, they are very good at also helping to answer technical questions that clients might have.

Invaluable in my opinion (and experience) if someone who has done the job has an understanding.

Just seems to make the appointment and booking experience even a more positive experience and sets up for an overall better experience for client and tech.

Reactions: Nate The Great

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
As Brian said, training another person to work with you helps if you need someone else to work if you are not able or available. I like to have several part time retired gentlemen to work with. They know how to work and leave the drama at home, or are wise enough not to have any drama:icon_rolleyes:

Reactions: Nate The Great

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun

Great info, thanks Mark

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
We target $160.00 but I'd take the $800.00 day and be happy.

Its the illusion of control, what happens, happens. It should all even out.

Do you feel like she helped you? Was she able to clean some also?

A helper is nice to have but another cleaner on the truck to trade time with slinging the wand is where the real value of an assistant is.

So far she is just a helper while I figure out the system and payroll crap. Once I nail all that down if we decide to keep her on, or hire someone else, I will train them to be able to use the wand as well.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
I would have to prearrange things with a divorce attorney before i could work on a truck with my wife.
A man has to know his limits and mine are after work, weekends and sleeping together. Best of
luck.

HA, yeah we are figuring out that dynamic as well. I have to remind her that even though she is the boss at home, I am the boss at work. Overall it has been good though.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
HA, yeah we are figuring out that dynamic as well. I have to remind her that even though she is the boss at home, I am the boss at work. Overall it has been good though.
I have been married 35 years, worked with my wife running the office for 25 years. How is that" I am the boss at work thing" working out for you:winky::winky::winky::winky:

Reactions: dgardner

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
$200-$250 per production man hour.

We have travel and a lot of customer fluff/service time, but actual production time/truck mount running hours averages berween $200-$250 per man and we run 2 man crews.

Reactions: Mikey P
Back
Top Bottom