20 hp Kohler usage

Mikey P

Administrator
In the manual of my Kohler it suggest an oil change every 100 hours yet our industry says every 50.

So what job was this engine really created for?

Must be a lot cooler and less dusty environment...

Which ain't mowing lawns

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
They are stationary industrial motors that power everything from lawn mowers to generators to cement mixers. Usually 50 hours for first oil change and 100 hours after that. If you change the oil, air filter, tune it up and adjust the valves once in a while, there is no reason not to get 4-5000 hours out of it. Most engines fail from lack of maintenance.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Swani
In the manual of my Kohler it suggest an oil change every 100 hours yet our industry says every 50.

So what job was this engine really created for?

Must be a lot cooler and less dusty environment...

Which ain't mowing lawns
I hear ya! But I gotta think when we plug out vacuum port and are running our machines to the max, it takes a way harder toll on our machines than most!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I quit keeping track of how many truck mounts we've installed in over 40 years at 500.

Oil and filters are cheap, engines are expensive

The guys that keep tight tabs on oil and filter changes (including air filters) sometimes get 4000, even 5000 hours out of engines that average 2500 hour lifetimes.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I hear ya! But I gotta think when we plug out vacuum port and are running our machines to the max, it takes a way harder toll on our machines than most!
I don't like the idea of plugging the vac port. It's done to bring up the temp of the blower to increase heat. Just let the truck run a little longer and take your time presprays get. You will get the same results imo.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Kohler makes good stuff. The original motor on my White Magic lasted over 10,ooo hours, I crap you not. It ran it's last 2000 hours with a blown head gasket. After Kohler screwed me out of a warranty when I was in the lawn care business I swore I would never buy another one, but they are one of the best.

Name
Ross Martin
I would still do it every 50 hours regardless.

If you do not use a Kohler oil filter, it will void your warranty.

Seems to me these little engines are working really hard.

Reactions: Mikey P

Able 1

Name
Keith
For my Kohler I change every 50, for my Kubota every 100 and after that 100 it's still golden..

Air filters don't get real dirty while in the truck, so it's low on the list for me..

Able 1

Name
Keith
Napa Gold filters for the Kubota and my Fords, Kohler filters only for my Peak..

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
For my Kohler I change every 50, for my Kubota every 100 and after that 100 it's still golden..

Air filters don't get real dirty while in the truck, so it's low on the list for me..
Air filter should be every 500hrs. When my tm gets covered in dust about once/month, that tells me it's sucking in that much dust

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Watch the air cleaner, it may not get the grit but it does get filled black from engine exhaust. The machines are sucking air right above the exhaust.

Reactions: Nomad74
Name
Todd
Change the spark plugs too. That is very easy to do. I just changed mine when it was around 1100 hours. It seems to run a little smoother

Champion RC12YC For the 20 HP Kohler on the 370

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
My Kohler toilet has consumed thousands of rolls of toilet paper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom