200 year(s) old oriental rug!!!

-JB-

Name
JB
Knowing the customer, I doubt it, but I also doubt ANYONE would place a 200 year old rug under their dining room table! :shock:

I'm sure they paid top dollar for it, I'll just be interested to see what "it" is. !dork!

rhyde

Name
rhyde
it's possible...often age is exaggerated the older the rug the greater the exaggeration

my genral rule of thumb is....old rugs made in the 20th century customer adds 30 years to age ..so the custy says it's 100 years old subtract 30 years for age. if 19th century subtract 50 years + 30 years for the 20th century =1870
:lol: :lol: :lol:

-JB-

Name
JB
I'll see how/if it's documented or a SWAG, course even if its a documented rug Ivebeensold it's still someones SWAG idnit?

I love a good mystery way better than a drama.

harryhides

Name
Tony
If you're lucky John, the date of origin may just be woven into the rug like this

RUGDATE.JPG

Of course you'd have to know how to read arabic numbers, so here a refresher course:

NUMBERS.GIF

Western-style numerals are in red; three versions of numbers in Arabic calligraphy are illustrated below them. Arabic numerals are read left-to-right, as in the West: thousands, hundreds, tens, ones.

Pictured here is part of a Bahktiari rug from Iran with a date woven into the guard border. Pick out the Arabic numbers that make up the date. Now change the Islamic date into western numbers, and convert the Islamic date into the Christian date.

Year One was still reckoned from the Hegira, Muhammad's flight from Mecca to Medina in 622AD. To convert an Islamic solar date into the Christian or Georgian date, use this formula:

Islamic solar date + 622 = Christian date [no lunar conversion factor is needed]
(Note that this conversion is not completely accurate, as the Islamic
and Christian new years occur at different times.)

Thus, a woven rug date of "1376" converts like this: Islamic solar date of 1376 + 622 = Christian date of 1998

See what you can come up as an answer for the rug shown above.

ps, Do the Arabs write right from weft to white or from white to weft, oh well, have fun John.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
I have my date tattoed on my bottom too! (Don't worry, I won't post a photo.)

Jim said he had a question about a 200-year old rug - I don't see the actual question here.

If the rug has COTTON fringes - it ain't 200 years old. If it's a typical room size, 8x10, 9x12 - it ain't 200 years old.

I suspect, if it's under a diningroom table - unless it's a palace size rug, you are looking at a rug half the age they say ... but let's see a photo.

We had a rug come through our plant earlier this year that ended up being a mint condition piece from the 1700's (sold at a German auction house and was showcased in Hali Magazine) - none of the "experts" could tell us exactly what it was, or what it was worth, because they had nothing to compare it to. It was a beauty though. Sold for $120,000 Euros.

Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
I'd pay good money to have a Rug Off between Lisa, Ruth and Randy at MF.

Watching these three ladies argue over warps and weft embedded alignment within the Harogue tribe's domestic and artistic squabbles would prove simply fascinating.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Instead of that, why not a panel of rug experts with a fair moderator and well thought out questions researched and prepared ahead of time?

Just don't do it during my presentation, because I'd not want to miss that opportunity.

Mikey P

Administrator
Ken Snow is a maybe.

If we can get Lisa and Randy to show up I'm betting Ruth and Aaron would be game.

I get the feeling the event is going to move into Sunday.

Jim, can you call Aaron to make sure he and Brent are coming?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I just talked to Aaron. He's available if we do it the Thursday PM before, otherwise he's committed to be in England for a class.

Brent will be there.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Cotton was invented - just not as easily accessible as a foundation fiber way back when ... let's see the photos! :)

Rug ID is interesting but is not relevant for cleaning. Fiber type, construction type, dye stability, and pre-existing conditions are what's important to proper cleaning decisions. If the rug is a machine woven, wool 20 year old Karastan from the USA or a 100 year old wool hand-woven Feraghan Sarouk ... the cleaning process (giving it a bath) would be essentially the same.

One of the ways the rug industry gets "complicated" is by insisting that cleaners need to be educated in identifying rugs before cleaning them. This helps immensely in MARKETING what you do and making the sales, because it makes you the expert to your customers - but if it is from Turkey or Romania or Nepal, the cleaning remains the same unless fibers, dyes, existing problems (pets, dry rot, etc.) or construction (woven versus tufted) tells you otherwise.

Aaron knows more about rug id in one scoop of his brain matter than Ruth will ever know. She just knows how to get a course approved that allows her to sell equipment and chemicals for her own financial gain, while she and Jeff chase down every other IICRC course to scold and punish them for "selling" their products when they teach. Just like Congress ... make the rules for everyone except themselves ...

Oh damn... I don't think that was politically correct.

Lisa

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Lisa you could argue though that when you get to a high volume plant rug ID does become important so you don't have to waiste you time doing a dye check on every single rug that comes through and you can sort rugs as they come in from problem rugs and non problem rugs right away. If you have to learn from the ground up on your own from testing and experience that could take alot more time than simply learning rug ID from the get go. Yes its a great marketing product, but its also a time saver as well.

And while cleaning a Feraghan Sarouk and an old 717 Karastan may be the same, one may be a heck of a lot more expensive to leave with your new cleaning technicians to wash, espeicially if they uncover some inherent cleaning problems. Like finding loose dye becaue a carpet cleaner steam cleaned it the last fourteen times with an alkalkine detergent.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
LisaWagnerCRS said:
Aaron knows more about rug id in one scoop of his brain matter than Ruth will ever know. She just knows how to get a course approved that allows her to sell equipment and chemicals for her own financial gain, while she and Jeff chase down every other IICRC course to scold and punish them for "selling" their products when they teach. Just like Congress ... make the rules for everyone except themselves ...

Oh damn... I don't think that was politically correct.

Lisa

But dead on! :mrgreen:

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
David - yes, I see your point ... and you also bring up another. Let's say that Feraghan was cleaned 14 times with a buffered highly alkaline cleaning solutions ... or heavily saturated with old pet urine stains (alkaline as well) ... then THAT valuable old rug could very well have dye migration that you would not be able to do anything to stabilize it.

Not because of where it came from. Not because of how old it is. Not because it's hand woven.

But because of the pre-existing conditions..

Good conversation (even though Ruth was brought up). LOL.

Lisa

-JB-

Name
JB
Okay Y'all here ya go, have atit!

DSCF0591.jpg

Just kidding.....here's the real "200 year old rug"

she says it's been in the husbands family for at least 80-90 years, she could actually trace it back to him's granmama.

BTW it's 9'6"x12'2"

here .....

DSCF0599.jpg

is that a cotton fringe????? Ivebeensold

DSCF0593.jpg

DSCF0595.jpg

DSCF0596.jpg

DSCF0601.jpg

and what's this????? a "repair" :roll: noice!

DSCF0602.jpg

c'mon Randy admit-tit, i got ya all hot n bothered now don't I ? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom