200 year(s) old oriental rug!!!

rhyde

Name
rhyde
LisaWagnerCRS said:
Cotton was invented - just not as easily accessible as a foundation fiber way back when ...

Lisa

I heard it when I first started in the rug business but it's not true cultivation of cotton in Persia predates Christianity and Plenty of carpets & carpet fragment with cotton foundations from the 16,17 & 18th century exist from all over Persia.

Khorason rug fragments at the textile museum

http://www.textilemuseum.org/pieces/objects1.html

-JB-

Name
JB
i would date it to the 1920's

sabouwhatifigered.

BTW Randy great post...

and yes the rug does have some serious issues, besides the old repair in the photo, its waaay dried out, so we are treating it like its made of papier maché

-JB-

Name
JB
LOL!!!! I saw that too, wasn't sure if anyone else would LOL!

Too funny! :lol:

>>>>>>>> My brother in Alabama was into all that BS for a while, he swore he got pics of some orbs in a cemetery down there, looked like dust to me!
To prove it we went back to the same cemetery at dusk one night last February when I was there and shot a butt load of pics, got a few "orbs"...

still looked like dust to me!<<<<<<<<<<<

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Well said Lisa- as one of the "high volume plants" other than some commonly know names of rugs or obvious countries of origin like China, India, Pakistan or Afganistan my rug cleaning employees couldn't identify by name or age except newer versus older. It has minimal bearing on the process of cleaning.

JB that rug is not likely more than 60-80 years old and should be no problem for you to clean. The repair looks poor, but was hard to tell from pic.

-JB-

Name
JB
JB that rug is not likely more than 60-80 years old and should be no problem for you to clean. The repair looks poor, but was hard to tel from pic.

The owner can track it back nearly 80 years, from her father in-law, and yeah the repair looks bad, but in fairness it was probably done before any of us were born, so I'll give credit were credits due.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
It's very pretty - I love Heriz's from this era.

On the cotton comment from one of you - yes, you're right, I was thinking tribal rugs in my head, which you did not see cotton as a main foundation thread 200 years back - but city production with access to supplies, you did see some. Though I'll tell you the rugs I've seen older than 1800, it's primarily been on wool warps - some silk - though again, more tribal pieces.

I love these "real" rugs - the tufted rugs do nothing for me.

Lisa

roro

Name
Ross Craig
rhyde said:
I heard it when I first started in the rug business but it's not true cultivation of cotton in Persia predates Christianity and Plenty of carpets & carpet fragment with cotton foundations from the 16,17 & 18th century exist from all over Persia.

Is there an implied full stop after "true" or are you having a dollar each way on this one Randy :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom