3" to 2.5" or 2" Filter Box

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Just a quick post on this...

Wednesday, March 19th, I'll have pictures of the new filter I've designed to post here.

It's designed to be versatile, in terms of installation:

1.) Only 10" x 14" footprint.

2.) Blower connection port is located high enough off of the floor to allow the hose to lay over a wheel well, when it's installed at the back door of a van (But it draws from the bottom, ensuring full drainage.)

3.) The blower connection handles 3", 2.5" or 2" hose

4.) The inlet to the tank handles 2.5" or 2" hose.

It's designed to have a large filter capacity.

1.) 4.7 gal. capacity for the filter itself The filter is stainless steel. (Box is aluminum.)

It's designed to be convenient.

1.) No ports on the lid... No need to move connections to remove the filter or access the interior.

2.) The airflow pathway at the bottom of the tank is easily accessible if needed, from both sides, in case of the remote possibility that there is debris there.

It's taken me a while to get this design to the point that I'm satisfied with it, but I'm pleased with the result.

More later...

Farenheit251

Thats cool. I pretty much would rather just filter my waste with a bag so I lose no vac. It was only a big deal when i couldn't get into the tank without a hammer and screwdriver the the deck plates. Odd thing was after 2.5 years of it being a major ordeal to get into the tank I was going to have John make the holes a little bigger so the deck plates would fit right,but the deck plates he had fit perfect. They were slightly smaller than the ones you used and that I've bought. Not a different size but jst a hair smaller.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Brian...

This one uses a stainless steel perforated metal filter with 1/8" holes in it. The total surface area of the filter is just over 475 sq. in., with about 50% of it actually, "breathable".

The way it's designed, airflow goes through the bottom of the tank, so debris is packed in as more comes in. It can only interfere if it's actually, "full", which takes almost 5 gal. of "stuff" to do. (Even if only 1" is left, there is still 37 sq. in. of surface area of the filter left as well. Taking half of the 37, you still have 18 sq. in. perforated, breathable area. A 2.5" hose has just under 5" of cross- sectional area, so you still have more than 3 times more area in the filter than needed to match a 2.5" hose... much less a 2" hose.)

On the Nemesis, 2 deck plates figure in, in a couple of places (4 total). I designed the holes to be 1/8" oversize, to prevent any chance of a bind.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
A good external filter is long over due. Getting into the waste tank is such a bish, especially on larger slide ins

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
I may have them up by Tuesday...

The boxes are supposed to be ready Monday. But I have an install to do and may not be able to break away to pick them up. I prefer to give a bit of a cushion regarding the timing, so I said Wednesday to be safe.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
excellent, it would be great to see manufacturers jump on board with this and that the prefilter does not need to be such a pain in the rear to reach.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I'm not a fan of the pool filter, otherwise I think what you did was great Ron. I just hate them. Crack in the winter, break at a flash of an eye.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Wednesday, as promised, the "UltraFlow" filter. The pic's are a little rough, but you get the idea...

What you'll see is:
A 3" FPT port for the blower (can be connected to a 3" hose, or bushed down to 2.5", or even 2"),
and a 2.5" FPT port for the wand connection (can be used at 2.5" or 2").

So, the UltraFlow is extremely versatile.

No system made is too large... or too small, to connect to it.

Actual filter capacity is 4.5 gal., give or take.

The container is aluminum. The basket is 304 stainless, including the handle.
It's 1/8" holes allow it to filter everything but sand, basically.

This filter breathes like no other. So, if you're looking for a large, versatile filter,
that was designed with airflow efficiency in mind, there is no need to look further.

DSCN1331.jpg

DSCN1327.jpg

DSCN1330.jpg

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
You know, just an idea. Why not have different sized rings (the lip that the basket sets on) that the basket hangs on the inside of the filter box for people to use their current baskets. It would cut the cost down some. Then, you could have them "pre made" to fit all the latest units :)

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Kevin Bunce said:
You know, just an idea. Why not have different sized rings (the lip that the basket sets on)...

Hey, Kev...

Well, one reason is that there's no guarantee that they would fit. There are who knows how many filter sizes out there... And one thing for certain... if an insert is made, it will be smaller than the filter that comes with it... This filter is intentionally not a square, but instead, it's a narrow rectangle. That gives it a narrow, "footprint", which means that it's also versatile in terms of where it can be mounted. But, it also means that other filters are much less likely to fit it well...

Smaller isn't "better", or even, "as good"... so, why go there...?

Regarding your previous question... I can show it to you, but I don't know what you'd "get", in terms of benefit, as a result.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
I'll put one up tomorrow.

One thing I forgot to mention (it's obvious, but someone else commented on it, so I'll mention it as a feature...) is that nothing connects to the lid.

That means that there's no need to disconnect in order to empty it...emptying it isn't complicated by having to fool with hoses, etc.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Hey, Jimmy...

The introductory cost for an UltraFlow filter is $545. I have 2 at that price. After these two are sold, the price will go up, closer to $700.

The reason is that I want to get some out quickly in order to create a demand for them.

I've also designed a "SuitCase UltraFlow". It's a smaller version (just under 3 gal.), but intended to be a "stand alone", portable version. You pick it up by the handle on the lid, which is securely fastened to the box for carrying purposes.

It has (2) 2" ports that lead to the truck and a single 2.5" threaded port to lead to the wand. That gives you the option of running a 2.5" hose from there, or, a 2" hose, depending upon which hose connector you screw into the threaded port. (I supply the one of your choice...) I don't have one built yet, so I don't know the exact cost. I'm ball- parking at around $550...

Thanks for your interest... 8)

Mike Draper

I can give my testimony to Duane's filter box, if you don't have one then you need to get one. I don't produce these, but made a stainless steel filter basket similar to Duane's for my butler and the difference is huuuuge!

january2008001.jpg
[/img]

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Thanks, Mike...

I'm working on a revision at the moment that will reduce the cost a bit and allow it to fit a little more "snugly" wherever it's installed.

Just finished the SuitCase UltraFlow last night. The filter capacity will be about 2.5 gal., and it will actually have a carrying handle similar to a suitcase...

Duane

Greenie

I like the "big" filter boxes, but I must say for something I thought was "just a fill in the gap" quick fix, the modified 2.5" Pool filter Screams with airflow, it's got to be the straight through design.

I sold every one I had made up at $149 gonna make 10 more.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
That's what the Suitcase UltraFlow is... It's about 2/3 the size of the UltraFlow and has a straight- through design.

Right now, I'm revising it a bit, to maximize material usage (minimize waste) and get the price down as much as possible...

Still, at 2.5 gal. "trap capacity", it's got considerable capacity.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Greenie said:
I like the "big" filter boxes, but I must say for something I thought was "just a fill in the gap" quick fix, the modified 2.5" Pool filter Screams with airflow, it's got to be the straight through design.

I sold every one I had made up at $149 gonna make 10 more.

it's an EXCELLENT mod to the ole pool filter

Greenie's mod filter is "meAt approved" :p :p :p

we use one all-de-time

BTW, our preference is the "regular" stainless wire strainer for more air flow

..L.T.A.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Pool filters are okay, in terms of protecting, until thee screen splits open, which is not unusual. (I've sold them for years and given one away with every "CP" system I've built, so I've seen this quite a few times. In fact, in my experience, they all split open eventually.)

But the main thing I didn't like about them (airflow aside, because most of my customers use a 1.5" "whip" hose), is how small they are, in terms of capacity. At about a gallon, they can fill up on a single job, if it's trashed and not pre- vacuumed. And, the reality is, that very few carpet care people really pre-vac. Even so, a carpet that sheds... like a new one, for instance, can fill one up in short order.

When I designed the UltraFlow and Suitcase UltraFlow, I made sure of two things, regarding the filter itself:

1.) It's rugged. Not a screen, but perforated stainless steel. It won't split or rust.

2.) It's big enough. Even the Suitcase UltraFlow is over 2.5 gal. capacity for the filter itself.

And there's enough airflow (and connections) for 2 wands simultaneously...

And, with the recent revisions, I'm getting the price down quite a bit.... More in line with the cost of 3 pool filters...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom