3 to the door??

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Simple: first 50... NO 100FT of Double - 1.5 hose giving a full 3inches of vacuum line almost all the way to the wand.

It's cheap, like 50 bucks for 50 ft, and easy to handle... why not??

Greenie

cause 1.5 + 1.5 doesn't = 3

IN all reality, that approach would be nuts (unless you had tons of 1.5" hose laying around, at no additional cost), because if you factor in a few hose connectors, the inside area of a pair of 1.5" hoses barely equals a SINGLE 2" hose!

Add to that the additional friction of all those potential bends x 2 and I beleive you would actually see a REDUCTION in vacuum.
A single larger conduit is always more efficient and less turbulent, and there is never a "path of least resistance" variable to consider in the air/water separation.

1.5 has no place except Uph. tools, we don't even use it on Portys anymore.

G

Amen greenie; I am drooling over 2.5 hoses now; when I went from 1.5 to 2 in on my Recoil; it was like night and day.

TimP

Ashley you gotta remember your geometry. Think of the area of a circle. 1.5 inch diameter circles equals 1.76 square inches. Prety darn small 2 of them you'd have 3.53 square inchies. 2 inch hose would equal 3.14 square inches so two 1.5 hoses together you'd have more than a single 2 inch but more friction from the side walls...so you'd probably see equal if not a loss in suction. 2.5 inch hose gives 4.9 square inches....not quite 2-2 inch hoses but less friction from side walls....so the net gain is very similar.

If you need to know how I got the numbers Pi R squared is the formula for area of a circle....where r=1/2 the hose width or diameter of the hose, pi is 22/7 or 3.14..... and you square only the radius or r.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I think it may have been Ross (roro) here in NZ that put up a photo some years back showing a 3" hose from the truck to the door.

If it was you Ross, do you still have that setup?

John

Greenie

A couple of MikeyFest back we did a 3" hose for demonstration on a Vortex, i made a special 3"Y with a pair of 2.5" branches on it and hooked it to Demien's dual 2.5" equipped Vortex, ran out 50' of 3" hose, then some 2.5" and finally some 2" to the wand.
Bottom line was the vacuum wasn't any better than the stock 2.5"....
Conclusion: the 2" lead hose prevented any more additional gains.... it seems physics still apply to our universe.

Now that said...I know someone with a big blower that is running 2.5 all the way to the wand, is gonna want to try it.

I'll try and delay them, until the next 2.5" tubed wand is avail, cause you still have 5' of a 2" restriction.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom