4 to the door or 2.5 from the tank.

Mikey P

Administrator
If not your a hack.

Sorry, it's true.

and it was I who first coined 4 to the door not that Sybil Shepard wanna be Bristorph.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
My 2 1/2 has been in back of the reel for a few months now.

It's to cumbersome, I'm a wimp and it's summer time :lol:

Albert

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Lets get the story right. I ran 4 to the door long before Mike. I talked about it with very little response. Mike came up and said "what about 4 to the door?" and WHAM the industry was changed!!!

No respect I tell ya no respect :D

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
No question about it, 4 to the door or 2.5 is a huge improvement, but i dont think it is fair to call everyone else a hack. I have done a very good job with a porty when I had to. It was slow and sucked balls, but a hack is someone who doesnt take their time to do a good job. Not someone with inferior equipment.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ok, I'll bite. What the hell is "4 to the door"?
Call me a hack if you want but at least I didn't cancel mikefest. :D

Rex Tyus

Maybe I am wrong but I seem to remember Greenie telling Waldo to run it on his unit and he would rival "his pops" V. He did it and WHAM! 4 to the door was born.

But I could be wrong.

4 to the Door is actually a deceptive term but it is meant to refer to running 2 2" hoses from the waste tank of those prefitted to a Y at or near the door. This is done to reduce the resistance in a hose run.

Rex Tyus

Brian Robison said:
Oh, you mean side by side? I see. I may have to try that.

Try it you will like it. But save yourself some time and money (in the long run) go ahead and get a 2.5" upgrade from Greenie and at least a 50' section of 2.5" hose. You think that Glided evolution sucks now...just wait. :twisted:

TimP

I have to say it helps a great deal....but to add an extra hose run is not fun for residential. If I'm at 100 ft or less I just run 2" if I run 150 or more I'll run the 4 to the door. It really helps.....200 ft with just 50 ft doubled feels as strong if not stronger than 100 ft of just 2". I'm really tempted to upgrade but I'm a really broke BDCC and am trying to break even :shock: Anyways it does work but it's not required for 100' day to day runs. If you like the extra pull and drying I'd have to say to make it worth it you need to run 2.5 hose and upgrade the port on your tank.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
What about when I'm running my hose 250ft or better? Should I have "4 to the door" for just the first 100ft? Or should I go further..I will have to buy more hose it looks like.
I like the 2 1/2" idea.
Someone is gonna have to tell me how to convert the filter box to that size.
Where oh where is Greenie?? :cry:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
By the way,
I have a fat ass hose coming from my tank to my filter box...does that count? Not sure the size looks alot bigger than a 2 1/2". Ok, time to pimp out me filter box.
Still lookin for Greenie. :cry:
Not too hard, I know where to find him.
He is my new hero. :mrgreen:

Rex Tyus

Brian Robison said:
By the way,
I have a fat ass hose coming from my tank to my filter box...does that count? Not sure the size looks alot bigger than a 2 1/2". Ok, time to pimp out me filter box.
Still lookin for Greenie. :cry:
Not too hard, I know where to find him.
He is my new hero. :mrgreen:

While the size coming from tank to filter box is important worry more about blower port to tank. It wouldn't do you any good to feed a fire hose with a water faucet. Vacuum is pressure in reverse (for lack of a better description). Your maximum flow will be limited to your minimum plumbing.

The 2.5" conversion is as easy as enlarging the 2" hose port to 2.5" lining up the sweeping 90 or manifold from Greenie and bolting that bitch on there. :D But yes talk to Greenie about unit specific parts and questions.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Not to veer off topic, but I started running 2- 1/4" water lines to the door. Man the heat is "Kick Ass".

Oh, I also just connected a Y directly to my wand and just run "4" to the wand. It's bitchin I tell ya.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
a cleaner used 2 1/4soln lines to the door back in 88-96, used it for upholstery. One line was a return to the truck, kept max heat to the house. I believe Steammatic uses a system like this direct to the wand. If I were in snow country I would run a system like this to prevent line freezing.

The new CanAm unit is plumbed 3" from the hookup at the back of the truck right through the blower exhaust. 2.5 hose the rest of the way. Getting excellent airflow.

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
I'm a HACK. Could someone post a pic sometime of this 4 to the door set up? Or at least clear this up for me. Do you need 2 Y connections? One at the door and one the waste tank?

Does set up and take down take quite a bit longer with this?

Love,
Your favorite hack.

Mike Draper

Seriously though, running four to the door is just play time and wasted time for carpet cleaners. Since your playing and not cleaning, why not run two 2.5" hoses to the door? Yea, it will get you great results but so will 2.5" hose to the wand and it's less time consuming and less hassle to setup. Remember, time is money.

G

Brian, just run a 2" line on both outgoing ports (on your filter box, you have to take the plug out of the other :p )
then run them both to the door to a y that you get from whoever has one.

Kevin

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
White Collar said:
I'm a HACK. Could someone post a pic sometime of this 4 to the door set up? Or at least clear this up for me. Do you need 2 Y connections? One at the door and one the waste tank?

Love,
Your favorite hack.

IMG_3389.jpg

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
White Collar said:

you're rolling out and in an extra 50ft of hose each time, so yea, it takes some extra time.

I've never run 4 to the door.
we've never had poor dry times, even in the "olden days" before all the designer mods.
So I just didn't see the needed hassle.
But it would seem you need 2 vac ports on your TM.
Other wise, adding a wye and going back down to one single 2" hose to the TM would be a bottle neck and you'd lose much of the air flow gain.

If you don't have dual vac ports on your TM, you can install one, or install a 2.5" vac port and use a single 50ft length of 2.5" vac hose.
That's what we do (2.5" hose) for any hose runs over 75ft.

there also comes a point of diminishing returns for time/effort with all the mods.
lastly, water recovery and dry times have as much to do with drying conditions, amount of pre-spray needed, how much flow and wand technique more than anything else

..L.T.A.

R

R W

I run 1 2.5 for single wand cleaning, down to 2" to the wand. But if you don't have a smooth flow elbow, it defeats the purpose. My Genesis came equipt with 2-2" 90* elbows, and that really impeded smooth flow. Greenglides supplied me with the dual 2.5 smooth flow tank ports, and what a difference.......even with running 2" from the tank, still a big difference. On dual wand jobs, I just hook up 2 - 2.5's (50 footers), and reduce down from there.

I actually coined the phrase "4 to 3 to 2"......just now. Last year I tried running 2-2", wyed to a 3"PVC pipe, and then down to 2". I don't know how well it worked....I was up 6 floors. It seemed a little stronger, but it was hard to tell.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I must need a new glide. I'm running 2 inch hose to a short whip (6-8' of 1 1/2"), 14 inch wand with hole glide, with five holes opened up on Nick's free flow 38/56 he built me and the lock down is so bad I pull the carpet off the tack strip sometimes. Runners and area rugs also have been a bitch lately due to the lock down. I think I will go look for a new glide.

Greenie

Ya have to take the hack label as a compliment...lol Recovering Hack is also good.

Adding a second 2" port is a PITA, I would just replace my stock 2" with a 2.5" and be done with it. Something like this is universal, 2.5 slips over the outside, and 2" will slip inside, and it howls for airflow as RW pointed out.

25EL.jpg

or the double:

25ELdbl.jpg

and you might want a mounted piece like this to plumb some hose from the elbow to the front of the machine:

25JB.jpg

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Greenie said:
Ya have to take the hack label as a compliment...lol Recovering Hack is also good.

Adding a second 2" port is a PITA, I would just replace my stock 2" with a 2.5" and be done with it. Something like this is universal, 2.5 slips over the outside, and 2" will slip inside, and it howls for airflow as RW pointed out.

25EL.jpg

or the double:

25ELdbl.jpg

and you might want a mounted piece like this to plumb some hose from the elbow to the front of the machine:

25JB.jpg

I think I just came a little.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom