5006 Tuthill Tri-Lobe

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
When I turn the shaft backwards I can hear a slight clunking sound. Is this normal?
It's the first tri-lobe I have had. There is no noise in the blower while running it. I checked a couple Sutorbilt 4MP's I have and they are just as smooth forward and back but this blower has a slight clunk.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
No, it's not normal.

However, without more information it's impossible to tell whether the symptom is problematic or innocuous.

If it's a timing issue, it could be serious. If it is simply a lobe buildup that exhibits itself in one direction, but not the other, then it may likely never amount to anything, and in fact clear upon cleaning/corrosion proofing.

You have not mentioned the application, the age/hours, the visual condition of the lobes, any precipitating events which caused you to examine the blower in the first place, maintenance history, etc.

Try cleaning the lobes with a wire brush and liquid wrench.

G

I been flushin' them out wit clear water out the garden hose.....about 45 seconds wit a full stream going through...then spray liberly wit WD 40!

Been doing this for 35 years...never had a blower go out on me!

steve r

if these blowers are anything like the ones i use to use in the folding carton industry which i believe they are the lobes float in a slot and centrifigul force pulls them out to the outer wall so when turning backwards slowly they could slide and cause what you are hearing but dont take my word for it.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
carefree,

you are thinking of a vane type pump/blower. These units have no such sliding component, but instead use a counter rotating displacing lobe.

If it is a new unit then I would have it checked. Any interaction at slow speed can be quite destructive at running speed and temp.

Back
Top Bottom