8500 SF of red quarry tile in kitchen...

R

R W

Help.....I've got to bid on a tile job which conssists of 8500 sf of red quarry tile in a kitchen, plus the ceramic tiles on the walls (maybe 2500 sf). This kitchen is a rough setup for a truck mount, and I was thinking of using a high PSI portable which would use only the temp of water that is available in the kitchen. This is a hospital set up, so oderous chems are to be avoided. They haven't given me any specs on which chems I can use, yet. I can pre-scrub with either a 175, or I have a Conqueror with the T&G brush. I use a SX12 Turbo cleaning head, and I will pick up a small hand held tool for the walls. They also want the floor tiles (grout) sealed with water based sealer....no solvents.

OK....what chems would work best with this situation? Also....I'm not worried about pricing too high....if they accept my bid, I'll do it. If it's too high, then I won't. What's a price, per sf, that would be profitable with this job? I need to price out the floor, sealer, and walls seperately.....and I need the price by Monday, July 21.

Thanks for any help.

RW

TimP

If you can't use strong cleaners I may look into using some judson O2 with booster or Powermax at a maximum dilution. I'd definitley use the 175 on the floor with a stiffer pad. I'd look into buying a drill or something I can use to scrub the walls. I'd say scrub scrub scrub, with a stand brush for the grout lines. Since you don't have temp, and chemicals on your side. Dwell and aggitation are going to be your friend. I'd probably test different chemicals to see if you can get the result you want and see how much time it takes you.

To clean and seal in this kind of setting I'd say at least a buck a ft....less if you can see you can do it quickly through a test. But I'm guessing it's going to be heavy in grease and it's going to be tough based on what you're going to have available for chemicals. The best way to figure out pricing is to see how long it takes or figure in some way how long it takes to do a certain ammount of area then multiply it out by the amount you want per hour.

Fon Johnson

I would go about a buck per foot too. CTI's Element 8 might work, but I think I would pass if I could not use Duane's Grime Be Gone. I use a lot of Tile Lab sealer. I know it is found at home depot, but our customers like how it performs, and it is easy to use. It can be a real bear to get kitchen floors clean, ESPECIALLY without a solvent.. Will you be having to move prep tables and such? That can be a pain too. This is the kind of job where I will make good money, or I'll walk. There is too much easy work out there to do that is profitable.

SJA

I agree with all of the above. I would try figuring out how many days the job will take and price it at your daily rate (add a some fudge??). In my opinion, the most important thing is to do a demo - it will help you in pricing and will set a realistic level of expectation. Setting a realistic level of expectation is the most important thing - because oftentimes the 3rd or 4th cleaning will not make that big a difference. Set the custy up to make sure you do not have to go back because everyone is not on the same page.

The only other thing to look out for is - grout lines that no longer have grout and are full of grease. We have had to scrape out grease with screw drivers. This is unlikely - but it has happened to me a couple of times. In all, I would rather charge $6,000 (for example) and get in/out in three days then charge $10,000 and have it turn into a nightmare because no one is on the same page.

Good Luck

R

R W

Thanks, all. I'm probably going to price it out at about $10,000. If I get it, it will be worth the hassle. If not, good luck to whom ever gets the job.

It's going through 3 levels of contractors before it gets to me. The kitchen is being remodeled, and the floor has been repaired in areas. Hours would be after 8 at night untill 3 in the morning....yuck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom