90 in the 45

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Used to ride dirt bikes and street bikes when I was a kid. These days my cycling gets done on a Campy equipped Cervelo. But I can't do 90 in a 45. My top speed was 45 - drafting a city bus.

Reactions: Mikey P

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I refuse to purchase any meat products, fruits and vegetables from Walmart. The meat is too red, and the vegetation is obviously not healthy. As for anything else, give me a buggy.

With that sweet bike above, it looks like a motocross bike that's street legal...SWEET!

I hope that very soon I'll be in the financial situation where I can purchase another dirt and street bike. I've had 5 bikes in my younger years and the last 2 I had to sell because I was broke. that's not gonna happen anymore.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
I like your analogy Mike. I think that business can be a lot like a fast curve. You prepare by lining up and factoring the conditions. Then you execute the curve. Once you're in a curve you're committed. You can't brake at that point. You've got to pick the best line before you enter the curve, and then power through it. You can't bail halfway through. Throughout the curve you remain alert to detect danger. Successfully maneuvering the curve comes down to reaction, reaction based on experience. Business throws up a lot of curves. Those who fear the curves should probably stick with a good 9-5 job.

images

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The curves are what test you. You learn from the experience and are better prepared for the next one.

Those challenges are what give you confidence and pride in what you are able to accomplish.

It makes for a meaningful life. :cool:

P.S.
Oh yeah, failures suck...but it too is a part of life. :errf:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Richard, you forgot to mention that you take it one day at a time and that it ain't over till the fat lady sings.
Other than that it's perfect.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
It's just un-American NOT to shop at wal-mart. In fact it borders on communism.

Reactions: hogjowl

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They built a new one last year in a rough area of town. It's actually very nice, very clean and stocked very well. I shop there if I'm going shopping while at work. Otherwise there is an older one on my way to and from home.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Dollar general really? No comparison with a wal mart super store. Just avoid peak times like friday, saturday and sunday. And right after 5 everyday

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
With no music or sync'd microphones in my helmet, with 2720 total miles ridden, I had many hours to ponder the meaning of life and it's relationship to hauling ass on a motorbike.

I think it's safe to say that many if not all the members here are not your typical Larry Lunchpail sorts who lust plod along in life riding scooters to and fro to a daily, life long grind of a "job.

My best friends in my life are those that typically take big chances and point their wheels into corners at twice the recommend speed suggestions and don't think about gravel patches, deer, Prius drivers who think "if 45 is good, 30 must be better", spilled oil or pot holes that may upset their course in life. I ride with and emulate these types.
Take it from me, when you're mid turn, fully committed on a new to you road with a rock wall on one side and a 200 ft plunge into the snake river on the other, the faith in your over reactionary breaking skills, the local road maintenance crews and the Pirelli Tire Company and has to, or should, be stronger than your belief in your almighty, karma, truth, justice or the American way.

How do you enter the blind turns in your life?

Me? I'm a punch it, go and ask for forgiveness (or permission) later type, it just makes the whole ride that much more interesting, and fun.

but thank gawd for my killer spidey senses, they're nearly impeccable and down right amazing when it comes to "feeling" those Prius drivers waiting for me to catch up..
Now you should try it without a helmet.

Name
Wayne Thompson
Been down 3 times. One was gravel on a turn, didn't make the turn and went over the bank into a field, hurt my back but not bad. Two was a black lab dead in the road, I seen the dark spot in the road but was going to fast to miss it. The bike went down with my right leg still under the bike and sliding forward on asphalt. I could look under my knee cap when all was done. Third was riding fast in town at night. I came up to an intersection with no stop signs either way, looked left car way down there , looked right, no cars, looked left and splat. The guy in the car was doing about 60 in a 25 , I ended up in the middle of a hedge about 100 feet away. Only broke my nose and my arm in two places. I have a numb spot on my left leg where the bumper hit but it did not break it. I still love riding but I do it at a reasonable pace now. I have always loved to ride fast.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Growing up I learned that life is full of peaks and Valleys.-- good times and bad. So when I'm on a peak I prepare for the valley. This preparation make the "Valley" less severe.
I guess I'm a SxS powering along-- when the trail gets rough and its time to 4x4 over the "boulders" I power through and experience all that the ride has to offer.
Once past the Obstacles I praise the Lord for giving me the tools to survive.

When I got screwed out of $23k by that Ace TM deal-I was proud I was able to take that hit and survive-- I was also happy I didn't own a gun---haha

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
I worked for Walmart for 12 years, 9 in store management. As with any company, there's good and there's bad. It's all about perspective. They were great to me as a management employee, they're not as great to their hourlies.

It's 24-hour retail and 24-hour retail sucks. You don't get evenings, weekends, or holidays off ever, you're verbally abused by clueless customers who want you to deliver on unrealistic expectations, and you're expected to do the work of 3 people alone and more on top of that. If you work there, you accept these things because that's what you signed up for. (Or you complain a lot because you didn't know what you signed up for.)

Upper management is so far out of touch with what is needed to run a store... The budget for labor is only about 2/3 what is truly needed to produce the results they expect, just to name one example. It's sad. I wasn't sorry to leave, and every time I walk back through one of the stores where I worked, the associates tell me how things get worse every day. A great number of my friends/former managers were just pushed out of their positions during another restructure. Some had to step down lesser paying positions, some had to leave the company altogether. What they've done to a lot of people who gave them 10-20 years of their lives is sick :(

But all that being said, I shop there. It's convenient, the prices are good, and I run into everyone I know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom