a cleaning company is being handed to you

The Preacher

the owner is in a spot where he has to leave town for 12-18 months (he's not going to jail). wants me to take over his op.

what would you ask as compensation?

i can use his equipment to do both his and my accounts if i so choose.

he is a residential budgit/volume cleaner, i'm a 90% commercial cleaner.

show me yore smarts!

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Danny I don't know you so I only speak of the commercial carpet cleaners I know.

All of them I know wouldn't do well in a residentail setting. Not the cleaning part but the customer interaction part.

Your in an intimate setting in a house with women mostly. Women have to feel comfortable and have to like you. You need to go out of your way to show respect for the home and sell yourself. Most commercial cleaners wouldn't make it far in the residential market.

I may be preaching to the choir and you may already shine in a residential setting just my experience.

Mikey P

Administrator
That's a real concern for Danny...

I dont think he has enough social skills to ref pee wee football let alone sell a lady Teflon.

I cant imagine Mrs Pift enjoying it when Danny calls her over to "Feel my hot wand lady!".....

F

FB7777

Guys, Danny said the guy is a budget volume cleaner...

even a slacker like danny should be able to meet their expectations

I'd let the guy set the price and negotiate down from there

I think 20% commission to him is fair.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"I think 20% commission to him is fair."

Even though Danny would be using the other guys equipment?

"i can use his equipment to do both his and my accounts if i so choose."

..L.T.A.

Rex Tyus

Danny, I would use extreme caution. Unless you know and TRUST this individual very well you could pour much blood sweat and tears into building up HIS business and two years later he is back. If he is a typical T-Town splash and dash you could easily improve his companies image only to be kicked to the curb later. Why not buy the business outright ?
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rex

G

Lets see...Coit pays a chimp 22%.

Is Danny more or less than a Coit Chimp. Will Danny really be running the BIG show...or just a wand pusher? What are old Chumps numbers.

Chad

F

FB7777

Hey Larry I can read, did you offer danny any help?

You break out the spreadsheet, depreciate the guys equipment, figure out repair costs to the guys equipment etc

Who's company name is on the invoices, who's paying the insurance?

Is Danny a 10-99 subcontractor, an employee or re-imbursing the guy?

These scenarios have disaster written all over them, the question is without sufficient info

All I got from this, is the guy is in a pinch and its not a high priced operation

My suggestion is the guy gets 20% profit off the top gross #

Whats is the net profit from a "budget volume" owner op company anyways? 40-50%?

Assuming a 50% profit margin, I think 20% to the absentee owner is fair.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"Hey Larry I can read, did you offer danny any help?"

You don't have to get all pissy Fred.
I trust your biz knowlege more than mine, that's why I asked.

As far as help for Danny, i don't know what his situation is.
He's got 6 kids and may have to do what he has to do to feed his family.

Far be from me to tell a guy I'd rather deliver pizza than bust my hump playing splash & dash for "budget/volume" pricing

I know what budget/volume pricing is here, i can only imagine what it is in the panhandle of Florida

...L.T.A. and KMA

Name
BradFenstermaker
Danny I have done this same thing for a fellar here. He went down for hip surgery twice.

Basically I sent him 20% every week from the total of his work. Forwarded his phone to my cell phone. It was easier to track that way. Told everyone up front who I was and why they got my business. Most didn't care. Some couldn't handle my higher price's. My friend is a budget or below cleaner.

Every job was invoiced by my company with his listed as the referal. Let him know up front you will not market to his list. Or solicit cards and such. And that some may choose your service's next time. It can fill your schedule on the slow days.

Will he be reachable by phone? Worst you can do is try it and maybe make some more money.

Brad

F

FB7777

oh please Larry, there's that glass chin again, I barely touched you Loretta.

KMA? GFY lol

I rarely try to help in these odd scenarios, my gut feeling in these things is they're doomed from the start.

In the end, either the guy ends up thinking danny is a thief or Danny will feel exploited... similar to a partnership.

The Preacher

the owner in question is in the military reserves and is being deployed. his biz is fairly new and he has alot of advetising he's already paid for.

I trust him that if i help keep his biz running while he's gone that i won't get screwed.

i've been in the cleaning biz for 20 years now and i can make $$$ in residential or commercial, i prefer commercial.

i'd love to get more biz advise from guys in the know here about this situation.

Farenheit251

If he is new he might as well just make you a deal for everything and keep the transaction clean. He can get a a new name and number when he comes back and start again.
Being that he is new he probably expects to advertise and still make a decent profit. My experience has been that advertising has been a way to increase my client list and solidify my business,but rarely did I make much after other expenses. Even if you just paid his advertising and didn't keep the clients I think it would be a bad deal. Brian E

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom