"A Look in the Mirror"

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
I speak with many, many individuals each & every week, as a few on this board may know first hand, I am constantly on the phone conversing on one subject ,or another. And, I have always enjoyed these conversations and will continue to look forward to hundreds more until the last day I close the door behind me.

However, the one conclusion I get from many conversations is the conveyance that the people in this Industry; the Operators/Owners, seem to be in a rut. They seem to think and act as if they are "Laborers and/or employees", rather than "Owners and/or Sales people".

I can clearly understand why perhaps the majority of Operators stall along the way in their efforts to build their businesses; create continued excitement; and thus eliminate so called: Burn-out.

I just wonder how many Operators go out on location, go through the same motions, pack up, go back to the office and wait for the next call. Oh, sorry, I forgot a quick stop at the Donut shop.

I wonder how many actually ask for more cleaning on the job? I wonder if they ever ask for referrals? I wonder if they have a system set up for a yearly phone call for perhaps another cleaning? Or, I wonder if they have a "spotting program" in place for all their customers thus locking them in on any cleanings? (and there are a lot more ideas here as well)

As much as I hate to admit it, I have witnessed a large majority of Owners not running their businesses like a real "Business", but rather a task or just a job (labor).

I also do not see them having a policy of "re-energizing" their batteries from week to week so that on Monday morning they are excited to get put there and make their businesses a success.

Well, understand that I have only offered a quick over-view; however, I remember all the fun we had when I owned a Cleaning business myself and built that into a 11 truck operation. It was fun because we made it that way and we built the business like a business, just like any business.

The very best to all.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Outstanding Post Ed !

Gotta poke our heads out of the box and look around once in a while.

Chris

Mikey P

Administrator
Ed

Let's be honest, most Owner Operators are just unhireable Lunchpail Larrys. Not businessmen at all, just a guy clever enough to buy a portable and figure out how to get a coupon printed.

These sorts will almost never show up here or an event or a SFS to better their business. Their bullheaded know it all-ness is what got them fired from their last Job.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
from what I have seen...most can't grasp the difference between working "in" your business and working "on" you business..........

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Yes, Ed is beyond correct!

I know multiple guys just like he describes, when a mechanical failure happens like the blower fails, their world is over because they don't have 2000 to buy and install a new blower.

They are only focused in making at least 750 an average week and up to 1500 on a record week. They have no system at all on how much money to save or to even save any money anyways for unexpected but inevitable bumps in the road.

Lefty724

Name
E
I fall into this category!

After 4 years in the cleaning business, I'm finally starting to think like a "Business Owner" rather then a laborer. Seems like I'm looking at charts, money in/out, etc. a lot more this year than before and to be honest, is a huge reality check!

Nice post Ed!

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
A job without a boss is how most people look at it.

Nothing wrong with being an o/o long term just need to make a healthy profit and invest it over the years. Know operators locally who are very successful financially, have to plan it out though and not wing it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom