a serious lack of education, or?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
you should pray the Lord toughen your tender ego if you think any of that is "condescending"

if you want a "rah-rah" cheerleader, that doesn't harsh your mellow, your "baby burds" will have to provide that.

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
PEEE-ESS
and I'm not the one that implied all the training currently available is non existent or worthless crap

geeze-o-pete,
pot kettle much?

..L.T.A.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
every industry has training courses, you can take the most respected course for whatever industry you're looking at.. success isn't dependant on the course, but the student and luck/timing

Reactions: Cleanworks

Mikey P

Administrator
every industry has training courses, you can take the most respected course for whatever industry you're looking at.. success isn't dependant on the course, but the student and luck/timing
I and a lot of others, much smarter than me, disagree.
What are industry offers today is shameful.

The new generation deserves more..

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Mike, you've got my full support on getting a quality, hands on education program made to build a real career in this industry. I think I would've made it allot further and prevented several mistakes in not only the cleaning, but business mistakes and mechanical mistakes in our equipment. Just try to stay away from any virtual classes. Total junk and lazy idea from all the fat retired teachers who are still trying to have some sort of income

But I am a little Bitter about the situation also. I remember telling you guys that I was considering starting a class program over here at my local technical school to help others in my state and was hoping to get some positive ideas from it because I had the same mindset that the current education IICRC offered was a waste of time.
Most of you, from the response of my idea were pricks. There were a few of you who were supportive, and one well known, and very intelligent person in our industry contacted me directly and wanted to put together a curriculum to get it started. But, unfortunately, after I opened my mouth on here about the idea, my local tech school all of a sudden stopped returning my calls. I wonder who from the Elite group of pricks in our industry called the tech school and spread a bad seed about me. Because the School was very supportive of my goals until I brought the idea on here. ???

FredC

Village Idiot
Mike, you've got my full support on getting a quality, hands on education program made to build a real career in this industry. I think I would've made it allot further and prevented several mistakes in not only the cleaning, but business mistakes and mechanical mistakes in our equipment. Just try to stay away from any virtual classes. Total junk and lazy idea from all the fat retired teachers who are still trying to have some sort of income

But I am a little Bitter about the situation also. I remember telling you guys that I was considering starting a class program over here at my local technical school to help others in my state and was hoping to get some positive ideas from it because I had the same mindset that the current education IICRC offered was a waste of time.
Most of you, from the response of my idea were pricks. There were a few of you who were supportive, and one well known, and very intelligent person in our industry contacted me directly and wanted to put together a curriculum to get it started. But, unfortunately, after I opened my mouth on here about the idea, my local tech school all of a sudden stopped returning my calls. I wonder who from the Elite group of pricks in our industry called the tech school and spread a bad seed about me. Because the School was very supportive of my goals until I brought the idea on here. ???

Virtual classes aren't really an issue. They do need to be put together (and taught)by someone who actually understands the process of educating people.

I can only find one mention of you suggesting the idea to a school here

I don't know how much contact you had with them but I would assume they humored you for a bit because there is a lot more that goes into offering a course at a college than just having course material and wanting to teach. They probably ghosted you once they knew you didn't understand that or were going to be more persistent than they thought. Of course you did challenge folks to burst your bubble.

FredC

Village Idiot
I love know-it-alls.....

Well, tell us Mike, why would the community college stop communicating with him about offering a class? You think it's because someone here or elsewhere called up the college and shit on Matt....

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I’ve asked more questions and admitted to be at fault more than most on here

Know it all? Not me

Mikey P

Administrator
I assume he meant me but I could be wrong
you're not.

1701016793392.png

• Love

FredC

Village Idiot

I know you've developed quite the persecution complex these days but my response, which should have been evident by the quote, was a response to Matt based on the info he has given. It wasn't in any way addressing your idea/project.

If you think community colleges (state based) are waiting with open arms for randos with class ideas (even personal enrichment) I think you are mistaken. Have you ever taken a community college/technical college/trade school course?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I know you've developed quite the persecution complex these days but my response, which should have been evident by the quote, was a response to Matt based on the info he has given. It wasn't in any way addressing your idea/project.

If you think community colleges (state based) are waiting with open arms for randos with class ideas (even personal enrichment) I think you are mistaken. Have you ever taken a community college/technical college/trade school course?
There was no personal get rich quick motive when I brought that up. I honestly despised most of the classes I’ve taken due to the outdated, or improperly waste of time I could not apply to my business model and I thought it would’ve been a good opportunity to contribute to help new owners or new employees avoid mistakes that I made

FredC

Village Idiot
There was no personal get rich quick motive when I brought that up. I honestly despised most of the classes I’ve taken due to the outdated, or improperly waste of time I could not apply to my business model and I thought it would’ve been a good opportunity to contribute to help new owners or new employees avoid mistakes that I made

I understand the motive. I'm saying that there is more to getting a class approved than just having a class to offer especially in state tech colleges. You might be able to get it done as one of those personal enrichment type classes but as a course offered by the school as a pathway (or certificate) it would be much harder and require someone/org with the resources and knowledge of the hoops

edit: Once again, this is not addressing Mike's project only you approaching a local college about a class offering

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Why not, lots of guys want off the truck and into the class room.

Courtney is doing well with his wood classes and, you've already established a great hard surface class.

I know when guys ask questions about Saltillo, there's a small handful willing to even mess with it.

Mess intended.

That's not my bag mister.

Serious it's not my bag

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
One of the daily activities at the end of each day of the class was to literally take 2-3 different students to a few jobs and let them apply what they’ve learned from the class and teach it while on the job whether it’s carpet, uph, hard surface, on site rug, or water mitigation or servicing machine, to going out shaking hands meeting new potential clients, etc.

That was just a small piece of the curriculum I was putting together while I was brainstorming

I always thought that would’ve been the benefit an actual business owner had over a wore out jondon teacher in a class pushing up selling scotchguard on every job as an example

Reactions: Mikey P

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
truth is, education doesn't stop one from being a hack.
Education can certainly prevent a conscientious person from making mistakes...which is a great thing, but hacks will be hacks regardless

Believe it or not, it's in all the licensed journeyman trades too
We've tossed more than a few contractors out of our program for slipshod workmanship and/or unethical practices

.L.T.A.
Yep, you can have someone who knows how to do something but for one reason or another decides to do a shitty job.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I and a lot of others, much smarter than me, disagree.
What are industry offers today is shameful.

The new generation deserves more..

I'm no fanboy of whats currently available.
Yet, many have probably sat next to a muppet in an IICRC course knowing the person next to us regardless of the course and pass was still a muppet.

I am a fan of continued learning in all areas of life.

If you can do better than whats available and turn a profit at same time then all the best.

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm no fanboy of whats currently available.
Yet, many have probably sat next to a muppet in an IICRC course knowing the person next to us regardless of the course and pass was still a muppet.

I am a fan of continued learning in all areas of life.

If you can do better than whats available and turn a profit at same time then all the best.
The only iicrc course I took that had hands on training was an upholstery course with Ron Toney. We all got a chance to learn how to clean "with style".

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The only iicrc course I took that had hands on training was an upholstery course with Ron Toney. We all got a chance to learn how to clean "with style".

Ron Toney was and is one of the few original thinkers in the training industry.

Some of his ideas I incorporate into my training now, and am grateful to have learned from him along the way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom