Anyone ever clean Lifeguard Carpet from Shaw Ind.?

Name
Steve Lawrence
I have a customer who has this stuff and wants it cleaned. Supposedly it's nylon with a waterproof backing so that spills, pet accidents, etc. will not penetrate the backing.

Any special considerations?

Thanks!

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I looked it up, doesn't say anything eles than your typical HWE. I'd imagine that it prefer to avoid high ph. Whats the backing made of and how is it water proof?

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
Name
Steve Lawrence
I looked it up, doesn't say anything eles than your typical HWE. I'd imagine that it prefer to avoid high ph. Whats the backing made of and how is it water proof?
I don't know how it is made waterproof...the lit from Shaw I read doesn't include those details.

I wonder how this carpet would do in a water damage situation when water gets under the carpet from the edges or ?

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

steve_64

My guess is, if they are buying that carpet their pets are pissing all over it.
And once it has penetrated that backing there will be no getting rid of the odor. Gortex will absorb moisture when saturated.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The differences that matter to us are:
- Any spill or "accident" will hit the backing and spread. If you clean too quickly you'll remove discolorations from the top of the nap and have a wicking problem as it dries. The baseball sized spot will return as a basketball sized spot.
- Because the backing doesn't allow air to pass through either, air only passes through the sides of the nap instead of also through the backing, making it a little tougher to rinse that stuff at the base of the nap.

So, spend a little more time vacuuming where significant liquid is spilled.

steve_64

The differences that matter to us are:
- Any spill or "accident" will hit the backing and spread. If you clean too quickly you'll remove discolorations from the top of the nap and have a wicking problem as it dries. The baseball sized spot will return as a basketball sized spot.
- Because the backing doesn't allow air to pass through either, air only passes through the sides of the nap instead of also through the backing, making it a little tougher to rinse that stuff at the base of the nap.

So, spend a little more time vacuuming where significant liquid is spilled.
So you don't think urine will soak into the backing off this product?

If left to sit for hours or days like most urine spots, I believe it will absorb. And we will never be able to remove it.

Reactions: The Great Oz

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
There's a plastic layer above the backing. < Wrong.

This picture shows the plastic is below the primary backing, so spills will soak into that layer of latex.

Still probably easier to deal with than pad and flooring impacted by urine.
LIFE-GAURD-LAYERS-OF-ANATOMY-300x251.jpg

PS: Another "pet accident" product is a rug pad that has a waterproof layer. Doesn't help protect the rug or the pad, but protects the flooring from urine damage. It has instantly become a big seller.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom