Anyone have a drone for hobby?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
If it's your first drone... Don't spend a lot! Unless you fly like an old lady, you are going to crash it, a lot! If you don't crash it, you will lose it in a tree. It's guaranteed...

Do yourself a favor(if it's your first) get something cheap.
Get something like the Syma x5sw
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xx5sw.TRS0&_nkw=x5sw&_sacat=0

Super cheap, lots of parts on the net, it breaks you get a new one. You break your Phantom and you will cry, a lot....

I've got like 4 buddys who all have/use the little x5sw instead of higher priced ones. You can practice in the house if windy. It's much more agile than larger drones. We don't bother putting on the camera or guards they add lots more weight and the camera is nothing special.

Think the syma battery gets you 5-7 minutes, doesn't seem like a lot, but it's okay. Get extra batteries.

Good luck!

Reactions: icleancarpetz

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
If you're a beginner... Get cheap cheap cheap.

If you're already comfy flying one then get a dji spark.

If you're very comfy then get a dji Phantom 4 pro. (Or anything above that.)

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I have a few drones including the phantom, mavic pro, and spark along with some cheaper ones.

My favorite is the mavic pro hands down.

Very stable flight, pretty good video, good features and 16-18 minutes of flight time per battery. You need a few batteries with each drone.

I like the follow me mode and active track mode features are awesome.

I have flown mine over a mile away and have only lost connection one time but it reconnected and I hit the return to home feature and it came back.

steve_64

I have a few drones including the phantom, mavic pro, and spark along with some cheaper ones.

My favorite is the mavic pro hands down.

Very stable flight, pretty good video, good features and 16-18 minutes of flight time per battery. You need a few batteries with each drone.

I like the follow me mode and active track mode features are awesome.

I have flown mine over a mile away and have only lost connection one time but it reconnected and I hit the return to home feature and it came back.
That sounds pretty cool.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
What do you recommend for aerial photography Jerry & Michael ??

Thanks.

:yoda:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
If you are serious about it, i would have to suggest a phantom 4 pro to start, then when you get good and you like it, get an inspire 2 .
Then you will have the best of the best.

Yes - like Mike said, these types of drones are practically made for taking photo/video very "professional" and expensive for something you can lose in a tree! The Phantom is pretty much considered "the best" and has been for a while. It's pretty amazing, you can make the drone stay in one spot/attitude(by itself) and just move the camera around.

If you(like me) enjoy flying through trees, around poles, close to ground, etc... Do not get a Phantom! I enjoy the flying, never even put the camera on mine.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Thanks for the replies.

I'm more into the photography side of things & seeing places from a different perspective has shown me a whole new window of our planet.

Here's a video of a place I visited south of Sydney, unfortunately it was raining when I was there.

I downloaded this from the net, it was seeing vids like this that got me interested in them.

:yoda:

rick imby

Name
Rick

Looks to me like a huge ripoff. 3 bike wheels (different hubs for the rear) and a motor schroud for $2600. Doesn't include the flying gear like the Chute, controls, motor and blade.

A buddy of mine had a two man unit that he used a bit. He crashed it and sold it. No injury in the crash which was lucky.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Thanks for the knowledge guys---I've been thinking of buying one to play with---Trees snagging them, I never thought of that...

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
I was and same with a friend really into super high altitude flying. We both have the same drone (plane not quadcopter) his has a first person view camera with a really long range. But that altitude flying is very illegal now.

You probably wouldnt believe the altitude these little planes would get to, above the clouds flying 1st person is so cool

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
This is on my bucket list of things to own. Well the powered paraglider, foot launch with propeller on your back, not the trike version.

Reactions: steve_64

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I've got a few of the cheaper $120 small drones. They do stunts like flips and barrel rolls. We have a big open field to play with them in but if they get about 100 yards away they lose signal. Looking to upgrade to the Spark and eventually the Phantom 4 or Mavic Pro. Have a local guy that does the drone walk thru videos for the realtors around town.

Back
Top Bottom