~~Anyone switch from room pricing to sq ft pricing or already charges sq ft?~~

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Extraction....really?

Come on Mardie if that isn't bait and switch I don't know what is.

"Deep Extraction Cleaning Service" sounds like you're selling HWE but you delivering fOaM.

Foamers.jpg

Apparently their is a lot that you do not know.
Would you please tell me why you have listed a false NAME,OCCUPATION,COMPANY NAME, and ADDRESS on your profile page on this board.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I do love the way some reinvent themselves over and over again on the boards..... Hey it is easy $45 first room $25 each additional up to 200 sq ft.

FCC people booking aren't getting instant email responses FIX it bitch... I mean PLEASE

Chris A

Name
Chris
I do love the way some reinvent themselves over and over again on the boards..... Hey it is easy $45 first room $25 each additional up to 200 sq ft.

FCC people booking aren't getting instant email responses FIX it bitch... I mean PLEASE

Yup , we do a first room x then x each additional area and it averages out really well. Pretty much everything counts as an area.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
We've done it it both ways. You'll make more at sf pricing. I wouldn't consider us a multi truck operation yet but we stay pretty busy and keep an average of $1,300 per truck everyday. It's about time you raised your prices ;)

Having higher prices lets you have more money for everything you want to do in business and personal life !

I learned in my first couple years in the biz to hold off on celebrations and expecting that this business will give me a lifestyle better than middle class. Every time I have gotten ahead and felt comfortable I weathered an equipment malfunction or some situation that humbled me and reminded me to be frugal.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Chris A

Name
Chris
I learned in my first couple years in the biz to hold off on celebrations and expecting that this business will give me a lifestyle better than middle class. Every time I have gotten ahead and felt comfortable I weathered an equipment malfunction or some situation that humbled me and reminded me to be frugal.

That time will come. It took a few years to get our neglected business back to the point where I feel fairly comfortable, but I went through the same level of discouragement your feeling and thought it would never get better. And I don't keep let alone gross anywhere near $1300 a day.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads

This might be the most correct statement I've ever read here or on any forum anywhere. Unfortuneatly.:cry:

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
That time will come. It took a few years to get our neglected business back to the point where I feel fairly comfortable, but I went through the same level of discouragement your feeling and thought it would never get better. And I don't keep let alone gross anywhere near $1300 a day.

Anyone bragging about any amount of how much they gross is an idiot. It's what stays in your pocket that counts. I've been a 3 van operation grossing quite a bit more than $1300 daily and I keep more in my pocket now as a one man band doing 2-4 jobs a day than I did then.

Reactions: KevinL

Able 1

Name
Keith
Anyone bragging about any amount of how much they gross is an idiot. It's what stays in your pocket that counts. I've been a 3 van operation grossing quite a bit more than $1300 daily and I keep more in my pocket now as a one man band doing 2-4 jobs a day than I did then.

Was this when you worked for Chemdry? How much did they take of your gross? How much for ads ect?

Name
I'm Rick James
Anyone who believes, without question, anything that is posted about someone's net or gross is an idiot.

For that matter, anyone who bases any business decision based solely on what is posted on a brag post is a fool.

I don't think Ben would lie about his numbers its not his style.

Just to update, I am keeping the per room price because its easier for myself and the consumer. I just raised my prices some more, I don't think its going to matter I already have more work then I can handle and its almost mid January.. so much for a winter break. Plus I have to squeeze in 2 commercial accounts around 10,000 sq ft each next week. Hawaii bound soon I think...

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
I'd think by now you would know I don't lie about any numbers my friend. I compliment you on raising your prices.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Was this when you worked for Chemdry? How much did they take of your gross? How much for ads ect?

Yes, that was when I was a CD. I'm a one man band now - and happier than ever. (Well mostly! :eekk: )

HRI doesn't take any percentage of gross sales. If you see a CD TV or radio commercial it's not from corporate. It would be from a bunch (or a single) of franchises pooling money together. HRI does take a set monthly franchise fee. At the time I think it was like $300. There is no advertising fees or costs taken by corporate. But you have to buy all your cleaning supplies from them. And they don't come cheap. HRI bills itself as a chemical company - not a carpet cleaning company. Kinda weird if you as me but then again THAT"S where they make the big bucks. And you must buy a certain amount per franchise per year. I think it's around $3,000 per franchise per year.

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
I did it several years ago and never looked back! I didn't lose any business (that I know of), and back then, I walked away with an extra $25-$35 back then.

Sure, you'll still get the calls of people wanting estimates over the phone. But, in home estimates are the best! That way, the Customer can meet you, get to know you, and feel comfortable with you in her house. It worked great for us! Even with multi-truck operations.

Usually in the slow Winters, we offer a two or three cleaning areas for a set price. Later, as we started serving larger homes, we put a square foot cap on that special.

Its a great business move! Don't overthink it... if it fits your vision, do it!

Good luck

Hey Shawn

When I started out, I was doing sq. foot pricing (10 years ago) This is my second time in the business and this time I went with room pricing. But, I think I'm going back to Sq ft for the exact reasons you posted. I think it's fairer all around to all parties and I don't want to compete on price, and that seems to be the reason guys use room pricing, to be able to give prices on the phone.

Do you have one set Sq. ft. price for residential? Does your price include furniture moving? Do you measure the entire room or just open areas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I have a set sf price for wall to wall residential. I measure the whole room, then adjust the price for the area I'm cleaning. This way I have the whole room sf'age in my computer should they want the whole room cleaned in the future.
A friend measures and determines the actual cleanable sf then charges his set price. He has to do a lot more calculating

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I have never charged by the room. Always by square foot of cleanable space for 45 years. It is easier to keep the quality up this way. As a result we can charge more than other cleaners and do not have to advertise since all our work is repeat and referral. Maybe do one estimate per month.

Reactions: Mikey P

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
So for a room that has lots of furniture to work around and will take you much longer to clean, you'll charge half the price of cleaning the same empty room, though it will take substantially less time to do?
Makes no sense.

Unless it is a ridiculously small area, I charge for the full size of the room. Empty homes get a 10% discount. True, more space to clean, yet it takes so much less time.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've kept up with all kinds of statistics over the years and I've learned that FOR ME, charging based on the total room size works best. If I'm moving furniture, I charge 10 cents more per sf. I almost always make my hourly target either way.

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian
If I'm moving furniture, I charge 10 cents more per sf. I almost always make my hourly target either way.
If you charge more to move furniture do they expect you to move everything? What if your only moving 1 0r 2 things in a room?

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
So for a room that has lots of furniture to work around and will take you much longer to clean, you'll charge half the price of cleaning the same empty room, though it will take substantially less time to do?
Makes no sense.

Unless it is a ridiculously small area, I charge for the full size of the room. Empty homes get a 10% discount. True, more space to clean, yet it takes so much less time.

Well I don't know how you clean or what you charge, so you could be right. It just seems more honest to me to charge only for what I clean if I am going to charge by the square foot. It seems to average out since some jobs are very good and others less so.

If I were completely fair to everybody, I would charge by the hour.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It is fair to everyone and honest.
Anybody, including yourself, knows that working in a room with plenty of furniture takes much longer than in an empty room.
Same reason we charge more to clean velvet.- It just takes longer.
Same reason that I charge more per linear foot of sofas where all cushions are detachable, compared to the ones where nothing is- It takes longer.
Same reason that I charge more for cleaning the same areas if on the third floor, compared to the ground floor. - It takes longer.

To sum it up: If it takes longer they pay more. If it takes less time, they pay less. And I am upfront about it.
How is that for honesty?

Well I don't know how you clean or what you charge, so you could be right. It just seems more honest to me to charge only for what I clean if I am going to charge by the square foot. It seems to average out since some jobs are very good and others less so.
- In other words: The "very good" ones subsidize the "less so". Doesn't sound that fair to me.

If I were completely fair to everybody, I would charge by the hour.\
- Most people do not feel comfortable paying by the hour. They assume, and may be right with some people, that the person will not work very hard, once paid by the hour. And most cleaners prefer not to bring to their clients' consciousness, exactly how much it is they are making per hour.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom