Anyone use an Eclipse portie

Frank P.

I am considering two portable units the Eclipse 300 PSI w/240 inch water lift & the Recoil 3 w/350 PSI & ? waterlift. I don't care about the extra 50 PSI as much as dependability. If you have real world experience with either unit or another with similar specs please post.

Thanks
Frank P.

Mikey P

Administrator
Ahem...

Haveing owned a Resoil I would strongly recommend looking elsewhere.

While it's performance is as good as a Porty gets, the construction is so piss poor it's laughable..

Keep in mind, my unit was built in 01'. I am sure Ed has mad a few changes for the better since then, but from what I can see in those tiny pictures on the website it's houseing is still the same.

DO NOT do as I did and buy sight unseen.

Ed Hartman

Posted By Scott Fiveland on 8/27/2004 at 7:02:57 PM

would like a portable machine
with alot of suction to clean in security and high rise jobs
looking at
RECOIL-3
ECLIPSE
has anyone used these
and what would you recommend
Thanks

Responses:

RE: portable cleaning: John Geurkink: 8/27/2004 10:47:15 PM
I am not the HWE expert, but I do know Ed Valentine with his ReCoils will give you EXCELLENT service..

RE: portable cleaning: Terry Brevik: 8/28/2004 12:35:04 PM
You could always get a CCS machine
I have heard that they work pretty good.

Not sure but you could ask the guy who makes them. LOL

T

RE: portable cleaning: John Bolton: 8/28/2004 2:25:45 PM
Scott,
I've been building HWE porties since 1965 and am probably the most critical user on the planet.

To supplement my own systems which are all vacuum optimised I wanted a smaller airflow optimised machine.

After some research I bought a Recoil 3HP, which is very much more expensive here in England - but worth every penny.

I can honestly say the this is a product that proves that a machine can be more than the sum of its' component parts. Ed Valentine certainly knows his business !!!

John.

PS Follow the link to read more of my early experiences with this machine.

www.cleaningpros.co.uk/?board=cc_issues ... 1080843636

RE: portable cleaning: FINTAN COLL: 8/29/2004 7:15:39 PM
Idid'nt know you actually bought a Recoil, John. I am buying one very soon myself, just as soon as I can get time to visit Robert Mc Kane and see the machine.

RE: portable cleaning: John Bolton: 8/29/2004 8:17:12 PM
Yes Fintan, The first in Britain after Nigels 230v prototype. Did you read my "Reciol Diary" on Cleaningpros?

RE: portable cleaning: Terry Brevik: 8/29/2004 10:32:56 PM
why not buy one just to find out what's inside
I wonder if Ed is going to buy one of your machines?

T

RE: portable cleaning: Ed Valentine: 8/31/2004 11:18:07 AM
Many sincere THANKS to both Johnny G and John Bolton; both of whom are extremely respected individuals and manufacturers with a terrific, and long reputation in our Industry.
I thank you all.

Good Fortune to Small Businesses world-wide.
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

The only devils advocate post I could find

Brian L

Name
Brian L
If you are going to be bringing the machine up and down stairs, forget about the Recoil. The stair handle feels like it is ready to pull through the tank when just pulling the machine on level ground. Mine was built around the same time as Mike's. To get to the guts of the unit you need to remove 12 bolts, good luck lining them up to go back in the holes. I also purchased the Red Hot Rocket heater to go with it. All it ever did was supply the solution tank with rust. A bucket heater ($50.00) a Red Hot Rocket Heater ($250.00), it's all BB hype.

Most of the guys praising the machine on the red board have never owned or used one, beware.

Ed Hartman

Unless your Brutus The Barber Beefcake, I wouldn't lug any portable up and downs stairs. Forget that. I wanna walk and jog when Im 60

C

Carpet Dude

i'd post on the Re-dumdoil but Ed Slick might make a personal appearance here and dispense them dirty words on me again...so I'll pass.

G

I used the Eclipse for 2 years but was very frustrated in it blowing breakers.
It is a VERY well made machine with lots of vacuum
Don

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Frank;

Dependability would be more dependant on the hi-pressure pump and type of motor driving the pump:

Look for a pump with an efficient capacitor-run AC motor with enough power to deliver over 1.5 Gallons per minute.

Vacuums are more reliable, assuming you are using 3-Stage Hi-perf models for recovery.

Rotomolded body with fairly large wheels for housing durability.

All of the above should operate on two 15-amp circuits.

Larry Cobb

tcul

Dolly has an eclipse and is very happy with it.

She is on this BBS.

TC

Greenie

Why they even make machines that pull more than 14.9 amps per cord, I will never know, just bad engineering.
Besides if you think an 18amp machine performs any better than a 15amp machine in real world, you got money to burn.

Also watch the "claims" about psi, I've yet to see a 500 psi porty pump actually produce 500 psi in real world, focus on the gpm flow rate and amp draw of the pump. Hypro makes an oldie but a goodie.

Stay away from 1.5" hose, and 1.5" plumbing, a portable extractor has just as much reason to run flexible 2" hose as a truck mount does, less restriction more net vacuum 50' from the machine.

This is my opinion, but I believe more users will get more overall benefit in real world use from vacuum motors plumbed in parallel, that is each vacuum motor having it's own "stack" inside the waste tank to draw from, keep in mind most units in the industry are NOT plumbed this way, it's easier and cheaper to run them in series, and this is what you commonly see.

Another thing, these units are sold with cheap wands, tell your distributor to keep that trophy, and get a decent 12" 4 jet with your porty, this is where the rubber hits the road, buy a good one, preferably in an 1.75" or 2.0" vacuum tube, NOT a 1.5"!

Having the jets low to the carpet and at a 30º angle or better will be just as important as the pressure of the pump, make sure it's equipped with 110º jets, (narrower 95º may be prone to streaking) you will probably be happy with the total flow (06) of a set of 110 015 stainless steel jets.

Save your money on heat, there isn't an elec. on board heater in a machine today that will support a decent flow rate, (unless you are cleaning upholstery exclusively) you are better to put that amperage towards stronger vac motors, you've only got 2 - 15amp circuits to work with, make them count.

Mechanical agitation from a rotary floor tools will be more effective than luke warm water from an undersized elec. heater.

There are some 220v stand alone heaters that do work, but you'll be looking for a laundry room.

Consider an inline vacuum booster if you need to run more than 50' or go upstairs or down in a basement in a home with any machine, yes they cost, and yes they make a difference.

And try out the machine before you buy, don't buy over the internet for gawds sake.

Tom Jasunas

If you are referring to the Cleancraft Eclipse, Mine had a vac motor burn out in the first 5 hours and blew a rectifier and relay in the second 5 hours. The auto pump out quit in the third five hours and now I only use it for upholstery work. I have to admit, the company did send repair parts but pulling the tray out and doing it all was no fun. I would not recommend this machine to anyone. It is also very heavy, forget stair with it. Do yourself a favor and get a us products or a ninja, Maybe not as strong but a more reliable machine.
Good luck,
Tom J.

Robert

For my money guys the old castex magnum 1400dv was hard to beat! No longer made now but i used one of these for like 6 years. It had a hypro truck mount style twin piston pump and 2 huge 7.5" vac motors both with a 2" stack.It would do 375 psi reliable and castex rated them at 200 cfm @ 134 inchs of lift. Great machine but very heavy ......never had to go up steps though as i could use 100' of hose.If i where to get another portiable i would prolly look for one of those used most portys made now days look like fisher price built them. That's my 2 cents.
Robert

Name
Lee Stockwell
...with 2.5" hose?

Hey our Banes held 150' of hose from the factory. You always felt guilty whenever you had to hook up that third 50' section...even with extra drying passes.

In Ed's defense he DID invent the booster (the patent is a matter of record) over twenty years ago...why lapsed I don't know. That's the only way it would be even acceptable at those distances.

Greenie

Two 2" stacks in the waste tank, with two 7.2" high lift vac motors is pretty impressive. The trick is 2" hose.

Only problem with the Castex above is it couldn't run on 2 - 15amp circuits, as those motors pull 13 amps a piece.

If you got one 20 amp circuit to work with, no problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom