Associations

Biondom

Supportive Member
Name
Noel McMonster
Hi guys!

We just recently filmed a video of ServiceMonster's CEO, Joe, chatting with a neighboring cleaning and restoration business owner, Doug Broersma, about associations. In the video, Joe makes a point about associations being generally comprised of boomers nowadays, with the younger carpet cleaners preferring not to join. What are your thoughts on associations? With the growth of the internet, are online communities and forums like Mikey's Board filling the needs that associations were originally created to address?

Here's the video:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I think you are partly right Mike. I think that the association model as its been presented for the past 40 years is struggling, but the need for cleaners to "associate" remains strong.

Look how many people get upset when this board is down for upgrades...or when they lose the ability to participate on this board. Would that type of need (addiction?) exist if there wasn't a need for cleaners to share ideas, information, experiences, and more? The success you've had at Mikeyfest, and at the part your gang played at the Experience says that the need for "association" is stronger than ever.

At this point its up to each existing trade association to try to find a way to bring that magic into their model, or to change their model to meet that need.

Mikey P

Administrator
No, I'm right.

Jim is just hoping he can unload those last 3 six packs of Olympia on those four dudes this Wednesday night when they come to hear Lee's talk on "The Internet, is it here to stay and what your competition is doing about it"

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Mickey's Board is good enough for me! Its there when I want/need it.-- no need to waste time on an appointment driving to a meeting with a bunch of guys.---- I'd rather hang with my Gal pals.

Reactions: hogjowl

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Agreed. I get better information on this board than any associations. 90% of customers don't even know what IICRC, etc. stands for or is. We keep the BBB, Chamber of Commerce etc. associations. Everyone on our team is approx. 25 - 29 years old. The guys at Interlink store and our local cleaning supply vendors are pretty knowledgeable, and who is where we go to for information on tips/techniques.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
No question that there are problems in our industry's association structure. Big fish in small ponds, clever people that use the well-meaning ones to amass fortunes, petty bickering, fragmentation caused by those that can see profit from the chaos. If our industry associations are going to be relevant, all of this has to end.

Which is why the IICRCA exists. It's the white-hat group of associations that believe in putting members first. Run by people that are critical of the small-minded money grubbing mind-set, it is the best hope for moving our industry to a more respectable level.

PS: Anyone like Mikeyfest? It was just like a big association meeting, but who needs to go to those things? You could have saved your money and read posts about it.

PPS: Joe, get off my lawn!

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm going to start an association for flip phone users.

All three of us will gather in my garage once a quarter to practice 123abc texting and poke fun of those smart phone rubes.

Reactions: Russ T.

Mikey P

Administrator
How many cleaners showed up at the CFI meeting in Reno two weeks ago?

Their backwoods leaders discouraged turn from going to The Experience where hundreds of vendors and countless classes awaited them.

Instead for the same cost they had to fly a bit further north for a few speakers and maybe a vendor or two.

Who is out for who's best interest here Brian?

Mikey P

Administrator
Jimmy didn't ask for special favors and he is the keynote speaker

I'm dying to see his hands on Lanyard making demonstrations and flip phone quick draw techniques for Nuthigh fashioneestas!!

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Eventually the forums will be able to provide education and testing online.
90% of this stuff can be done online especially for techs. The air duct cleaners have been for about a decade now, lol.

They just need to find a partner because mike or the other guy doesnt have the time to produce 100 page manuals for all these subjects.
So find a partner....

Reactions: KevinL

Mikey P

Administrator
Tony and his uppity staff are to above it all to approach me with the idea.

The IICRC will put on its own show and have its own forum all in due time.

Like 2226

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Tony and his uppity staff are to above it all to approach me with the idea.

The IICRC will put on its own show and have its own forum all in due time.

Like 2226

What about an instructor, distributor, sapphire?

Has to be somebody that could help provide the instructional material.

Mikey P

Administrator
I was approached by one of the IICRCA guys about making MB an association a month or so ago.

They tossed the idea out and than never got back to me.

but yes, all it would take is a like you said, an existing instructor to grab this group by the horns and run with it.

The possibilities are endless when it comes to Fred.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I would disagree. Sitting a room with a group of other owners will never be replaced by an online Q&A.
You can not replace face to face networking with a online experience.

I enjoy what I get from the boards but it is not the same as a gathering like MF or other industry gatherings.

I also want to be able to verify who I am taking advice from.

You can not do that on a bulletin board or Facebook page.

Reactions: Brian H

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I was approached by one of the IICRCA guys about making MB an association a month or so ago.
They tossed the idea out and than never got back to me.

I immediately got back to the person that approached me with the idea. My understanding was that the idea was for Mikeysboard to join the IICRCA as a member association. Like the real associations with bylaws (meaning you operate "by law" in accordance with IRS and other legal mandates) and have member-elected directors and that are owned by their members.

We can't pretend Mikeysboard is an association. I love ya big guy, think you've done some great things for the industry, and would love to have your input with the IICRCA, but Mikeysboard is owned by you, for your profit.

Not your fault that you think Mikeysboard could be considered an association, since you've been hanging around with guys that profit from the organizations they run. No matter how much they squint their eyes and try to pretend that it's OK if there's something in it for them, something in it for them is illegal in the trade association world. Pretending a for-profit is a non-profit, or taking a profit from a non-profit, equals prison time if the IRS ever takes the time to investigate.

We want to be inclusive though, and there are lots of ways for individuals to participate. Join the local association. Make it better. Show up as a rep. Or, get directly on an IICRCA committee.
Just a heads-up, there's no pay. That would be illegal.

Mikey P

Administrator
Lol...
What a joke.

Back up three months and you'd been singing a whole different song.

Now I see what Tony's phony avatar tantrum was all about.

Reactions: FredC
Name
Lee Stockwell
The physical board is only a vehicle...the community here uses it for our benefit and pleasure.

In other words, the PEOPLE here are the potential association. We are not here for money nor are we owned (or owed) by the owners of the BB.

Are you afraid of us?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom