Associations

Mikey P

Administrator
Brian, I can't tell how much better this would have went over with a phone call.

What a shame.

But no surprise after the way I was treated by your fellow non profit cronies in Reno.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Bryan there's a lot of bureaucratic smoke in that post.

We, the participants on Mikey'sboard, ARE an association, it the English language definition of such.

The "IRS" has little to nothing to do with it, other than we individually pay our taxes. If we choose, we can contribute to the operation of this board. Mike works his butt off to make it an attractive destination for us. He pays taxes too.

This is an association because...we ASSOCIATE here, and have for EIGHT years, in ever increasing numbers.

Mikey P

Administrator
No worries Lee.

The cleaners both on and off MB are being punished because Larry Cooper gave me a lousy $1500 to improve the biggest industry event this year.

Which I paid taxes on.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I would disagree. Sitting a room with a group of other owners will never be replaced by an online Q&A.
You can not replace face to face networking with a online experience.- True

I enjoy what I get from the boards but it is not the same as a gathering like MF or other industry gatherings.

I also want to be able to verify who I am taking advice from. You can not do that on a bulletin board or Facebook page.- If you're referring to making sure that you get good advise, yes you can. If you pay attention.

I am not clear about what the debate is all about. Unless this perspective comes from a financially interested party, as far as I am concerned the associations and or the boards need not be in conflict with each other.

There's no need for one, do it all source of info, camaraderie etc. actually, the more the better. It will balance things, which is a positive as far as I am concerned.

And as always, understanding where your advise and info comes from, is an essential part of business (and personal) intelligence.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The physical board is only a vehicle...the community here uses it for our benefit and pleasure.

In other words, the PEOPLE here are the potential association. We are not here for money nor are we owned (or owed) by the owners of the BB.

Are you afraid of us?

Afraid of Mikeysboarders? I am one.

Not afraid that MB will kill off my association, and my association has no interest in competing with MB. If the IICRCA starts a message board (I've always advised organizations to think twice about it - too much work.) I'm sure it will appeal to some and not others. There's nothing that says people can't join an association and still associate here, or read more than one BB. My company belongs to a dozen organizations, I'm active in a couple of them, and I'm still here.

Likewise, the IICRCA conference and tradeshow won't kill off Mikeyfest. They'll be different, appeal to different people, or maybe some of the same people will attend both.

The people here ARE associates, and could form a legal association. Just like I don't advise an association to run a BB, I wouldn't advise anyone set up a legal assocation - too much work. Not being a legal association doesn't mean we can't work with Mikey, or the group, the group as it exists just can't be a member of the council.

Mikey P

Administrator
So besides making MB an association, Joe wanted me on board to advise on social media and the Internet in general.

That was shot down because I make money off the industry?

So does Joe.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Bryan there's a lot of bureaucratic smoke in that post.

We, the participants on Mikey'sboard, ARE an association, it the English language definition of such.

The "IRS" has little to nothing to do with it, other than we individually pay our taxes. If we choose, we can contribute to the operation of this board. Mike works his butt off to make it an attractive destination for us. He pays taxes too.

This is an association because...we ASSOCIATE here, and have for EIGHT years, in ever increasing numbers.

Nothing wrong with Mike making money here, or making money for his work at The Experience. I think it was a smart move to get Mike involved, the improvement in the event is proof that he did some good.

The legalities of the non-profit world aren't smoke though. They're real, and only ignored by people that think they can squint real hard and ignore the law to suit what they feel like doing. It takes longer to get where you're going by doing the speed limit, but if you choose to break the law and go faster, you don't get to proclaim that you can't be ticketed. You can only hope you don't get caught.
I'll never forget the meeting between Connections Executive Board members and a well-known association expert that was brought in to give them some advice. He told them that the IRS wouldn't accept "I didn't know" as an excuse, and from what he could see they were in for some bankruptcy-causing penalties. He went on to say that illegal activities are not covered by Director's insurance, so they would be personally liable for paying the fines. He said the Treasurer was most likely to go to prison. The only people that would skate were the managers of the event, as they can say they were just employees doing what they were told to do. Connections had to be dissolved because it was the only way to end the collective liability caused by the squinters.

We're going to stay away from anything remotely questionable. I can only hope that not too many people will take offense.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
So besides making MB an association, Joe wanted me on board to advise on social media and the Internet in general.
That was shot down because I make money off the industry?
So does Joe.
Making money off of the industry is a disqualifier? We have industry suppliers working on all kinds of things.

I do owe you a call. Sounds like some second-party miscommunication.

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
Mike! You are killing me. I sent you a few emails with a question or two. Also knew you were very busy with the experience.

RE: The Marketing and Technology Committee has not yet met to vet external help. Dude, patience with these guys. I think having you on the Committee could be good for everyone but if you don't want to play in their pool that's cool too.

Mikey's Board for consideration as a IICRCA affiliate: First; ServiceMonster IS NOT directly benefiting in any way form me being on the board. I was toying with "online groups" as a type of "Association". They would have to be class-ed based on their tax status. I think that ignoring online groups of like minded professionals is a bad idea. They both have their place. Unless I'm wrong about "Professional" and "online" working together... Perhaps it's too soon?

You have to give me time to shift the culture first.

Mikey P

Administrator
"RE: The Marketing and Technology Committee has not yet met to vet external help"

I'm not remotely interested in joining this group if Dixie Cups and string is how they communicate.

I'm a do-er not a delagater or diliberater Joe.

I didn't imply that you were profiting off of sitting on the the board. I said you make money mining the miners like I do.

No worries tbough.
I prefer to deal with monarchies.

Far less bullshit to deal with.

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
Non Profit can also mean:

1. Someone stole the profit
2. Someone wasted the profit
3. There was no profit to waste or steal

Mikey P

Administrator
Tell me again, "why non-profit"...is it somehow the holy grail of associations?

no kidding.

maybe if they paid you poor schmucks , you'd finally get something done over there.

When I hear that term Non Profit, the very 1st thing I think is "Who is getting rich or free trips to Barbados out of this"..

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
When I hear that term Non Profit, the very 1st thing I think is "Who is getting rich or free trips to Barbados out of this"..
Yep, exactly the way some organizations run.

Non-profit and tax exempt require clean livin'

Not for profit or non profit without tax exempt status means the organization can be a wholly-owned front for a person or group that wishes to pocket the income. Like Bono's One Foundation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom