Average Prices

ChuckR

What are the average prices to charge for cleaning carpet,tile floors,stripping and waxing, things like that . Do you have a minimum charge? I am just getting into the business and still trying to figure all this out.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm sure there will be some good businessmen along in a minute to tell you it doesn't matter what others are charging, what matters is that you know your cost of doing business (that includes your salary) then add to that what ever profit percentage you want to make, and that's how you arrive at what to charge.

But I suck suck as a businessman and will answer your question

"What are the average prices"

Guess that depends on where you live and what the "average" price in your neighborhood is.

For carpet, I suspect it's like most places and runs anywhere from .07sf to .50+ sf.
Or by the room, anywhere from $15 a rm to $100+ a rm.
most owner/op outfits are somewhere in the middle of those two figures.

Personally, I could never get what I wanted to make on strip & wax tile.
So we do very little of it and it's almost a lose leader for us so we can get the carpet cleaning

..L.T.A.

G

It depends on how hungry you are? If you have plenty of cash you can wait around for "that customer" and make $400 an hour. Very few of them around. You might have 1 to 10 of those kind of jobs a year, more if you're lucky.

If you're hungry...you'd probably clean a 2 or 3 rooms for $50 or $60 bucks.

On the boards the "rule of thumb" seems to be $100 per hour while the truck is running, provided that you're running a TM. Your best bet is to know what you have to make to earn a nice living and your cost of doing business. It's not so much what everyone else is charging, but what you need to charge.

From what I see, the SS, CD, SM's and other multi-truck operations of the world do well charging what they charge.

Keep in mind that in most parts of the country there's alot more homes under $300,000 than over. Price accordingly and take your piece of the pie. Depending on the market you tap into the piece of pie maybe bigger, but there are more companies to share with.

Scott Rogers

You really need to figure out what your cost to do business is going to be before you can accurately guess on what to charge.

What is you r back ground? Have you ever cleaned carpet before? Ever run a business? Are you properly trained? Do you already have your equipment? Who is your target customer? How do you plan on getting those customers?

You will get alot of good advise if we know more about your situation. Arbitrary pricing will not help much. If you charge 25 a room because it seems to be average but it cost you 20 bucks or more a room to do the work it wouldnt really be worth it.

Hope to hear more about you here.

Best of luck

ChuckR

I don't have any background in carpet cleaning.I was working for a friend while I was laid off from work, he owns a chain of 6 restaurants he was having trouble with his cleaners. I asked him all about it, he told me if I get the equipment I could do the work. I have looked at all kinds of TM machines and the different wands and rotary cleaners I think I have my mind made up on which ones I am getting. The doctor my wife works for has 7 offices they get done every 2-3 months he also told my wife I could do them also. As far as training I have none I have signed up for the iicrc carpet cleaning tech course. I have ordered A few Cd's on cleaning. I am looking at the first of march to get started I started A LLC, shopping around for insurance things like that.

Scott Rogers

I would try and ride along with another cleaner who is close enough to you but far enough not to be a competitor. You will learn more in a week on the truck then you will every learn in a class room. The class room is important too though but hands on will be more beneficial.

I would do some hands on before you invest even 1 dollar. Make sure you enjoy the work before you throw any money away.

Crunch the numbers too. what will all your equipment cost you? Insurance. Adds. Phones, uniforms, supplies,etc. how much do you want to make? add it all up divide it to weeks and figure out how many jobs you will need to do and at what average cost. then research to see if you area can support that. you can look at adds of your competitors to see if their numbers are some what close.

GRHeacock

I agree- do a ride along first- you may hate the business, or be allergic to chemicals, etc.

After that, you must look for the most important thing- profit.

No matter what you generate per hour, what is left after expenses called the profit is what you must have to stay in business.

keep track of hours doing the work, and income and expenses to figure out the profit.

Then, depending on what profit you want to make overall, you have to figure out what to charge.

Gary

Greenie

A little red flag:

"I have looked at all kinds of TM machines and the different wands and rotary cleaners I think I have my mind made up on which ones I am getting"

If you don't have experience, how do you have your eye on a particular piece of equipment?

Here is one idea, it's just an idea, you can let blow on by if ya want.

How about look around you area for an experienced cleaner, maybe even outside your area as long as it's not too far, and hire him to clean your jobs that you can line up this winter, lots of guys could use a little extra work in the winter, and for a split of the money it could be good for everyone, just make sure he understands you are subcontracting him, I'm sure the right fellow will be more than willing to share some experience.

I'd be willing to bet after a dozen jobs you'll have a better feel for the equipment, I heard Restaurant, so that means some heat would be one consideration, as well as a Truck mounted unit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom