BAD NEWS........But is is there an oppertunity here?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
The head mechanic at my Disty.....Packed up his tools.
Great guy... Just had enough of the Corperate BS........
14 years of dedicated service & walks away with nothing.

This man is honest & very dependable...AND A HELL-OF-A-MECHANIC....

I have an idea that I would like the boards input on........

The concept is pretty simple: MOBILE TRUCKMOUNT REPAIR....

I had my web-guy do a quick HOME PAGE for a site...

Please take a look....Any FEED-BACK would be helpful.......

WOULD YOU USE THIS SERVICE???? http://www.harperscarpetcleaning.com/mtmr/

Name
BradFenstermaker
Joe I think there would be opportunity with those that don't service/repair themselves.

Mine gets fixed by me because the closest shop is two hrs away. My labor is affordable too.

A guy tried putting flyers on every truck he could find but I doubt he made it. Scratch note on mine seat when I finished a job.

Called the fellar asked to please call don't be in mine van while it's running.

How many neighboring cities could you get to quickly, think the more cleaners the better.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Brad,

We have a situation where all disty's are about 50 miles away....

Waste almost a full day in drive time & $85.00 a hour for labor.
Hourly services are one thing...But down time & waiting for parts are brutal.
Distys are more interested in new installs...than servicing existing customers..

It would be so much more productive for my company to have service & repairs
done on-site...(after hours or weekends)...

Most of our equipment is new & would void warranty if not serviced by a certified tech.

The savings would be substaintial in (break-down situation) where a factory part was required.

I would gladly pay a $100.00 service call to have that truck repaired on-site...just to
be able to finish the day.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Just a MOCK web page.....

I am sure he is color blind :wink:

RIDDLE ME THIS..........How long before you move your DYNASTY to FL.
CA. Taxes are going to be OFF THE CHART......................................

C

Chris Sheldon

I used to service truckmounts at my customers' location, but I found working from a shop is much more efficient and profitable.

If he does it right and charges enough for his service and keeps a good stock of parts on his truck, he should be able to do ok.

-Chris

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Chris , thanks for your input.

In this new economy, the deals on used equipment are really CHEAP....
I am amazed at the prices on units for sale with less than 500 hrs.....

I would think that someone would pay a pretty good fee just to have a good
mechanic to inspect the used equipment prior to purchase?

This concept is obviously a way limit the initail capital investment.....

Did you operate on a fixed hourly rate or per quote basis?
Did you focus on owner operators or multi-truck operations?
Did you offer hourly maintaince packages ?
Did you stock parts or just pick-up as required ?
Did you offer Emergency service calls or after hour service ?

It has been my experiance that this man can diaganose 95% of the problem
over the phone. So stocking of most parts is not going to be an issue.
In emergency situations....He can usually by-pass the problem..and get you up-& running.

The purpose of the venture is to simply replace this mans lost salary.
It dosen't seem to me that he would need to many cleint's to achieve his goals.
If he is sucessful.......... then a building is a must.

C

Chris Sheldon

Joe,

Did you operate on a fixed hourly rate or per quote basis? I charged an hourly rate. Tell him to not try to be a "bargain" because people were paying his employers' shop rate, so if he charges whatever that rate was/is then it is something his customers are used to. Basically his employer was charging for HIS expertise, since it doesn't take alot of special tools/equipment to repair TM's. Also he HAS to establish a 1 hour minimum and stick to it, even if he fixes a problem in 20 minutes; as long as he makes it clear to his customers that he charges for a minimum of an hour, he shouldn't have a problem.

Did you focus on owner operators or multi-truck operations? I didn't distinguish between the two; multi-truck companies were nice because they would usually have me out for scheduled maintenance becuase the owner's would not do oil changes, etc on their own; unlike alot of owner/operators. As long as they paid, I did not care if they had 1 or 10 units. Tell him to not be afraid to "fire" a customer if they are continually slow to pay.

Did you offer hourly maintaince packages ? Yes, I had some set-pricing for different services. But be careful here, because as you know, an "easy" repair or maintenance on a TM can become a nightmare! ha ha

Did you stock parts or just pick-up as required ? I did stock some things like plugs, filters, and the normal wear parts on a TM i.e., belts, solenoids, brass fittings, etc. If he maintained a good relationship with his employer, maybe he can still buy parts there with a discount. I never carried expensive parts and customers understand if you have to order them. Also, tell him to not be afraid of marking up the parts at least 30%. You can leave alot of money on the table over the course of a year by not marking up parts.

Did you offer Emergency service calls or after hour service? Absolutely! Make sure he charges more than his usual hourly rate for night/weekend service calls. He HAS TO REALIZE, just like a carpet cleaner, that his time is very valuable and he has a skill set, tools, etc, that is not very common and he should charge accordingly.

One thing that helped me in those days was that I arranged to be able to use a forklift at my firends business, so I could install TM's and also swap them out if a customer bought a new van. Also, tell him to hit up some small distributor's if there are any in the area that may not be big enough to pay a mechanic; he can do installs for them, warranty work and service work. He will have to share the Labor Rate, but it can be a great resource for jobs for him.

I am not an expert business man, but these are just some things that I learned along the way! Feel free to call me if you or your mechanic need any help! 505.934.1527.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
THANK YOU !!!! Chris,

Your post was exactly the info I needed to confirm here....

I will capialize this venture initially until he gets on his feet.
Your business modle is identical to what I proposed to him.
I have a forklift & shop he can use for installs....

Again. I thank you for your input :!:

I would really like for him to speak with you to ease some of his concerns...

C

Chris Sheldon

Well he is a lucky man to have a friend like you Joe! Just don't get butt-hurt when he gets very busy and you have to wait for service! ha ha!

Hey Harp,

here's my take.

first, it's a good idea

now some nitpicking, okay?

the white letters on tan background hard to read.

good idea listing what units the mech. is certified to work on.

don't put ," and many more." list em out.

I'll look to see if my unit is in there

"and many more is weak sauce"

it's like saying. "and much more when you have nothing more to say or list but want to make the impression you're the real deal

in the back of every cleaner is the question, "yeah, okay, how much?"

spit it out dude.

our min. service charge is blank.

put it right out in front cuz that's the #1 reason the dudes won't call. I'm sure it too expensive.

here's an example for you.

went to my vendor.

he said to move the reel back a few inches, remount the solution line on the floor with a live feed reel was $800+ bucks.

went to a smaller shop. he said, you don't need the live feed. just a stand for this existing reel. I buy the stand and the cost is one half hour of time for $45.00. out the door.

guess who I'm going to.

if you can give examples like this, then your mech. will be so buy he'll have to add a fleet.

best wed. ever!

your pal,

f.c.

visit my blog, "the carpet cleaner's crocodile"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom