"Bait & Switch"?....., or..........

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
We all know what "Bait & Switch" means in this Industry because it is defined as hidden, and additional charges beyond the low cost quotation up front. And, of course, we view these people as non-professionals and rightly so.

However, is there any difference in the Airline business in regards to Bait & Switch?

Just got back from a business trip out of town. After purchasing our (low cost) ticket, there was an automatic charge listed as "miscellaneous" charges of an extra $50.00. Then, if you would like to get seated aboard 10 minutes earlier, add another $20 bucks. Then arriving at the airport, they slap you with another additional charge of $30 bucks for your luggage.

And, oh, btw, ice cubes and a small bag of peanuts were extra too!!!!:hopeless:

best to all;
Ed Valentine

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I find that Bait & Switch is almost everywhere. News paper car adds are probably one of the worst. The last time I responded to one of these super adds it was for a 19k dodge caravan that showed all the bells and whistles. I ended up paying 34k :hopeless: I confronted them on it and they told me that it was just a picture and that they could not sell the van in that add for the 19k that was listed but they do have a 19 k caravan.:bullshit: I thought about taking them to court and stick it to them but I guess I am just like so many other people and have just become complacement with stuff like this because it is so common.:oldrolleyes:

Note: I studied this add and found their was no indication that the van shown was not the van being advertised.:bullshit:

When it is time to pay I get asked quite often if it is the price on the quote as if they expect that their will be extra charges.

I think that in a service industry that it is crucial give a solid price with an agreement and clear understanding and then stick to it no matter what.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with you guys bait & switch is everywhere but whom is more at blame, those offering it or.........those buying it?

When I find myself involved in a "good deal" I have to question myself why I bought into it again. I sell telling everyone "you get what you pay for", yet I get caught thinking I can get a better "deal".

What a dumbass.............you guys are!

OK...ok....me too! :redface:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I agree with you guys bait & switch is everywhere but whom is more at blame, those offering it or.........those buying it?

When I find myself involved in a "good deal" I have to question myself why I bought into it again. I sell telling everyone "you get what you pay for", yet I get caught thinking I can get a better "deal".

What a dumbass.............you guys are!

OK...ok....me too! :redface:

Agreed Kinda wish their was a way to make all people to stand up and put a stop to this predatory marketing BUT that will never happen.

However I do believe that honest marketing does have its rewards.

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
How much of your air travel cost was bait and switch and how much of it was you not taking the time to understand the policies of the airline you were flying with?

I ask because when I flew out to MF9 there were several people who purchased their tickets online claiming the same thing (B&S) at the Spirit Airlines counter. A couple had much higher baggage charges due to size, weight, and not prepaying. My experience, on the other hand, was smooth and there were no extra charges. I took the time to understand the policies so I dropped my prepaid bags, boarded the plane with my properly sized free personal bag (no carry on), and sat my ass in my big comfy seat with no surprises.

I like the airlines a la carte (did greg trademark that yet?) pricing..............

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree Fred, if I can save money picking up my prepacked lunch or skip the lunch I'm good with that. I hate to think how much it's costing me to get a soda handed to me by a stewardess.

I can go without or drink prior to a flight......if I'm flying.....I'm drinking.....heavy........2-beers. :p

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Actually science behind some of this, we experience pleasure from the act of buying. Our brains become flooded with chemicals that make us feel good when we buy something, same as drugs...

Yes con men exist but most marketers are just giving people what they want, more opportunities to buy. Some if not most of the fortune 500 are now hiring neuro-scientists that research what choices to give, how many and at what point in the process.

Same as giving away something for FREE, people can't stop themselves it makes us feel good to receive something for free.
Don't bother trying to think rationally about this stuff, we rarely make logical decisions when it comes to money.

The only difference is we all like to buy different things, some love cars, some home improvement, technology, etc.

Mikey P

Administrator
I think Lockheart needs to spend money just so his body can perform normal functions like sleeping, defecating, digestion, epidermis reproduction, hair growth and if I were not having to meet his wife next week I'd keep going...

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Why all the hate , I am just trying to get this Economy going again, dollar by dollar.

Had a guy show up yesterday to buy some equipment and payed in all $20 bills, my wife walks in and asks how much drugs I sold to get all those $20 bills. It was bigger than a brick!

You see I sell stuff not just buy it all the time.

Also had this shady restoration company from up north send a guy to pick up some axial air movers but that company is so cheap they sent a deposit and picked up the fans but didn't pay and just took off with the equipment, but that is what I get for dealing with shady people from kansas. I think the owners of the company are Mexicans, so I wrote the instructions on how to turn fans on is Spanish. :) GOOD RIDDANCE!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Also had this shady restoration company from up north send a guy to pick up some axial air movers but that company is so cheap they sent a deposit and picked up the fans but didn't pay and just took off with the equipment, but that is what I get for dealing with shady people from kansas. I think the owners of the company are Mexicans, so I wrote the instructions on how to turn fans on is Spanish. :) GOOD RIDDANCE!
LOL

I got what I wanted! Go feed your habit and find me a Rover. BLUE!

2013-08-26_13-45-34_652_zpsfb64da4e.jpg

Oh and Sprinters are UUU-G-L-Y! :smile:

I have trouble with English, let alone Spanish.

I had two years of HS Spanish and barely...barely passed the second year with a D-. :eekk:

Last edited by a moderator:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
No both bait and switch methods are the same.

You get on the plane, if you are thirsty your buy a $8 drink and (spirit) pay 36 for your carry on .

When a resi customer schedules us we arrive at the house and the furniture is moved out of the way and they have scheduled that day or part of that day around us. So they make a choice to pay the up charge and get it clean or try to find another cleaner for that day. Most just get frustrated and pay but that company leaves a bad taste In their mouths and probably won't be used again.

We charge for the whole deal -inspect, vacuum, prespray, prescrubb, hwe, groom, speed dry. We are not targeting residential and, as of right now don't feel the need or want to do gold silver bronze packages. That way we no bait and switch possibilities in our model. That being said they can add upholstery, protector, tile&grout. Just not charge more than was quoted at the time of scheduling assuming dimensions were true.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Yes you can find the fees if you look for them and the same if tour customer asks if the 3 bedrooms and a hallway for 49 dollars. Do they really think that they can get the house done for 49 dollars instead of 300 they paid last time.

FredC

Village Idiot
look for them? Maybe the menu but the seats/baggage are options explained/selected during booking process.......at least when booking through spirit.

View attachment 2829

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom