Best chem or method to wash walls to help remove cigarette odors

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We had a solution line burst in a heavy smoker's home once many years ago and we accidentally sprayed down the walls with Chemspec Formula 90. The yellow nicotine ran down the walls and made you sick looking at all that gook knowing that same stuff ends up in smoker's lungs.

We just took a bucket of the cleaning solution with a rag and wiped down the walls. Cleaned right up!

Reactions: Mikey P

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
ICWC ceiling and wall cleaning solution. Sprayed on using an 9501 or 95015 at 35 to 50 psi lower psi is better so the solution doesn't bounce off the wall. Two light coats is better than one heavy one, start spraying from the bottom up. (If you start at the top and the solution runs it will leave streaks). If the surface is non-porous you will need to wipe off. If the surface is porous you can spray it on, a couple of applications maybe necessary. If you are spraying it on an acoustical, texture coating do not overwet the texture will fall off. If you are needing to wipe it off having two people is advantagous one to wring the sponge the other wiping the wall. Tom from Modernistic has a similar solution called RENEW

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We like an oxidizer (for staining) with detergent, like in our PowerMax.

It goes easier with one of these, which even Richard probably has seen:

fixi-clamp.jpg

Last edited:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Never used Prochem Ultrapac, but if Richard says it is good...

I have used Flex with Citrasov to good effect. We keep it simple; as Andy says, spray from down to up. I use a soft automotive brush on a pole to agitate, then respray and use a flat mop instead of a sponge to wipe. Rinse and repeat.

When it runs down, use a 4” tile head to get the edges of the floor.

End with a good application of Odorcide, Saigers Cide or similar.

Love the Old Spice idea, lol! I’ve fogged Saigers Cide into the return plenum with the fan on. Works pretty well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Odorcide Mike

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
I get headaches from using products with butyl, that is why I like the product that I use. It is an enzyme product with a peroxide activator.

Yeah, but those jobs gives me a real bad headache afterwards

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
The product called absolute? How much you charge per sqft

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If you plan on doing more of them, I'd get an ozone machine. Not only is it an additional source of revenue but many times it is the only effective process for smoke/nicotine odor removal.

Get a gallon of Renovate too! :winky:

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
How you go about charging for this? I charged about .60 per sqft.. but i am darn slow apparently after watching @Andy video...

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
SPIC & Span?
You know what we call that in our company?

Honkydust!

By the way, there is a powdered product called “Soilex” which cleans better than TSP and does not require rinsing. Great prep for painting, presumably would work for a smoker’s house.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
@Derrick T. Yes we used absolute solution. 2 people, one rinsing the sponges one wiping the walls. An average bedroom doing ceiling and walls takes about an hour.
At your rates with a bedroom 12x12 you would make about $300.00. I charge for the sq ft of the walls and ceiling not just the sq ft of the room. 12x4x8(h)plus the 144 sq ft for the ceiling @.20.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom