Best way to build a website and set up marketing tools?

jeremy parr

Name
Jeremy Parr
Need to step up my game , build a website and set up marketing tools but I don’t know anything about it, anybody got any tips/recommendations or reference to someone in my area that could help? I’m an owner operator with no employees here in Orange County, CA

Reactions: darriusb

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Check out Go Daddy.com. I just built a new website in about 15 minutes with them. Easy to use without a lot of computer speak. They walk you through everything. My other website is with Hostmonster. Hard to use, very complicated and hard to edit. I am paying a tech lady to help me out with some fine points and tweaking. $50 per hour, paid her $200 and have already made over $1000 from new customers accessing that website. Register with Google and Google maps and do some posting on your Google page.

Ronnie

Name
Ronnie
Used it a few years ago. We have been using HouscallPro for a year or so but would like to really see a side by side comparison of features and benefits of the two. HCP was almost half the price of SM but if you want all its features you have to upgrade to a package that is more costly than SM. Not looking for the cheapest, but don't want to pay more for less, so to speak.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
house call is really nice software.. I feel service monster is years behind them. If you have an office person then SM is okay, but overall much less features and not nearly as user friendly.

make sure what ever website you get that its a wordpress site. I made the mistake about 5 years ago going with a DIY wix website, when I was ready to really start putting money into SEO the website was useless and had to start all over again.

steve_64

I hired BizIQ to do mine. They also do all the stuff to keep at the top in the listings.
They always call and email me to update me and try to get me to add videos and pics and stuff.
I'm really happy with them.

jeremy parr

Name
Jeremy Parr
Man, I love Mikey’s Board, all these great tips! I’m an owner operator so the least amount of complications as possible is best for me, don’t really need schedule software cause I schedule my own jobs and plan my own routes. I’m meeting someone from DexYp on Friday, guess I’ll hold off on building my own site till then.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
make sure what ever website you get that its a wordpress site. I made the mistake about 5 years ago going with a DIY wix website, when I was ready to really start putting money into SEO the website was useless and had to start all over again.

Common misconception. Wordpress is a great platform but there are DIY websites build on wix and weebly that rank high all day long. There are over 200 factors that go into ranking, platform choice is really a matter of what is most user friendly for you(or someone else) to maintain or to easily add functionality at a budget friendly price point.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Common misconception. Wordpress is a great platform but there are DIY websites build on wix and weebly that rank high all day long. There are over 200 factors that go into ranking, platform choice is really a matter of what is most user friendly for you(or someone else) to maintain or to easily add functionality at a budget friendly price point.
I think it matters who is hosting your website. I have 2 websites, both wordpress. One is hosted by Hostmonster and is very difficult to self edit and the other is hosted by Go Daddy and is very simple to operate.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
:headscratch:

They should operate the same unless it is the design/theme framework issue.
It's just that with Hostmonster, the dash board is very complicated with a lot of computer speak. Makes me afraid to touch anything in case I screw it up. The Go Daddy web builder and seo information is very simply laid out so that even Luddites like me can understand it.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
It's just that with Hostmonster, the dash board is very complicated with a lot of computer speak. Makes me afraid to touch anything in case I screw it up. The Go Daddy web builder and seo information is very simply laid out so that even Luddites like me can understand it.

If they're Wordpress then why aren't you just editing from the Wordpress dashboard? No need to go through your hosting account to do it. Unless you have Wordpress hosting with Godaddy then you access the WP dashboard from there. You can bypass that by creating another admin user or getting the info from Godaddy and logging in from http://www.your-domain.com/wp-login.php
:headscratch:

They should operate the same unless it is the design/theme framework issue.

Agree with Fred, sounds more like you're running two separate Wordpress themes. Some are more user friendly than others.

FredC

Village Idiot
The other difference is with go Daddy, it is already formatted for mobile use whereas with hostmonster, I can't make it mobile friendly without redoing it. My original site is www.carpetcleaningburnaby.com and the new one is www.carpetcleaningnewwestminster.com
The difference is just the theme. The Templatic Ibusiness 1.3 theme on the old site is not responsive (newer versions are) while the newer site theme is.

It is true you would have to "redo" it to make it mobile friendly but switching the theme to a responsive one and moving the content around wouldn't be difficult.

jeremy parr

Name
Jeremy Parr
In my case you’re talking about someone that doesn’t even keep anything on a computer, I still have everything thing on paper in files! I book all my jobs in a big appointment book and I haaate email!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The difference is just the theme. The Templatic Ibusiness 1.3 theme on the old site is not responsive (newer versions are) while the newer site theme is.

It is true you would have to "redo" it to make it mobile friendly but switching the theme to a responsive one and moving the content around wouldn't be difficult.
I'll have my tech lady look at it. I am thinking of switching it to go Daddy as well. Price is about the same.

FredC

Village Idiot
I'll have my tech lady look at it. I am thinking of switching it to go Daddy as well. Price is about the same.
Just to be clear if you were to build a WP site on HostMonster today it would likely be responsive since almost all themes these days are responsive including the defaults> Responsive design didn't exist when your site was made if that copyright is correct.

but...there is no reason to have your sites spread across multiple hosting accounts. If you find godaddy more intuitive move your other sites to that account...or just redirect the domains if there is no strategy in having multiple sites

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Just to be clear if you were to build a WP site on HostMonster today it would likely be responsive since almost all themes these days are responsive including the defaults

but...there is no reason to have your sites spread across multiple hosting accounts. If you find godaddy more intuitive move your other sites to that account...or just redirect the domains if there is no strategy in having multiple sites
Thanks Fred, I always value your input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom