Best Way To Dust Rugs?

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by Rug_Girl, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Rug_Girl
    Rug_Girl

Name:
    Alyssa Tillett
    Currently our rug cleaning techs vacuum and hand beat/dust rugs. We are looking for a more efficiant way to thouroghly dust the rugs without spending thousands of dollars. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  2. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    Please define "thousands"...
  3. Acp
    Acp

Name:
    Bjorn Marshall
    You can mod a sanitaire sc99 for rug dusting... ive heard it works pretty well compared to a rug badger but I have never used one personally.
    Bob Pruitt likes this.
  4. scottw
    scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
    Scott Warrington
    "Efficient" usually means you can do a large volume of rugs in a short period of time. Expect to pay for efficiency if you have the volume of business to justify.

The Sanitaire works OK but not very fast.

A rug dusting machine (Badger, Wolverine or an Orbitec Rug Duster) will do a better job than the Sanitaire and do the work faster or more efficiently.

A tumble duster makes very good use of your time (or your tech's time) but will cost a lot. Not all rugs are suitable for tumble dusting. Tom Monahan has them for sale. We will be selling tumble duster at our rug washing class in Austin in May. A good bargain, but still in the "thousands range."
    The Great Oz likes this.
  5. Ron K
    Ron K

You are beating the Back?
  6. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    I find a pile lifter works better than a regular vacuum. I usually vacuum the back first, then flip the carpet up by half. Vacuum the floor underneath both halves then turn the rug over and vacuum the face fibre.
  7. Sierra Clean Care
    Sierra Clean Care

Name:
    Jeff T
    Where did you get your pile lifter Ron? @Cleanworks
    I’m in the market for one.
    Jeff @ SCC
  8. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    I have had a certified pile lifter for so long, I forgot where it came from. Last year, I bought a chemspec pile lifter from a guy in North van. $75 and it was in pristine shape. I like the chemspec because of the solid tank and the handle control that lowers the handle height. Both work good. There may be another one still on cl. Type in industrial vacuum and see what comes up.
  9. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Actually it's under commercial vacuums. $75. I think it's the same guy I bought mine from.
  10. Ron K
    Ron K

Sanitare is best economical option although labor intensive really beats the rug you can attach two together to increase time spent.
    Hanging rugs should be carefully beat from the Front.
    I use a pile lifter after washing and final beating is completed.
    Bob Pruitt, Cleanworks and Mikey P like this.
  11. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Anyone of a reliable supplier of bags for either certified or chemspec pile lifters in the Vancouver area? I am down to my last chemspec and maybe half a dozen certified. I used to get them from a vacuum store but they have closed down.
  12. Sierra Clean Care
    Sierra Clean Care

Name:
    Jeff T
    I contacted the guy, and he hummed and hahhed about the bags, then said ‘ebay’.... hmmmm, great deal on the vac, BUT, if I can’t find bags or parts, it’s no good to me.... damn, I thought it sounded to good to be true.... I was gearing up for a Saturday trip to the coast...
  13. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    I think I have seen them on eBay. You would think our legend brands guys would sell them.
  14. rmann
    rmann

Name:
    Robert Mann
    If you are spending 3 hours a day beating the backs of rugs with an upright, or strap beater, you might consider borrowing the money to buy a tumbler. 3 hours a day, 52 weeks a year, is 780 labor hours a year that you can devote to other revenue generating work. What's more, tumblers are infinitely more effective than beater devices and can be used to 'polish' rugs after cleaning. We wasted untold hours of labor for over 20 years beating rugs before we had the opportunity to buy a tumbler. It was some of the best money I ever spent.
  15. Sierra Clean Care
    Sierra Clean Care

Name:
    Jeff T
    What about us guys who do 5-10 rugs a week Robert? What would you recommend? I’m looking into a certified pile lifter, that way I can use it in the shop for rugs, but also on some commercial contracts....
    Jeff @ SCC
  16. Bob Pruitt
    Bob Pruitt

Name:
    Robert Pruitt
    I’m no expert but Using the Sanitare to vacuum front and back seems to work pretty well for this hack on location Rug Cleaner. I don’t do the volume of rugs to justify much more...at the moment.
  17. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Sanitaire will work fine for most but the pile lifter opens up the knap better. You have a 1/2 HP motor driving a full bristle cylindrical brush. Nothing better on commercial carpet. I have many customers remark on how the clean the carpet is after just pile lifting.
  18. Bob Pruitt
    Bob Pruitt

Name:
    Robert Pruitt
    Too much for some rugs IMO. Speaking generally... I like the Sanitare.
  19. rmann
    rmann

Name:
    Robert Mann
    Pile lifters are great for cat hair and dust, but don't knock particulate soil out of rugs. Uprights are very effective, but so slow. Strap beaters work but still waste hours a day of labor. At 5-10 rugs a week it may be hard to afford/justify the cost - dollars and space needed - for a tumbler. A strap beater will cost $3-4000, a pile lifter another $2000. Tumblers are about $20,000 (unless you are very creative with steel). Tumblers don't wear out and will always be worth at least half of what you paid for one if you decide to sell. If I was washing 10 rugs a week I'd probably buy one as long as I could figure out where to get the money. In Turkey - where small volume wash plants are common - a tumbler is considered required gear. Besides a few buckets, a water tank and some drying poles it's about all they have in most of the plants you visit.
    scottw, Bob Pruitt and Cleanworks like this.
  20. Rug_Girl
    Rug_Girl

Name:
    Alyssa Tillett
    Wow, thanks everyone for the input. We have looked at the large tublers, but they usually cost around $20,000 for a new one. We clean somewhere between 50-100 rugs a month. I guess it comes down to the cost of the tumbler verses what we make with rug cleaning.

I appreciate everyones advice. Thanks!
    Cleanworks likes this.