Best Way To Dust Rugs?

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by Rug_Girl, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Rob Grady
    Rob Grady

Name:
    Rob Grady
    The Certified machines use the Royal Type 'B' bags. I get them from a local vacuum repair shop. The Nildor Company in Bolivar Ohio is a good source for parts.
    I have 5 Certified machines and schematics for original part #'s.

Attached Files:

Cleanworks likes this.
  2. roro
    roro

Name:
    Ross Craig
    Wish we did that many; we currently use a Badger but they are time intensive. With that volume and allowing about $18 per rug you would recoup the cost in a year, and that's not costing in your labour.
    roro
  3. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    Ideally if volume demanded, you would want a tumble duster and a flatbed strap duster. Some rugs do best in the tumbler but some (tufted, some machine made, delicate, damaged or dry rotten, etc) cannot take the stress of a tumbler, thus the reason for a flatbed strap duster.

Like us, if you don't have the space, budget, or volume for both, a tumble duster is the best option. To dust rugs that can't go into the tumbler a Sanitaire or Rug Badger type duster may be needed as well.

Do the math on how much labor cost will be using a Wolverine or Rug Badger style machine (figure roughly 10 minutes for an 8x10, 1.5 minutes/10sf generally) and see how long the pay off would be. Factor in $400-$1000 for some type of dust collecting unit and build cost for a shed to contain the tumble duster and the dust it creates.
    The Great Oz and Bob Pruitt like this.
  4. roro
    roro

Name:
    Ross Craig
    In our experience Badgering takes at least twice as long as what Jordan achieves.
    We badger before cleaning and then again after the wash and dry.

roro
  5. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    All the more reason a tumble duster is truly worth the expense, just in labor savings alone.
  6. The Great Oz
    The Great Oz

Name:
    bryan
    If you clean primarily hand-knotted and Karastan machine-made rugs, that volume could justify the cost of buying a tumbler. Take a look at the type of rugs you clean and see what percentage would go through a tumbling process OK. As Scott/Jordan mentioned, a tumble duster isn't for everything, as it won't help with stiff backed rugs, hand loomed rugs, inexpensive tufted rugs and many others that can be damaged by tumbling.

PS: We don't have a tumble duster, but often get complaints from customers that think the cleaning has worn out the rug edge wrap. They think we clean rugs in a giant tumble washing machine.
  7. Rug_Girl
    Rug_Girl

Name:
    Alyssa Tillett
    A majority of the rugs we clean come from overseas. We have a customer who buys hand woven rugs from England (most are antiques) and sells them. We clean around 40-70 of those. They are all wool rugs. We do get some machine made rugs in but not as often. I'm wondering if the tumber would be too rough for the rugs we clean. Here are some pictues of examples of the rugs we clean.
    20180129_153101.jpg 20180129_113940.jpg 20180129_152526.jpg

Attached Files:

Bob Pruitt likes this.
  8. The Great Oz
    The Great Oz

Name:
    bryan
    Watching for specific conditions, those should all do well in a tumbler.
    scottw likes this.
  9. T Monahan
    T Monahan

Supportive Member

Name:
    Tom Monahan
    My company, Area Rug Cleaning Company, can own and use anything we make with my other company Centrum Force. Naturally, I have used everything we have made since our inception. My favorite and 'go to' duster is The Tumble Duster:

Bob Pruitt likes this.
  10. Larry Cobb
    Larry Cobb

Supportive Member

Name:
    Larry Cobb
    Certified Pile Brushes also have a black nylon-row brush that does a much better job of dusting than the continuous fill vegetable fiber brush.
  11. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    any pics?