Best way to remove adhesive on carpet?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hi,
I am doing an office job. Commercial carpet. The previous tenant must have taped something to the carpet. The tape is gone but left are two 3" wide strips about 3 feet long of super thick adhesive residue. There is a lot of adhesive penetrated all the way down into the fiber. I tried citrus, A citrus gel, two kinds adhesive remover gels, pog. I can't get it out.
I have a CDS machine so I don't have the super high heat that some of you have. Is there something else I can try to get this carpet clean?

Name
Jeff T
A
Hi,
I am doing an office job. Commercial carpet. The previous tenant must have taped something to the carpet. The tape is gone but left are two 3" wide strips about 3 feet long of super thick adhesive residue. There is a lot of adhesive penetrated all the way down into the fiber. I tried citrus, A citrus gel, two kinds adhesive remover gels, pog. I can't get it out.
I have a CDS machine so I don't have the super high heat that some of you have. Is there something else I can try to get this carpet clean?
Are you agitating after dwell? Use a Oreck, 175, CRB, deck brush? Toothbrush?.......

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
yes I'm agitating. Low tech. Don't have a 175. first shark a scraping tool then a brush.Tried to get the solvent pretty deep into the carpet. I haven't tried the Pro's choice Power solve yet. I would probably need a couple of cans for the two strips. But it's a glue down commercial so I am also worried about delamination.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I'll get a bottle of the oil flo 141 tonight. Fortunately I have a little time . The offices I cleaned are vacant and the rental company doesn't have a new tenant yet. and I have the keys.

Reactions: Sierra Clean Care

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I've heard this a few times, from different sources.... Never tried it.... Any issues?
It smells as bad as oil flow but it is a fine spray that evaporates quickly. As long as you don't over use, it will delaminate a carpet if you use too much. Doesn't leave much residue and can be flushed out. I was working in a rug shop in about 1990 when a guy came buy selling it as chewing gum remover. I was about to give him the boot but the boss, who came from the dry cleaning industry bought a couple of cans. When we got around to trying it on chewing gum we were all amazed at how well it worked. On this type of adhesive, I would normally start with a volatile solvent such as Prochem Power Solve as it is also fast evaporating but with all the gunk already on there I feel the carburetor cleaner will be less harmful. Spray, agitate, rinse and repeat until done.

Name
Jeff T
It smells as bad as oil flow but it is a fine spray that evaporates quickly. As long as you don't over use, it will delaminate a carpet if you use too much. Doesn't leave much residue and can be flushed out. I was working in a rug shop in about 1990 when a guy came buy selling it as chewing gum remover. I was about to give him the boot but the boss, who came from the dry cleaning industry bought a couple of cans. When we got around to trying it on chewing gum we were all amazed at how well it worked. On this type of adhesive, I would normally start with a volatile solvent such as Prochem Power Solve as it is also fast evaporating but with all the gunk already on there I feel the carburetor cleaner will be less harmful. Spray, agitate, rinse and repeat until done.
I learn something everyday.... Thanks Ron...

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
3 or 4 minutes dwell time, then agitate with an unglided wand edge or the bottom of the can to "roll up" the softened adhesive.

Rinsing has never been a problem.

What do you rinse with? Do you throw some detergent on it to break up the wd? Emulsifier in the rinse?
Reason I ask is wd does not rinse with water.
Maybe the solvent or ingredients in wd left behind doesn't leave a soil attracting residue. I do not know as I have never used it on carpet.

But try this. And anybody else that wants to try it go ahead. Results are interesting.
Spray some wd on your hands and rub it in.
Immediately go to a sink and turn on the hot water and try to rinse it off your hands.

Report back on what happens.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Kevin it works well, we use it often.

We use it in the context of normal carpet cleaning, with normal cleaning products. Of course with water much hotter than you'd use to wash hands.

Reactions: Sir James
Name
Nate W.
I'm trying to understand why you guys say use brakekleen? I've used it to take tint residue off glass.. I've also seen a guy used it to kill cockroaches in his house.. He had colorless stains where ever he sprayed it... Shitty tan builders grade nylon carpet... Either way, I wouldn't use it on any carpet..

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Ive never had an issue with color loss, but always give it a good rinse.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I'm trying to understand why you guys say use brakekleen?

Ive never had an issue with color loss,

There are two kinds of Brakleen. Non-chlorinated (very flammable) in the green can, that contains acetone, methanol, toluene, and some other stuff. Then there's chlorinated (not flammable) in the red can, that contains mostly tetrachloroethylene.

The different results could be due to which version you use?

For those who use Brakleen on carpet, I wonder which version you're using?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I used brake cleaner or carb cleaner in a spray can. Works great when you are bonnet cleaning and run across the adhesive. Spray it on and bonnet clean over it . Leaves no residue.

Name
Nate W.
I get the whole chlorinated and non-chlorinated red and green cans, I have never used it on carpet... Carb clean, brakleen, starter fluid used to remove the coating of oil when changing the rotors on a car...

Scratch62

Name
Roger S
carburetor cleaner in a spray can.
I am going to try this tomorrow. I got a call back from my first customer (the landlady with the crazy tenant that used double - sided tape to hold down plastic runners on 400 sqft of carpet)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom