billing for thermal image camera

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I see that thermal image cameras have come way down extech has a unit for $2,995 like all new equipment I buy if knowing I can make money off it really helps justify the purchase. I also see one of these cameras really helping document that the job is dry when leaving and pulling equipment. I see that xactimate has a line item for thermal images, I was wondering if it would be possible to just charge a flat $100 fee on each job for thermal images, this would help pay for the unit. of would the insurance companies freak out if I tried to do that.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I have limited personal experience with charging insurance for thermal images. This response is based mostly on discussions with restorers.

Charging is fine when done as a service. That is the insruance company, another restorer or whoever call you specifically to use your camera to check something out. This is done occassionally. Not every restorer or adjuster has the IR camera. They may be glad to pay you well to take some photos.

When done as a means of establishing the scope of damage or to help verify dryness on a loss your company is handling, the insurance companies are becoming less willing to pay for thermal images. When IR camers when new and few restorers had one, it was considered something special. It would be paid for. The trend now is to view it like any other meter. If you would not charge for using a moisture probe or other meter, then don't charge for the IR images either.

However, there still may be marketing advantages as well as time savings by using an IR camera. This latest drop in prices is likely as far down as they will go for some time.

Scott Warrington

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Scott said it.

It will make you money, but not by charging.

It's shows a higher level of professionalism, it is also a lot faster and helps you document the job better.

Ain't it great, now the negative, you're seeing temperature differentials not moisture. It can fool you, some material reflect and won't give you a good reading. Some materials are dry on the outside but wet in the cavity. Let the Camera lead you then investigate further.

I wouldn't do WDR without a Thermal Camera but you still need your other meters to validate what the camera's showing you.

I agree with the guys above.
I'll also add that it is an excellent sales tool. Some people look at a guy with a stick that flashes and beeps like he is a snake oil salesman. When you can show them visually where their problem is they are much more likely to hire you and feel comfortable with their decision.

Anothe bennefit is that with a good IR camera you will find more water on most jobs.

Scott

Craig Lindquist said:
I agree with the guys above.
I'll also add that it is an excellent sales tool. Some people look at a guy with a stick that flashes and beeps like he is a snake oil salesman. When you can show them visually where their problem is they are much more likely to hire you and feel comfortable with their decision.

Anothe bennefit is that with a good IR camera you will find more water on most jobs.

Yep, what Craig says is true. Back in the day we had more than one skeptical customer question whether we had a hidden button on it. Since they couldn't see the dampness they didn't believe it. With an IR cam one can see the differences in temperature which often translates into wet vs dry. (but not always)

Scott

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom