Birth of a Waste Tank.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
the large sides need to be "broke"...that was the secret of the genie tank...
the tank in that pic will collapse guaranteed no matter how many baffles .........

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
A brake (not break) bends, creases or folds metal sheets. The 90 degree bends in the picture above were made with one.

PowerClean and SteamGenie made their tanks much stiffer with 3 bend series of brakes (45-90-45) around the tank that added little material or weight to the finished product. With an accurate jig and good planning it wasn't hard to do.

Reactions: rick imby

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Just makes sure it is baffled/supported well and if you are going with a similar design as the newer Prochem or sapphire units your baffling will be good and your tank will be solid.

Keep us updated with pictures of the progress if you could.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
you can't add enough baffles to keep that tank from contracting and expanding every time you turn it on....
the welds will surely give out sooner or later.......

steamron

Name
Ron
This account of mine has been welding tanks and drums for the pump and chemical industry for 40 years, they assured me that this tank will never leak and be better then most tanks out there today.
I'm even going to have it polished when done.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
it's like an airplane that continues to expand and contract at each landing and takeoff......each baffle weld takes the temper out of the Stainless steel...it will leak and break witin five years.........

you'll see the walls move first time you fire it up..........where as if the front and back were "broke" as Lee describes it would last forever...................
ohh ya...have you ever polished SS.......ceramic would look and last so much better and way way way cheaper!

Last edited:

Able 1

Name
Keith
A brake (not break) bends, creases or folds metal sheets. The 90 degree bends in the picture above were made with one.

PowerClean and SteamGenie made their tanks much stiffer with 3 bend series of brakes (45-90-45) around the tank that added little material or weight to the finished product. With an accurate jig and good planning it wasn't hard to do.
How thick were the tanks on PowerClean and SteamGenie? That tank is made exactly like a prochem aluminum tank.. But better..

Name
Scott Turknett
I love when rug suckers try to be metallurgists. The nature of steel is that it can flex a certain amount and never crack. How large this tolerance is depends on the alloy characteristics. Any truly professional tank shop can make a food grade weld that will not catch debris.

The characteristics of aluminum are why I cringe when I think of sapphire's aluminum frames. There is no tolerance for flex in most of it's alloys. If they flex they will crack someday.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I worked maintenance in a dairy processing plant 40 years ago. Product pipe was purged with Argon gas to make "food grade" connections, no grinding needed. Just buffed with Emory paper.

Name
Scott Turknett
I worked maintenance in a dairy processing plant 40 years ago. Product pipe was purged with Argon gas to make "food grade" connections, no grinding needed. Just buffed with Emory paper.
The second part of a food grade weld is smooth tie in at the toe of the weld so nothing can catch on an edge, or bacteria grow underneath the edge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom