Black slate- how do you restore it and get it black again?

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
We come across black slate that is very old and worn. On this test tile I used stripper, rinse, then acid, then rinsed again, dried it and then applied and enhancer. I was only able to get it back to gray and I know it should be black.

I uploaded a tile that was close to original one that I stripped and enhanced and the after picture after I enhanced it.

Attachments

• 100_4651.JPG
    100_4651.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 362
  • 100_4644.JPG
    100_4644.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 359
  • 100_4646.JPG
    100_4646.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 372

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Jk

Mikey has some experience with this and should help you here when he gets around to it.

I hope you did that test area in a corner and not in the middle of the floor.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Black Slate is really a dark grey.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bla...k5LOAhWCLyYKHQ4ZCgEQ_AUICCgB&biw=1745&bih=868

Be really careful enhancing stone that has been sealed before as you can "enhance" brush marks and other quirks that were once hidden and now belong to YOU!

Strip it an extra time or two to make sure you get as much of the topical out of the crevasses or is it crevisis?, as possible

and crank some Miley to make the day go by faster..

Last edited:
Reactions: dealtimeman

srosen

Name
stuart rosen
Looks like it is coated quite heavily-needs a good stripping and possibly run a nylo grit brush maybe 180 grit.
Then use a high quality color enhancer to turn it black.

Reactions: dealtimeman

Bryan Thomson

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan Thomson
I agree with Mike.....I have never seen a totally "black" slate......being natural stone it is obviously going to have "varying" tones / color.....also I do recommend using a 175 floor machine outfitted with a "medium bristle" / blue sometimes grey in color depending on the manufacturer....however, be very careful in the abrasiveness of the brush (eg. Nyla or map grit) as they can put " swirl marks" in the stone just like Mike is referring to that could be hidden by floor finish.
Also as Mike said....it might take 2-3 stripping to get it out of all the crevices.
So do a test panel to determine the labor costs and then charge accordingly.
Stone Pro makes a good enhancer that works well on slate.....be careful not to use the Home Depot crap that is a "sealer / finish" that can streak horribly.

Reactions: Mikey P

Bryan Thomson

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan Thomson
Your welcome.....remember the test panel cleaning / demo is more for you to get the price right.......then it is for the customer to see what you can do.

Reactions: J Scott W

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I last time I did a black slate I sealed it with STT CE with great results. I don't think they are around anymore though, when I went to the Easy Stone class Cameron and Ted showed me MB-22, it's clear, thick and odorless like the STT, CE will probably get the same results.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
cameron demille
I last time I did a black slate I sealed it with STT CE with great results. I don't think they are around anymore though, when I went to the Easy Stone class Cameron and Ted showed me MB-22, it's clear, thick and odorless like the STT, CE will probably get the same results.

I think you meant CEX 100. It is very similar. Also Stu's MB-21 Ultimate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom