Black spot on ceramic tile...

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Was cleaning one of my 7 regular tile & grout jobs ( 3 week rotation ) and moved a sign with a square flat metal base and was HORRIFIED by not only what I saw, but SMELT! It had BLACK standing water under it, that smelled EXACTLY like a souring waste tank in the middle of summer.

They aperantly flood there floor and squeegee clean every night in between there regular and don't bother moving ANYTHING and just letting the water stand.

Now there is a 1 sqft square on the tile that is black and nothing I could do would get this up, This ceramic tile with the consistency of a smooth clay pot.
Any suggestions?

RickL

Re: Nice supprise while cleaning some T&G

Not sure what you have tried but if it's ceramic tile I would definately try a strong acidic cleaner such as Viper Renew or Prochems Restoration Tile and Grout Cleaner.
Also you might try strippers like Bare Bones (I use ) Or Johnsons Fastrip and then the acid cleaner.

It's kind of hard to say what to do when we don't know what you tried.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin

I have not seen this type of damage before, but I use diluted muriatic acid on the worst T&G and it takes off EVERYTHING. You have to be very careful with this stuff, wear gloves and glasses, and play around with the dilution rates, I think I use it at about 1 to 10. I use it because it is incredibly effective as well as cheap. But again, you have to be SO careful with this stuff, it puts off some strong gas as well. Probably not a good solution for everybody.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree

Thanks guys,

I tried Vac-Away's PIG OUT and a solution of 40% peroxide + ammonia and they only got rid of the horrid smell.

I will try the Muriatic acid next, I have allot of experience with it and know how to properly handle it.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville

Put the sign back.

Ooroo

:roll:

G

Try letting pure bleach first' clean off then dry; then try acid. That worked on one of the worst restaurant floors I have ever seen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom