Bleach spot

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I've been given the "see what you can do" greenlight for this rental. They were planning on replacing, so I'm free to experiment.

Is this area too big for a crayon job?
it is about 1 foot by 3 feet bleach area. The carpet is beige. there is no extra carpet for a donor.
firstdayofschool012.jpg

firstdayofschool013.jpg

How would you tackle this, what color would you use, ect.
Idiot proof this as much as possible for me please.
Thanks

Cousin

Charles, just a couple of ideas.

Acid dying, in spray bottles, but only if you have plenty of experience working with primaries.

Or cut out a strip of the carpet that includes the bleached area, and going to the tiles, and the width to the left? hand wall?
Put a totally different piece of carpet in as a feature.

M

harryhides

Name
Tony
Charles, it is pretty large for crayons but it can be done.

Hard to tell what color it bleached to, from your pics but if it has gone from beige to yellow - start with a light brushing of pink crayon in a 3 inch square area near one edge - like that small bit sticking out on the right hand side. If it looks good, keep going and then try either a very light blue or green ( blue - yellow) or gray ( in which blue is the dominant color ) crayon. If it looks worse - wipe it off with some iso-propyl alcohol and try something different.

Hope that helps.

Cousin

You're right Tony, it is hard to tell from a photo.
But I think this one is the other way, it's lost mostly yellow, leaving a violet colouring.

M

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I would:

Neutralize the bleach first of. Potassium metabisulfite does this well. As said above, missing colours are hard to see from a pic, but most dye repairs can be done with the 3 primary colours. Be SURE to make your dye baths very weak to start and work from there. Here's a wheel to look at.
colourwheel.png

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Thanks. The spot is pink now. I will play with it and like I said, they are expecting to replace, so I can experiment.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
If they do replace, why not take some home and practice :?:

Ooroo :roll:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I tried to fix this today. I didn't even take pictures cause it looked so bad. It went from, "look, there's a bleach spot" to, "what the heck happened here".
Maybe a color repair class should be on the to do list.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Charles, that's a very large bleach spot to be learning on.

Get some scraps of carpet and make a few small bleach spots and practice on those and once you can do those move on to some larger ones.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I'm going to get some peices before they replace it. One to practice with, and the rest of the apt. complex has the same carpet. I should have plenty to do future repairs with.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Might I suggest a larger diameter crayon ,an holding it lengthwise...

Also for you that might be interested.Crayola manufacturers a crayon make so you can custom shade if need be...

Best of luck ,great post...Caes-08...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom