Blower Filter

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
How many cfms are lost due to the restrictions of a blower filter? Seems like a lot. Looks very restrictive. Would it be better to have 2 pool filter types inline? This way seems to allow the blower to maximize air movement in the tank.

Am I over thinking this? Does it really matter where the filter is placed - before or after the tank.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A lot of guys are looking for more cfm but aren't willing to pay the price for bigger equipment. To try to get a few more cfm by removing your blower filter in nuts IMO. All it takes is one piece of gravel or a filter bag letting go and your looking at $2000 to replace your blower plus labor.

Reactions: TimM

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
On the Butlers, there are 2 filters...one inline filter that we all pretty much change out daily or more if needed for some reason during the day....

But they also have a filter just before the blower about 4 feet or so away in the tank which is a stainless screen that we clean out every week to 2 weeks as we suspect we are into a debris problem...

I think having the filter as mentioned is important to protect your system....especially the blower.

I have seen a rag get into a blower when people were not running any filter system at all....

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
no pool filters...coffee strainers or womens nylon hose....
if you are a professional carpet cleaner you use only the stainless steel filters...

suck a paper pool filter into yor blower once and get back wit me........

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
no pool filters...coffee strainers or womens nylon hose....
if you are a professional carpet cleaner you use only the stainless steel filters...

suck a paper pool filter into yor blower once and get back wit me........

I didnt mean pool filter literally .. sorry ..

hydrofilter_hose_filter_ac10f_flash_cuffs.jpg

This is what I use with the stainless screen .. I was asking if 2 before the tank would be better than using the one plus the use of a blower filter - to create more vac pressure in the tank.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

Able 1

Name
Keith
I didnt mean pool filter literally .. sorry ..

View attachment 12412

This is what I use with the stainless screen .. I was asking if 2 before the tank would be better than using the one plus the use of a blower filter - to create more vac pressure in the tank.

One of those pool filters is way more restrictive then any blower filter (at least on Prochem tm's)should be.. I run filter less EXCEPT for the blower filter. My vac is always the best it can be..

Reactions: dgardner

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
I would dump the pool filter and get yourself a Devastator Filter, and KEEP the blower filter! there are many other ways to increase your CFM, the type of vac hose you use, the type of connectors you use on the hose also can effect your CFM and how your vac hose hooks into your waste tank will also effect your CFM. But always leave your blower filter in place, even if some board guru claims they have ran that way for years. To me that filter protects a major part on the tool that you use to put food on your table to feed your family.

Reactions: Spurlington

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
How many cfms are lost due to the restrictions of a blower filter? Seems like a lot. Looks very restrictive. Would it be better to have 2 pool filter types inline? This way seems to allow the blower to maximize air movement in the tank.

Am I over thinking this? Does it really matter where the filter is placed - before or after the tank.
A blower PROTECTION filter is not really putting any restriction on your blower....unless it becomes dirty.

The downside of taking them off is not really for everyday work, unless a guy is one of those that lets the blower filter get completely coated with debris from not prefiltering incoming dirty water. I do not believe most heavy objects such as...pennies, paperclips,broken glass, bobbypins and such....these things sink to the bottom of the tank, and there are usually baffles to block or redirect things of this type.

Things that float cause more of a problem hair, wood chips some types of plastics, rags,....these become more likely to get sucked up into blower as the water and foam fill the tank.
Many TM's have blower preheaters ( like heater core type ) If you have these on your TM it might be a good idea to check/clean them also as over time small amounts of debris that do make it through the system stop on the face of your BHX. If you have ever sucked up foam and had it blow through your BHX more than likely you will have some build up on them, this can cause CFM to drop, blower to get hotter due to blockage.

The biggest thing about Blower Filter is to protect from a mishap like when you forget about your towel in your pocket and whoops it is gone, or if you are working on rig ( rags again) while running it. Any time you are working with blower running and open access to blower intake many things can some how find there way to the strong vac.
When I was building the VWTM at my old shop I had it running and the guy next door came over, I had nothing on blowers just the open port, he started to place his hand over the open port, luckily I saw him reaching for it and yellled DON'T !!! It was so close it sucked his hand! but the loud yell of Don't saved his fingers, He did bloody his hand but only due to it sucking his hand down and cutting it on the threads of the intake port.
Scared the crap out of him and me.

On a final note, Blower Protection Filter once the wand is on the carpet and CFM's have naturally dropped due to vacuum load will be well be way more than enough to flow what air is coming nto the waste tank to the blower.

As far as Dev, SS CDV, Rc filters vs the other smaller filters, there size is where they shine, a smaller filter flows pretty good actually when clean, more than enough when wand is on carpet, the problem is it only takes a cup of debris to start to affect its flow, they are affected much much sooner.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spurlington

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Some of the smaller filters don't even need a cup full of debris to become restrictive.
They flow nice till you add a little turbulent prespray laden rinse water and airflow drops off the chart.
That is why you see guys having to run two of them to keep airflow at a premium.

Back
Top Bottom