Blower shaft seal

ChuckR

How hard is it to change the shaft seal on the blower. My distributor is 2-3 hrs away depending on traffic. I think I can do it myself.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Never changed one, so I can't help you, Chuck

However I see you're one the elusive El Diablo TM owners.

How many hours on the EL D, and it that the unit with a blown blower seal?

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Thanks Chuck

curious why a blower would blow a seal with only 170 hours.

Once you get it fixed, BE SURE the vent plug is working and it's not over full of oil

g'luck

..L.T.A.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
yeah check the weep holes, I have an old cub xl blower with 4k hours on it, I had the seal changed out however I could have just kept greasing it and it prolly would have lasted another 4k hours

ChuckR

There is a line of fluid coming straight down out of the shaft seal. That is the only place I see any leakage. I do not think it it from the weep holes.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
ChuckR said:
There is a line of fluid coming straight down out of the shaft seal. That is the only place I see any leakage. I do not think it it from the weep holes.

Does your blower have grease fittings on the shaft side or is an oil lubricated?

KBRENNY

Roots specifically told me to make sure the oil is no higher than the center of the sight glass or it would leak. They also told me if it was leaking because it was high to drain to the appropriate level and it would still leak for a few hours and stop. They also told me it was normal for the blower to leak a small amount for the first few hours, probably not as much as yours but they said it would go away. Check your oil level and if it is even a small amount over the center of the sight glass I would drain some and watch it close for a little while.

ChuckR

You can hardly see the oil in the glass. I have not added any to it. I was on a job sat morn I went out to power down and seen a bunch of smoke coming from middle of machine, it was oil dripping on the exhaust. I do not see any grease fittings on it any where.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom