Boned!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Installed a piece of tackles and tucked the carpet down along this tile in a closet.

Restretched a couple rooms cleaned 2 rooms hall closet and steps $228ish.

4 days later I get a call. "I think you broke my tile."

It was fine for 15 years and you did some work in there now it's broke.

It wasn't broke when I left, he acknowledged that, but still feels we did something to cause it.

I know what happened, I moved a heavy peice of furniture out of the master bedroom and left it in the bathroom.

The probably tried moving it back and cracked the tile.

I mean I hammered along the edge near the tile if you've ever chipped or cracked a tile you know it doesn't just break in the middle.

Something was dropped on it that's why it's chipped and popping up opposite where I worked.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
The gentleman walked in there said it looked great when we were done, if I would've done that I would have saw it.

I was on my hands and knees using a staple gun on that edge, 4 days later I get the call.

Last edited:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Sam, what are your options? Is there any chance he has a few stashed in the garage, the attic, or somewhere? Would he allow you to try to match it, epoxy it back together, deliberately open the crack and grout it?

Not saying what you should do, but I would consider whether there is a way to
1: explain that even though you did not break it, you want to help.
2: offer two or three options in repair, including getting a tile guy to fix it (and you return the favor somehow).
If that tile is laid on plywood, he will have a bunch of them pop or shift. It is going to happen. If there is cement board underneath, it was placed on a partial dab of thinset and has been overstressed.
If you decide to fix it, I would gladly do whatever I can to coach you (if you need it) and one day collect a cold one. Good luck!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
He has extra tile

I texted him I know we didn't break it, but I was will to give him his money back $279.00 or turn it over to insurance.

He said he did want all his money back, he thought I could fix it easy. He said $60 would be good.

I'm mailing him $60.00

SamIam

Name
sam miller
My wife could fix it Shes installed tile. I'm sure I could do it too. Just don't want to.

Name
cameron demille
If this was cause by something falling on it, then it's because there is not a proper bond underneath. The closeup of the corner of the tile looks lifted, like it was raised over time from settling of the house. The grout is cracked immediately adjacent to the tile. So you could have caused it, but ultimately the real problem is likely the install.

This tile had to have moved for it to break like that. When you drop something on a tile that has a solid bond, it doesn't chip like that, it will leave a roundish divot, not a wedge shaped void. Also, where the crack is very thin, there are very VERY tiny chips along the edge of it. That is from the tile buckling inwards and the edges of the crack rubbing against each other. It only does this if the tile has enough give, or space under it to move that much.

They could have also very well caused this after you left without knowing it. Usually, when you break a tile like this, the sound is very noticeable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom