Box Van or Extended Van?

Chris Brown

Name
Chris Brown
I am in the market for a used box van or extended van. I have a regular size van now that needs to be retired. Would like to hear from anyone that has a box or extended van. Pros and cons of both.All info will be appreciated. Thanks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I love the box more than the extended.

PRO: You can stand-up in them. Carry everything you need, it's a mobile shop. Easy access for maintenance and repairs to the TM. The machine isn't breathing down your neck, you have a separate cab.

CON: Its a box truck. Big awkward, sluggish gas guzzler. Low branches will scrape it. Parking can be an issue. Some parking garages you can't get into. If you live in cold climate you need a taller garage.

Extended
PRO:Its a van, just longer. You can carry more stuff than the Standard van. Fairly nimble. Fits in regular garage.

CON: While longer you're still bent over or on your knees. Heat from the TM is on you. You can get more than a Standard van...but not everything.

Reactions: Mikey P

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm coming from a trailer, so keep that in mind on considering my opinion.

The only way I'd go the van route is if it were a direct drive truck mount, due to the amount of space it takes, the reduced sound, and how much cooler it is. If you have a slide in truck mount, go the box van/truck route. I prefer a box truck (cab over engine), due to the easy access to the engine and how well it turns.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Extended van for me. Would love a taller I guess call it European style van but there are just some areas I definitely cannot get a box truck in and out of.

So I am an extended van currently....

Would even have to be careful if updated to taller van. Could probably only go mid height size

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
SRW box van. single Rear Wheel box van. With spartan body.

Both of best worlds. Although will be harder to find.

Look in commercial truck

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
of the half dozen CC'ing vans I've gone thru in 25+ years, only one wasn't extended ...and the lack space I was used was a PITA to me

I've always wanted a box van for the room , but it would be a drag climbing in and out of the traditional boxes .
The Spartan/cutaway type vans w/12" box would be the cat's azz though methinks

I priced them new some years ago ...and quickly determined I'm too much of a BD to afford one ....and ext'd cargo vans are/were $10-$12K le$$ new

...L.T.A.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Chris, I have a friend here in Redding that is selling a box tuck in pretty good condition. He just got a ford transit and pulled his Everest out of it. It has a side door and a rebuilt engine with about 70k miles on it. I think he is willing to deal.

alex box.jpg
alex fire.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Brown
Name
Lee Stockwell
I have two extended vans. One a Ford with a 405 slide in, with 160gal fresh and 200 recovery. The other is a Chevy with WM cds with 125 fresh/200 recovery.

Lots of room in both for any job with minimal reshuffling.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
What's more important to you Chris?

Having more space for equipment and the ability to stand up, regardless of how many dents and scratches you leave in/on the vehicle and all other inanimate objects that innocently happened to be in your vicinity. While clunking along the freeway and having no chance of indoor garage parking ever?

Or leisurely cruising along with your slick, extended van?

It a tough choice :winky:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Thanks for all of the reply's. I ended up buying a used Ford E-350 box truck. Having more than enough room was the most important factor for me. Now just have to do a few things to it and have my equipment installed. I will post pictures when it's done.
YYYYEEESSSS!!! Chris took my side:clap::rockon:

Back
Top Bottom