Boxer 421 / maximum effective operating hours

jerry ACC

Name
Jerry Lightcap
I have a boxer 421 that is starting to nickle-dime me with 3100 hours on the unit. This machine is very well maintained directly by the manual. Has anyone run one of these for many more hours ? And what Kind of hours does anyone think I may be able to squeeze out of the system ?
Your input greatly appreciated !!!! Jerry :D

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I have put 6900 hours on my spitfire 4.0. Similar machine, without all the newer parts that the 421 has. Same frame, and engine. I replaced my engine at 3900 hours (it got a rear main seal leak, and I just decided to replace it vs being down for 3-4-5 days fixing it.).

I would say that about 3500-4000 hours is the timespan that little things were breaking on my machine. Generally, i just eliminated them as I went if the machine didn't need them to function. Nickle and dime means alot to different people. What I looked at was if I lost production, that meant more to me than the money spent fixing the machine.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Nobody should ever plan to have a machine past 5000 hours.

If you have a magic machine that keeps running, good, but have CASH ON HAND to buy another unit fully set up in a new van TOMORROW.

My best advice for owner operators who have a machine with 2000 or more hours on it, start writing that machine a paycheck. For every hour put on your machine, put $25.00 into a separate account. ($15 or $20 if your machine only has 2000 hours)

When your machine needs a repair or a part, take the money out of the account. By the time your machine reaches 5000 hours, you should have about $45,000, enough money for a 1 to 5 year old cargo van and a top of the line machine with all the goodies.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
There are plenty of machines that can be used beyond 5000 hours, if you take care of them, they can last a long time. Honestly, I will enjoy the write off with my record year :D

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I know. I ran a machine that had 6900 hours on it when I left. (Still running) Another one that had over 6000 on it. (Still running)

But don't count on it.

I am also used to working for a company that doesn't maintain their equipment. I see how somebody could get 10,000 hours out of TM if they just loved it enough, but not everybody has access to a good service department, or the basic knowledge to do it themselves. What about if you are buying used equipment? When you get a machine that has 2000 hours on it when you buy it, you never know how well it was loved. Chances are the previous owner made darn sure it wouldn't run much longer than 5000 hours.

I still think it's a good idea to have the money to replace a machine by the time it reaches 5000 hours, just like it wouldn't be a bad idea to have money for a new car by the time it reaches 175,000, even though I have driven cars with 275,000 or more miles on them that ran just fine.

what's the big problem with having 45 grand in the bank? Maybe you are getting too busy and would like to hire help.... Buy a brand new machine, and let a new tech run the old machine for you, put the money away for another machine in the same fashion, and when your new machine is at 3000 hours and your old machine is dead at 8000 hours you can buy another new one and retire the 3000 hour machine over to the tech. (Who would think that was pretty friggen sweet to have a "new" truck.)

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I was thinking that... but it depends on who your tech is. I'm used to working with morons that cannot be trusted to do anything right.

Now that I manage a company I can hire competent help that I would feel comfortable turning loose with a new expensive piece of equipment.

It will take a little while for the scars to heal, but I think I am doing just great and keep doing better. It's amazing what a positive work environment will do for a guy.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
So, figure about 3000 to 5000 hours for any of these 25hp air/water cooled units?

What about the average PTO van?

What about the V or AT? How many hours would one expect out of them before considering replacement?

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I don't know anything about the vortex.

Is a PTO a CDS unit that runs off the motor?

I used a CDS that most likely has 7000 + hours on it and it's still running.

The other one I used has 6000 + hours and is a slide in hydramaster unit with a 3 cyl daihatsu engine and a big blower.

Machines routinely get more than 5000 hours no matter what system they are. You just can't count on them as much, especially if you don't know how they were taken care of before you owned them.

I know of plenty of cars that routinely get 300,000 miles before they need ANY major repairs. Nobody in their right mind would trust these cars after 150,000 though. The extra 150,000 miles is gravy, just like the extra two to four thousand hours is gravy on a truck mount.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
TM's are just like cars. At certain intervals, you can expect to have problems. Like, at some point you may need to replace all your hoses on the machine. HX'ers get weaker as time goes on, they can be replaced with newer more effecient models.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Running it depends on your level of wanting to work on and replace things on it. Personally I want newer from time to time with no good reason. You could buy a newer one and use that one as a backup, always good to have a second machine even one with high hrs.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
B&BGaryC said:
I was thinking that... but it depends on who your tech is. I'm used to working with morons that cannot be trusted to do anything right.

Now that I manage a company I can hire competent help that I would feel comfortable turning loose with a new expensive piece of equipment.

It will take a little while for the scars to heal, but I think I am doing just great and keep doing better. It's amazing what a positive work environment will do for a guy.

Hey, whether its a new machine, or an old one....they both cost the same when they don't work, or when something goes wrong. Personally, its pretty hard to mess up a new truckmount, unless they run it without filters in place or don't ever chekc the oil. I never leave my techs to check fluids, that is my job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom