Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
I have a Boxer 421 and it shuts down on really hot days. Whats the problem

Golden boy

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Vapor lock would be it gets so hot it cavitates and and stops pumping water? if theres a temp solenoid and its not by passing like a prochem machine when it hits the temp you have it set at, then it could shut down.

I would turn the temp control and see if there a drop in pump pressure showing its bypassing correctly.

Not sure if its water cooled but low coolant levels can cause problems too.

if you don't have a manual or a good tech to help you trouble shoot call hydramaster or go online and see if they have a pdf for your machine.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
don't know enough about the Boxer to know what shutdowns are on it
But I'm inclined to agree with Charlie....fuel vapor lock

..L.T.A.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Mines never shut down, but I do notice it doesn't like the hot weather very much.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
What was the temp gauge reading when it shut down? What temp did you have the machine set at? How hot was the air temp when it shut down? Where is your fuel pump located? A few more specifics and I might be able to help.

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
Hope this helps...

A machine that has a tendency to shut down inexplicably on hot days usually has an issue in the fuel supply system. The most common problem is an improperly installed fuel pump; the fuel pump needs to be mounted with the inlet and outlet in a vertical orientation with the inlet on the bottom and the outlet on the top. If the pump is mounted with the inlet and outlet in a horizontal orientation due to the pump motor being inside the pump body it relies on being completely submerged in fuel to stay cool. In the horizontal orientation the pump will only fill to approximately ¾ full and this leaves the top portion of the pump motor exposed. When fuel comes in contact with the hot pump motor it creates a vapor lock in the fuel line going to the carburetor which will cause the engine to die.</SPAN></SPAN>

Marcus Van Wyck
Customer Care Representative
HydraMaster
11015 – 47[SUP]th[/SUP] Avenue W.
Mukilteo, WA 98275
800.426.1301 ext 1633
marcus.vanwyck@hydramaster.com

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
can somebody take a picture of a properly installed fuel pump on a 421? Thanks for all your help

Golden Boy

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
can somebody take a picture of a properly installed fuel pump on a 421? Thanks for all your help

Golden Boy

"properly" installed is secured in a position that it won't get hit with the shovels and rakes as you toss them in the van.
It doesn't have to be in the stock location

..L.T.A.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman

Golden Boy

I'm pretty sure mine is installed correctly. It is plumbed right after the fuel tap under the van. It isn't installed vertically. The inlet and outlet
are running horizontally. I've also heard that a dirty fuel filter will cause the vapor lock. Mine is plumbed right next to the fuel pump.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
If it has a computer, I would look into that. Otherwise, airflow would be a good start. FYI Sam- Vapor lock is fuel vaporizing

Reactions: SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I live in the desert and run a 405 and know a lot of guys with blue machines never heard of machines vapor locking from fuel, and Im guessing it gets way hotter here than most places.

of course don't know to many people using hydramasters either one competitor had one but dumped it, probably vapor locked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I live in the desert and run a 405 and know a lot of guys with blue machines never heard of machines vapor locking from fuel, and Im guessing it gets way hotter here than most places.

contributing factors are often the cause, Sam.
chit like too much stuff tightly packed in the van and/or next to the TM not allowing good cooling airflow , rear or side doors shut, etc

..L.T.A.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Just a follow up on this. Its been over a 100 degrees here. Boxer is running fine. My guy running this machine just fills up the van every morning. Since doing this it has never over heated. Have been impressed with this machine. Just hope it never breaks down because it looks confusing as hell to fix.

Golden Boy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom