Boxxer 427.. Ever seen THIS?

breathe72

427 owners, have you ever seen this?

Happened while I was cleaning today.

The worst noise ever.

Drive/coupler between engine and blower?

There goes my week.

Maybe my month.

427003.jpg

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Do you service your machine or do you bring it to your disty. The coupler and bolts should be checked and tightened at least every 400 hrs. The vibration causes the coupler to seperate over time and that is the result if not checked. If you bring it in for service I would find out why they haven't been checking that. Checking it every 400 hrs is as easy as loosening the bolts on the shaft clamps and coupler, adjusting it and retightening everything. You are at the point where the blower has to be pulled out and a new coupler to be installed. It's an easy job but time consuming.

Greenie

I notice the BELT next to the overpriced Coupler is still in tact.

I'm sorry to see this kind of stuff happen, but if a guy can't put a new belt on and be back in action in 20 mins...then there might be a design flaw.

I'm with Kevin, get the BUCS coupler in, and get ready to get dirty.

Name
I'm Rick James
Yeah I have a HM too and I had the same thing happen. I was at a rental and half way through I noticed that I lost vacuum. So I headed out to the van and when I got insight, I nearly had a heart attack. There was clouds of black smoke coming out all doors, I thought the van was on fire. I ran over there, shut it off and saw that the rubber coupler shredded. Had little chuncks all over the ceiling, TM and floor of the van. $80 bucks for that rubber coupler. I heard that happen with HM, gotta keep it lubed.

Name
I'm Rick James
admiralclean said:
A months work?

That can't be more than two or three jobs for you.

Just work another day at Lowe's.

I changed my coupler twice and I can do it in a couple hours, a month is a little long.

breathe72

just change the coupler????

a couple hours????

doesnt the blower need to come out?

thats not "a couple hours".

plus hydramaster wouldn't simply just send me the part yesterday.

I asked for them to send it out and the guy at tech support called me back and said "we want you to take it in, and get it looked over real good before we just start throwing parts at it..."

Sounds great, but this unit needs to be on the road YESTERDAY.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Technically the blower only needs to slide back enough to fit the coupler on but everything has to come off of it to be able to move it around. It will take you a few hours if you have the right tools. Just make sure the side next to the blower clears that belt and pulley.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
breathe72 said:

a couple hours????

I asked for them to send it out and the guy at tech support called me back and said "we want you to take it in, and get it looked over real good before we just start throwing parts at it..."

I talked to HydraMaster and what they told you was you needed to order the part through a HydraMaster Distributor. You could have had this overnighted to you if you called a HydraMaster Distributor and ordered it through them. You can still do this. Chris is a HydraMaster Dist. Call him and order it from him.

Reactions: SunriseCarpet
Name
I'm Rick James
breathe72 said:

a couple hours????

Yeah I live 2-3 miles from HM main headquarters. I took it in there and the tech louie told me what to do, charged me $70-80 for the rubber coupler. What he didnt tell me and he didnt know was that your suppose to lube it. So the one I just bought started getting stress fractures. They gave me a deal on the 2nd one and I did it again, with lube. I have a B&S engine and I pulled that forward to get to the coupler. I dont have a 421. 4 bolts for the engine and thats it. Couple of hours. No problem in over 3 years.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Me and my helper changed a rubber coupler in 25 minutes a couple of years ago on my Terminater with a 59 blower. 4 bolts to move the blower back and slide in the new coupler. Piece of cake. Very dirty cake.

Greenie

Alignment is critical.

none of these "regular" couplers are in the same class as the BUCs when it comes to replacing them, I'm not even sure I would comment if I hadn't done it on a 421/427 cause I might give the idea it's a 20 min. job, when it's not. :shock:

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Coupler replacement on a 421 is much easier than a 427. The 427 takes about a half a day to do. Chris if you have any more questions give me a call again, I'm here to help. Let me know how it goes.

breathe72

Sorry to inturrupt your breakfast, Chris.
Thanks for your help over the past couple of days.

The new blower is 2700 bucks. (2 yr warranty)

Tuthill will rebuild my existing blower for approx 2100 bucks, plus frieght both ways.

I'm not a happy camper.

Gonna order the new one in the morning, I think.

Not 'just' a coupler.

Hydramaster was right. (again)

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Have you been doing your regular maintenance or do you bring it to Interlink? If you brought it in they should have been checking that periodically. Anything else I can help with let me know just don't call before 9, breakfast time. Just kidding.

Greenie

breathe72 said:
Not 'just' a coupler.

Hydramaster was right. (again)

Broken Shaft?
ouch.

btw: that quote sounds high for a rebuild, does hwy robbery exisit in the blower world as well?
Timing is really bad, I "had" a good used HydraMaster spec Tuthill 4007 blower sitting on the bench a few months ago. :(

Mr.V

you sure the blower is hooped??

I had a simialar situation with a powermatic,,,,,I was able to break the blower loose with an axe handle and a hammer......but it could be a different story,,,,,,but i was in the same place where I thought I had to replace the blower

although I had my faithful Cleanco to work double shifts lol

I feel for ya man

I'll never have a direct coupler again

breathe72

You hit it on the head, Greenie.

Tis a broken shaft.

Chris, I was taking it into Interlink up until about 9 months ago, so the fault is mine for not checking the coupler bolts.

I do (or did) the regular maintenence myself, after the worry free thing expired.

The machine has 2000 hours on it. The element was replaced at 1000 hours.

Looks like I will be raking leaves all day here (which is sort of a wand-like motion, right?).

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I've got a couple re-built Tuthill 4007's here. They came out of Butlers so not sure they would work will have to check. Anyone know off hand?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom