Briggs and Stratton engine question(s)

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
I'm looking at a flywheel gasket replacement on the engine:1 day and around $300.00-$400.00. Does this sound right,if anyone has had this done?

Patrick

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've pulled the flywheel on mine before, and I bet that gasket ain't morntwentybucks.

I bet it's a half day job, at most, and $400 is a bit much, but I bet that's what most charge.

Get Les to tell you how to do it.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
admiralclean said:
I bet it's a half day job, at most, and $400 is a bit much, but I bet that's what most charge.

Only since they started reading the carpet cleaning boards.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
a new motor will run about 1k, I would hate to spend that much and still have the same ole motor

John Watson

Prolly do it cheaper if you had a left handed pipe wrench and a deadblow hammer. You sure it is not a crank seal under that there flywheel?? Call Les, he can get you pointed in the right or left direction depending where you need to go!!! Only gasket I can ever remember behind the wheel was sometimes covering the points..... You sure its not just a loose nut behind the wheel of your truck????

clean one

Les, phone number 1-864-233-6442

I only have replace the seal on the pulley side wasn't hard at all and not bad for over 4700 hrs at the time

Greenie

Pmatte said:
I'm looking at a flywheel gasket replacement on the engine:1 day and around $300.00-$400.00. Does this sound right,if anyone has had this done?

Patrick

Actually, for most that don't have the time, or the know how, that $300-400 repair quote wouldn't be nothing but a 1/2 days work, and they are cleaners, not mechanics, maybe should have just got it done, and been back to work?

And all you "call Les" people, listen up, that poor sumbich' ain't workin' for free, so g'head and order some soap or sumthin' if you gonna keep him in the phone for an hour bangin' your gums. Dude gives way more than he takes in this industry.

Becker

Name
Becker
Les with Judson Chemicals ... look him up on this board.

That "$1000" new motor will run you $1,400 in the real world.

Or less.

I replaced a honda 20hp.. New engine was about $1150.00, sold the only one on ebay for nearly $500.00.

Becker

Name
Becker
What can't ya reuse all that crap?

Pulleys come off, Electric fuel pump is mounted on the vans frame rail, shaft? Ya mean the shaft the pulley mounted on, ya mean the shaft that comes as part of the engine?
Shipping, bought it from a local dealer.

Looks like Fedx ground is $45.00

Becker

Name
Becker
MakeJpeg.asp

The engine is not a horizontal shaft. It has a vertical shaft. You can tell this by the angle of the oil dip stick. As far as the seal on the fly wheel side, to tell you the truth, I've never really replaced one myself. I know that you will have to remove the flywheel and I'm pretty sure you can just pull the seal out with screwdrivers like you can on the drive shaft side. If so, all you have to do then is just push the new seal in after lubing it. When I get to the shop tomorrow, I will look at one of the old engines in the back of my shop and see how involved the process is.

As far as the price of a new engine goes, the retail price of an 18 Vanguard horizontal shaft engine with a rope start as backup is $1395, but if anyone needs one, I can probably get you an engine for around $1250. This price does not include a muffler. You can just switch your muffler over to the new engine.

LES

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
Thank you to all for your responses and the link to small engine warehouse.I haven't had the work done yet,just trying to make up my mind as to fix or just replace.

BTW...could I swap with a 23 horsepower without causing any problems? As you can tell,I'm not even a backyard mechanic.

Hey Becker...I thought only my wife and I like Office Space :)

Patrick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom